Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Changing Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Valve Springs

I'm starting this new thread because several members have asked me how to change valve springs.

I found it very easy if you take the right steps and take your time. I bought a spring compresser at sears for $14.99. I had to cut it down by about 2 1/2" and sanded the top to make it have 6 sides and then hammered a 1/4" drive socket onto the top,This makes it possible to do the #5 + #6 valve springs. I don't want to spend alot of your money, but I used a BARRING tool and swivel on a 3 foot extention which puts the ratchet right in front of the Alt. Doing it this way makes it possible to do the whole job from one spot in front of your truck. Now that I have said all of this lets start.

1) Find Top Dead Center ( I found the best way is to rotate the engine till the pin under the injection pump pushes into the cam gear ) Mark the balancer and the front cover as a reference point for future overhead adjustments. REMEMBER TO PULL THE PIN BACK OUT OF THE GEAR BEFORE TURNING THE MOTOR OR YOU WILL SHEAR THE PIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) With the engine at TDC both the #1 and #6 pistons are at TDC

3) Using a universal valve spring compression tool, remove the old exhaust spring (remove the intake spring also if your changing all the valve springs) and then install the NEW valve springs. Reassemble and repeat this procedure for the #6 cylinder.

4) After completing #1 and #6 cylinders rotate the engine in normal rotation until the #2 exhaust valve is closed and the intake valve JUST begins to open. At this point #2 and #5 pistons are at TDC. Change out the valve springs on both #2 and #5 cylinders. When completed rotate the engine in normal rotation until #3 exhaust valve is closed and the intake valve JUST begins to open. Change out both #3 and #4 valve springs.

The installation of your Valve springs is complete and its time to adjust all the valves.

1) Adjust valves as follows: Intake valves set at .010 & Exhaust valves set at .020

2) Locate #1 at TDC and adjust the following valves: Intake #'s 1,2,4: Exhaust #'s 1,3,5.

3) Using the reference marks you had made on the balancer and cover, rotate the engine one full turn or 360 degrees and realigh the reference marks. You can now adjust the following valves: Intake #'s 3,5,6: Exhaust #'s 2,4,6. All your valves should now have been adjusted.

Torque Specifications:
Long head bolts 89Ft-lbs and turn an additional 90-degrees (the big bolts in the rocker)
Short bolts in rocker 18Ft-lbs
Valve cover bolts 18Ft-lbs

I hope this helps anyone wanting to change their own valve springs.

CRIS
Old 12-27-2004, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
change valve springs

Cris,
What a great idea to print this information!!!!
This is what this web site was designed for!!
If we had just a few more people give this kind of information exchange, we would ALL be better able to fix our trucks easier.
The trickle down theory has almost stopped.
KEEP UP the information exchange so the rest of us can have the confidence to fix our trucks, too.

Whats next on the list of things to do?

My PERSONAL THANKS,

Wayne