12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

changing out valve springs help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing out valve springs help

Ya I installed the 4k last night and Im doing the valvesprings asap.Just a little unfamailiar with the procedure.Will the valves fall when the springs are out.I know in a gas motor you have to pressuize it through the plug hole.Cant find help anywhere or instructions.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:50 AM

www.dodgeram.org
and
http://cumminsdatabase.com/index.html

get yourself a valve spring compress/install tool...you're need a set of feeler gauges
Old 07-31-2007, 04:38 AM

Ok I read somewhere that the valves wont come out because the pistons will hold them up.then I would have to make sure each piston was at tdc when I did that particular cylinder's valve springs right?Someone whos done this please chime in.the links that were posted doesnt show anything about the valve springs ,just the gsk,which Ive already done
Old 07-31-2007, 06:06 PM

i'm geting ready to do mine and i asked the shop i bought mine form( i trust him) he said if you make sure each piston was at tdc you could change them out easy. you can do 2 cylinder's at a time becuse they fire in pairs. just make sure you have them at tdc.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Banned

make sure the cylinder is on tdc and the valves will rest on the piston, then you can do the companion cylinder as well.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 AM

Got er figured out guys thanks.It wasnt without problems though.On one spring I was maneuvering the compresser and spring into the spring seat,got it in there fine,put one of the keepers in and the tool let go shooting the keeper out.After a minute or so of looking I see it sitting next to the pushrod,I go to grab it and it falls past the rod into the engine! Sweet eh?Anyways I drain the oil,nuttin.So I get a set of vise grips to hold up the one valve stem and I rotate the engine a few times,went back into the pan with a slinky magnet and there it was,must have been sitting on the cam or something.YES I know I should have covered all holes with rags and I did actually on the ones before that.Got a couple more to do tomorrow and Im done.In a related story that adds glory to the day:I ordered a dss and when it came all I got was the bracket,no bolts or bearing or anything.So I phone back,they send the bolts and bearing case,but no bearing guts!So I figure oh well I'll just go get a bearing .Well I get the bearing,proceed to press it in with a vise and I end up cracking the housing.Now I have to find a bearing and holder.Ive already spent at least 30 bucks extra than I should have with this dss.would have avoided that totally if they would have shipped everything properly