12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Cummins Cross Gremlin Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Cummins Cross Gremlin Conversion

How do you know it's done? We will all be suprised one day when this person with enough ambition, pulls up next to one of us in a grimlin with astrange rattle under the hood. You will ask if he wants to race and he lives in the huge cloud of black mass .
Old 09-28-2003, 11:50 PM

I just cant understand why someone would want to take on the huge amount of work AND expense that would be involved. To each his own I guess. If someone can pull it off, I would take my hat off to them and be the first person to congratulate them. I still dont see it happening.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:07 AM

I believe that the cummins 5.9 weighs about 900 lbs. or so. You are really going to have to beef up the suspension. If you can fit it in the car it is going to be one hell of a ride. I imagine that it is going to cost a lot of money. Do you already have the engine or are you going to have to buy one. That in itself is going to be a lot of money. Well good luck. Hope you get it done.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:37 PM

hmm, after reading this thread, when installing a marine motor would it make the gremlin float?

i'd say, put an "O" pipe on it with a motor block oil bypass kit (don't want that expensive oil getting dirty).

Old 10-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I've found a fact that could help me...

A Jeep Wrangler has the same 93-inch wheelbase as an AMC Gremlin. And the Jeep Wrangler is actually a popular vehicle to do a 4-Cylinder Cummins conversion on. So, what I'm thinking now is that I need a Jeep frame and suspension from somewhere, find a Gremlin uni-body, hack out all of the frame pieces from the Gremlin body, and then just pop the Gremllin body on the frame. And so it would basically be a Jeep that looks like a Gremlin, but still rides like a Jeep, but even the sucker's way out might be cool. (It would probably look raised as well due to the Jeep frame.) It would probably drive like a clothes dryer, and so my God I can't believe I'm actually thinking of doing this crude to a Gremlin. I should probably just get a real car, but the novelty would be cool for the rest of my time. And you all said it would be impossible. But it would be a babe "repellant". But all the same I doubt its going to happen. But it's an interesting thought.

Old 10-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Banned

I always thought a 1969 Cadillac Sedan Deville with HUGE bullhorns on the front, with a 6 cyl. Cummins would ROCK! imagine that, oh yeah and air horns ...pull up to any major honky tonk bar in Texas and get ALL the women! ;D :-*
Old 10-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I used to have a real sweet 57 Caddie, that I believe a cummins would have fit under the hood! ;D
Old 10-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Banned

Yeah, I think I've put the project on the back burner for now. I'll come back to it in a few years, though. For the money you could have a very nice 14 second 360 Gremlin, which would be faster than all of the bloody Mustangs in the area. But I'll come back to it eventually.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:16 PM

I maay be too late but I gotta get in on this. I have been rerigging, jerry rigging and reverse engineering crap my entire life. You know, make something out of nothing and with nothing. Heck, I don't agree with your politics and I think you may have slipped a gear but look at history and all those inventions we now use daily.(electricity...kites, a key and a lightning bolt...who knew) Get back to us when you get it done and if you need any help just call or write cause I am in. I wouldn't mind putting one in my easy chair for use as a messager and generator.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:28 AM

From the Cummins web-site:

ISB 145/170 - 3.9L 4cyl 145 to 170 hp 420 ftlbs torque dry weight 773 lbs

ISB 185/260 - 5.9L 6cyl 185 to 260 hp, 420 to 660 ftlbs torque dry weight 982 lbs
Old 06-07-2004, 12:40 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
why dont you just GET A JOB like the other 99% of the people here and stop tryin to **** your parents off so theyll buy you a new car...you dont always get everything handed to you in life..........I'm glad theres people having fun in college though....
Old 06-07-2004, 12:50 PM

Buy a wrecked dakota and cut the frame then mount the gremlin body on it. The dakota is basically set up as a 1500 just a little smaller. Use the D/C motormounts stools and weld them to the frame.

I put a 455 Grand Sport stage II in a 66 Cutlass and they only came with the 330 cubic inch engine. The valve covers set 2 inches above the fenders and the carborator was 5 inches above that. We built it for racing but when the tranny goes from 1st, 2nd, drive then passing gear before it begins to move it doesnt work very well but it was fun for burnout contests.

It can be done you just have to think outside the box to do it. Actually forget the box cause you are nowhere near it.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:06 PM

Let it go boys......
Old 06-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Banned

I honestly think I can do this project with a AMC Jeep Wrangler frame, 4BT and Gremlin body for very cheaply, actually. The right year Jeep ( I forget the exact year) has the same wheelbase and width of the Gremlin. The Wrangler is very popular for conversions into 4BT, and you can even get something close to a kit from www.novak-adapt.com. You'd have to mount the Gremlin body a bit higher up on the Wrangler frame to fit the turbo assembly, but that would give it a wicked lifted look. It would also be a 4X4.

Anyways, I'm restoring a 1965 GMC 305 V-6 Suburban at the moment, so the Gremlin is off until I get a real job after college and have money.

As for Zack, as a member of our armed forces you likely have a very self motivated, independent mind, as going to the air force demonstrates clearly that you need no welfare to live. I respect your independence greatly. However, you misunderstand my previous comment, and maybe didn't catch the rapid descent into comic stupidity which is this thread. You think I'm really going to get a purple Gremlin with neon green racing stripes and park it in front of my parents' house in order to get a better car? Not quite. If I was going to do so, I wouldn't be talking about spending thousands in order to make it an oil burner. Also, as you're in the air force, you might not realize that going to college full time and working for a living is not the eaisiest thing on the planet. Sure I could do it by myself, but I'm not too proud at this stage in my life to refuse help from my parents. I was planning on buying the car, I only ever recieved one car from my parents, which is the afforementioned Suburban that my came into my hands after my mother asked me to haul it to the dump. Good luck in the air force.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:01 AM

Begle1
Ive seen a couple 4 bt engines on ebay.

Quick Reply: Cummins Cross Gremlin Conversion