12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Intercooler And Turbo Change Asap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 deg timing and water/meth = bye bye head gasket. look at a cometic HG and studs before you do that. I have no experience with hydrogen... where would you get that filled? I know there is a filling station in DC and a few in California.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the hydrogen u can make yourself. as for my timing i am unsure exactly as the shop wouldn't really even tell me when i had them do it. they just said it was the same as the marine timing. i think i am going to call them tomm and talk with the owner and tell him i need an honest answer what they set it too.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Racing_Joe66
the hydrogen u can make yourself. as for my timing i am unsure exactly as the shop wouldn't really even tell me when i had them do it. they just said it was the same as the marine timing. i think i am going to call them tomm and talk with the owner and tell him i need an honest answer what they set it too.
Sounds like the honestly didn't set it at all.
How is your installation going?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:32 PM

yes they sent it. i confirmed it with UPS. just they sent it wrong!! oh well nothing can be done now till monday.

as for the installation the GSK kit is done and also the ELEC FANS. check my other post for findings.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:19 PM

ok i talked to the shop owner today about the timing on my truck. he says they use no timing wheel or anthing like that to do it in degrees. he said they just have a process they do to set it. he said i am probably looking at 12-14*. more like 13*.

what do u guys think?? he said to not even touch it!!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Racing_Joe66

what do u guys think??
They do timing in degrees? WOW!!! What a concept!!
I think you need to find a shop where they know what is what. Stock timing is about 13.5, so I'm guessing you were fleeced because they didn't do anything! Are they the same shop that installed your fuel plate? Do you have any clue what the grind of the fuel plate is? Do you have any clue what injectors you have? 15.5 to 16 degrees of timing is what you need, for now, plus a decent plate. I know nothing about water/meth adjustments or any of the other mods you are proposing.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 PM

if anyone would like to call the shop an talk to the owner by all means go for it and u give me your thoughts on this shop. ask them how they do there timing n so forth!!!

Rochester, MN --- rochester fuel injection (507) 288-8038

i am located in Cresco, IA 52136

if anyone knows a good shop that can do it let me know!!! i would really like to get it checked out. now as for the FUEL PLATE. its the plate that comes with the BANKS POWER PACK!! i put it in and its all the way forward!! i called and talked to banks and they don't even know what grind it is. they said they don't even go by the #1 or #5 or #10 system. they go by something elese and would have NO way to tell what grind it is. sounds like BANKS techs are like talking to the diesel shop in MN.

now as for the injectors. i got them from the shop in MN. i talked with a different guy about these and not the owner. they are just 1 step up from stock. he said i was looking at about 45 HP with them.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:38 PM

GAMES i c that u are from Killeen, tx i was through there last fall!!! my dad used to be stationed there so when we moved my sister to dallas from iowa me and my dad n mom went to killeen to c if we could find the trailer court they used to live in out by some lake on the south side of town.

joe
Old 08-17-2008, 09:11 AM

That would be Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir. Just went skiing there saturday.

Like I said in my original post, I have read that the banks plate is the same as a #11. Do a little research, I believe someone posted the profiles of the different plates awhile back. One step up injectors is pretty vague, but perhaps they are 215s, the same that came on my engine stock. With my #11 plate full forward, 15.7* timing, original turbo and the stock injectors I turned 297/611 on the rollers. Since the stock engine was rated at 215/440 at the flywheel that is roughly a 50% increase. Since you have a 180 pump the same combo would be less for you. I believe that is why a lot of people recommend a #10 plate for an automatic.

Since you plan on doing a lot of different mods it might be in your best interest to just buy a timing kit of your own. Type snap on timing kit in the search box for lots of reading.

Good Luck
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 PM

yup thats the resivoir!!! nice place!!

i am going to get a #10 plate and try it.

just got the new intercooler in today!! but now i think i need to replace the turbo quicker than later!!

i noticed max boost now is 30 psi. instead of the normal 35 psi. and also the turbo takes longer to cool down. i did pressurize the system and there is no boost leak anywhere!!

would that be a good sign the turbo is going?? or what would cause it to not cool down as fast?

thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 AM

did you put the gsk in yet? and DONT BUY A NEW PLATE!!! if you bought an 11 plate, i hope you still have the stock plate. grind that to a similar profile to a 10 plate and save yourself 200 bucks. my plate is flat all the way down and a little ramp at the end (opposite of the mounting side). i cant complain about it one bit. (i think its similar to a 100 plate which is a combination of a 0 plate and a 10 plate)
Old 08-19-2008, 11:31 AM

yup got the GSK kit in. MAN REV'S NICE ALL THE WAY UP TO 4,000!!!!! very nice and smooth!!! yea i have that 11 plate in and the truck barely puffs out black smoke. just a very small trace. and thats with that plate all the way forward.

yes i have the stock plate somewhere. i think i know were it is but i am on the road right now headed for michigan testing out these flex-a-lite fans.

if anyone would like to grind it down to a #10 plate i would gladly mail it to them or if anyone has a pitcure or diagram for me to see would be helpfull.

thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 05:39 PM

good to hear, if youre revving to 4k i hope you put the valve springs in as well, if not dont go past 3200. a little puff of smoke isnt enough, loosen your star wheel a little more. it wont affect egt's, just how fast you get that thing revving. to grind your own plate i reccomend grinding any petrusions in the middle of the plate and give it a little ramp at the end so its straight down and a little ramp at the end, nothing else. its not an exact science, close enough will get it done, whats the worst that can happen you get more fuel? not a problem, you can keep egts in check with the pedal.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:14 PM

yup i have the heavy duty exhaust valve springs already in. put them in when i put the exhaust brake on the truck!!

i will have to find the stock plate and see what i can do when i get home and get it ground. sounds pretty simple. i think if i an do the GSK i can grind the plate.

let u know how it works.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 PM

You also need those 60# springs on the intake valves now. 30 pounds of boost sounds about right with what you have. Before you buy a new turbo I think you need to decide just what your ultimate goal is. Different turbos have different spool up and max boost characteristics. Timing, water/meth, towing, fuel delivery all make a difference. One of the towing duel turbos may be a good investment. Piecemealing it will only cost you a lot of money.

Quick Reply: Intercooler And Turbo Change Asap!!!