12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Intercooler And Turbo Change Asap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intercooler And Turbo Change Asap!!!

ok. i just went to texas and back to iowa pulling my 45' fully enclosed trailer. i noticed my trucks mileage was VERY VERY terrible!! and also that the exhaust temp was runing alot hotter, and that the power seemed way down and the boost maxed out 10-12 psi lower than normal and also it smoked a little more. so when i got back to iowa today i pressurized the system. one of the boots was leaking and i fixed that leak. re-checked and the intercooler is leaking on one of the tubes somewhere. and also the turbine in the turbo has some play again. i had rebuilt the turbo and put a new turbine in it and also a banks quick turbo assembly, about 50,000-70,000 miles ago.

so here are my thoughts. i need to get a new intercooler and a whole brand new turbo for my truck!!!!! and i need something ASAP!!! what do u guys suggest?? i am going to rebuild my current turbo and keep for a spare or possibly sell it and i am going to have a shop look about seeing to fix the cooler.

I AM ON A $0.00----$3,000.00 BUDGET FOR SOMETHING GOOD!!! OH AND I AM GETTING HIGH PRESSURE BOOST BOOTS AS WELL. THE CURRENT SETUP I HAVE BEEN RUNNING 35 PSI OF BOOST.

i pull my 45' fully enclosed trailer all over the USA and with wieghts of 25,000 pounds or less. no problems at all. the only thing i never did like about my current setup is that i had no power at take off. it would lag for 5-10 seconds then BAMM she would fly as soon as the boost came up. any suggestions how i could fix that with my current setup??

here is what i have on the truck:
5" straight pipe all the way back
exhaust brake at the turbo
NEW injector tips shop claimed 45 hp and 1-3 mpg with them
banks powerpack kit without the exhaust (went bigger from 3.5 to the 5)
marine timing
fuel plate that came with the banks kit
built georand brothers trans and billet triple disc torque convertor.
1 ton single wheel package rearend
upgraded to HD transfer case
3.54 gears

let me know what u guys think. i am hopeing to get a whole package deal the intercooler and boots and turbo as a package deal from a shop. but let me know what u guys think would be a good set-up.

also i will be putting on the flex-lite electric fans also. and i will be putting on a pusher in the front to help also. and i am thinking about a propane kit. what do u guys think?

thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 09:53 AM

anybody have any ideas??
Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to fix your 5-10 sec of lag and then "BAM", you can do a few things. move your AFC housing forward, turn the starwheel, change your AFC springs or any combination of these. personally i would push the housing forward and turn the star wheel since its free and it works **** good.
considering you are towing alot, i would get a little bit bigger turbo but not big to the point you cant make boost at lower rpms.
another thing, i would find the hole in your intercooler before you go replacing it. a pin hole won't do much at all even at higher boost. thats 1400 or so dollars you could throw at a new turbo.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM

x2. maby a 62/14/65 turbo or a 62/14/71 turbo. i really like my 62/13/71 ss but its close to $2k.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Exactly what is marine timing? Timing set to far in advance will also delay spool up. I've read that Bank's fuel plate is a #11, which is what I have. You may have better luck with a #10 since you have an automatic.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 PM

the leak in the intercooler is a pretty big one. i have 30 psi of regulated air coming from the air compressor and the air gauge i have on my turbo reads 10 psi!!! and u can really feel the air coming out and hissing really good!!

as for the AFC housing that is moved if i remember right all the way to the front except a dimes width back. and also i have played with the star wheel to wear just a little black smoke comes out when i get on it, but not too much. i suppose i could go more.

would really like an idea on the turbo as yes i do tow alot!!!

marine timing is like 16 or 18 degrees if i remember right.

need help fast guys what u think??

thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Racing_Joe66
marine timing is like 16 or 18 degrees if i remember right.
When performance changes with tenths of a degree, that is quite a spread! 16 would be the high side of what your set-up needs. 18 is out of the ballpark. So lets review. You don't know what plate you have, which injectors or what the timing is set at and you want recommendations for a turbo?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Muted User

LMFAO!!!
I thought that when you advance the timing that far you can build too much cyl pressure and blow the HG???
Old 08-13-2008, 01:06 PM

agreed, i wouldnt go past 16.5 deg timing on a stock HG. I would take your plate, grind it similar to a 100 plate and move it all the way to the front of the engine. it sounds like your injectors are comparable to stage 1 injectors so they dont flow too much more than stock.
62/14/71 would be a good turbo in my opinion but a nice turbo wont do much with a big hole in your intercooler! so if youre at 10psi when you should be at full boost i would say thats a big hole.
the star wheel adjustment on my truck is as loose as it can go, heres why... if I am at a point in time where I want to take off as quick as i can, i dont want my AFC stopping the amount of fuel i throw in my engine and if i dont want smoke i just dont mash the pedal when i take off. im not saying this is the right way or the wrong way but it is the way i prefer.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 PM

do you have a gsk? if you dont, i would do that before anything. go with the 4k. this will help you get off the line faster and give you a boat load more up top.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:03 PM

my truck maxs out at 35 psi of boost. but with the leak it will be 24-28 psi of boost.

no i don't have a GSK kit.

and as for the timing i want to say its 16*, but its whatever marine timing is, is what the shop told me.

any reccommendations on were to get a intercooler FAST?? and a good one. is a stock replacement for around $500 good or is an aftermarket one a good investment??

also the same for a turbo and GSK kit??

i need to be back on the road next week. so i need to order this stuff today.

thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 02:59 PM

guys i need to get stuff paid either today or tomm so i have it no later than friday so i can fix my truck this weekend. now i am looking at haveing to pay for overnight shipping!!

were is the best place to get this stuff.

thansk
Old 08-13-2008, 04:17 PM

INTERCOOLER CHOICES:

BD Diesel Cool-It Intercooler $1311.00
Turbonetics Spearco Intercooler $1200.00
stock replacement $1100.00
radiators US $430.00

the turbo i can wait on. but right now i need an intercooler. any help guys??

thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 PM

I see no reason in going with an aftermarket intercooler. The stock ones are proven to 500-600+ hp, so I see not issue on why you would need anything but stock.
As far as hose clamps go, I would recommend getting better hose clamps (also spray a little cheap hairspray on the boots when you put 'er back together).

As stated above I would deff. reccomend getting a GSK kit as it will allow you to use more of your rpms for pulling power.

As far as a turbo goes, I would call some manufactures, Industrial Injection, BD (being probably the cheapest), HTT, ect and tell them what you have, what your needs are and what your wants are.. They're the guys who will steer you in the right direction as far as turbo recomendations go.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM

well a stock replacement one is almost the same price as the aftermarket ones. but i found US radiators to have a really cheap one.

Quick Reply: Intercooler And Turbo Change Asap!!!