12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

How hot is too hot - fuel solenoid? BILL!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hot is too hot - fuel solenoid? BILL!

Well, yesterday the truck wouldn't shut down, so after figuring it was my truck making the sound, I quickly unplugged the solenoid, plugged it back in and started it up. Already have the contacts and plunger from Larry B. coming.

Question here is, I read some threads about the fuel solenoid getting hot to the touch - and infidel says it's supposed to be warm, but not hot.

I can touch it for like 3 seconds before I have to pull my finger away due to discomfort. Should
I be touching the sides, top or anywhere on it. I mean, it's kinda hot to the touch, but not BURNING hot or anything. Call me a little paranoid, but is this normal? I mean it's not getting hotter. But it's still kinda hot. No paint melting or anything.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 AM

The starter contacts welding together make a conductor out of the solenoid, That is why it gets hot. Some get so hot they will burn paint and melt wires. When you ordered your parts did you order the isolation diode? If not, do so. It isolates the starter from the solenoid to prevent this occurring. Cheap and easy to install.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:23 AM

Tuck is starting and running normal. Am I safe on the solenoid?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Bullet
Tuck is starting and running normal. Am I safe on the solenoid?
Until the starter contacts stick again. It doesn't happen all the time when they are worn out.
The starter energizes the high amp lift coil in the solenoid, it will get very hot.
Enough to start a fire.
The hold coil of the solenoid will get the the solenoid warm but not so much that you can't touch it.

Name:  starter_curcuit_diagram.jpg
Views: 8072
Size:  36.0 KB
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
Until the starter contacts stick again. It doesn't happen all the time when they are worn out.
The starter energizes the high amp lift coil in the solenoid, it will get very hot.
Enough to start a fire.
The hold coil of the solenoid will get the the solenoid warm but not so much that you can't touch it.

Well, under normal driving conditions, I can hold my fingers on top of the solenoid, but only for like a few seconds on the sides. Is that normal? I should have them Friday.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:58 PM

Since I have an actual keyboard in front of me - let me try this again.

Yesterday, I started my truck and it sounded weird, so I shut it off and it stayed on - I jumped out and disconnected the fuel shutoff, and it shut down.

It clicked a few times yesterday then ran and started fine - but as soon as I got home, I ordered the Larry B kit.

FF to today - it started fine in the morning and the couple of times I started it in the afternoon - but my question is, THE FUEL SOLENOID IS A LITTLE WARM - I CAN KEEP MY FINGERS ON TOP OF IT AND NOT GET BURNED, BUT IF I TOUCH THE SIDES, I HAVE TO PULL THEM AWAY - ITS LIKE TOUCHING A HOT ELECTRIC DRILL OR SAWZALL AFTER EXTENDED USE. IS THIS NORMAL FOR THE TOP AND SIDES, HEAT WISE? ITS FUNCTIONING FINE - I JUST NEED THIS TRUCK FOR TRANSPORTATION AND DONT WANT TO BURN ANYTHING UP WHILE WAITING FOR MY CONTACTS TO SHOW UP.

I've never actually went underneat the hood and felt up the solenoid, so I dunno if mine is too hot or what.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM

The solenoid gets about the same temp as the injection pump after the engine has been running a half hour or so.
If the lift coil stays on for more than a minute it gets smoking hot, it would definitely burn you.
Don't see how it could be anything inbetween.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
The solenoid gets about the same temp as the injection pump after the engine has been running a half hour or so.
If the lift coil stays on for more than a minute it gets smoking hot, it would definitely burn you.
Don't see how it could be anything inbetween.
I just hope these contacts clear everything up.

Any install notes that Larry B doesn't cover?

Thanks for the help Bill - <3 me
Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Any install notes that Larry B doesn't cover?
What a bear the top starter bolt can be to crack loose. One time I had to resort to a hydraulic jack to break it loose.
Other than that contact replacement is very straight forward.