12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Can I burn used engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevy43
If you go much more than about 10% you will slowly carbon up your rings and coke your injectors which will cause scoring and loss of compression in the long run. Oil is much thicker than fuel. Fuel needs to meet certain viscosity specifications to burn completely and atomize. The problem is that when people try it it works so they think they can do it over the long run but I doubt it will be good for the engiene in the long run. Veggi oil will run too but has the same problems in the long run. Also getting you drain oil really clean is dificult not to mention all the additives in it.
See, that's what I was thinking.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 PM

as for the viscosity, when you dilute 1 or 2 gallons of oil in 33 gallons of diesel fuel, the mixture does not become noticeably thicker. its like putting hershey's syrup in milk.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:32 PM

woo woo woo Wait a minit So l'm not crazzy!>?!?!>?!?
can l do this with my 2003 cummins??? with my old 15W30 rolleta when l change my oil
Old 04-04-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by BigErksG2
as for the viscosity, when you dilute 1 or 2 gallons of oil in 33 gallons of diesel fuel, the mixture does not become noticeably thicker. its like putting hershey's syrup in milk.

Sure no problem. Someone mentioned a 50% mix though and that would be a problem...
Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Well, I don't think running waste motor oil is going to be good for the engine in the long run, even if it is only a gallon. After you shut your engine off, I imagine any oil left at the tips of the injectors would coke from the heat just like oil in the turbo would.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:52 AM

I've been burning it in both my trucks & I bought the first one 14 yrs ago.
I burn what ever I can get car 10-30,diesel even some atf,couple gallons @ a time it'll start smokin if I burn more than that.
At $4.00 a gal f/diesel I hate to throw it away since I'm savin alittle $$ & can burn it.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:02 AM

sounds like you've been doing this for a long time without damage to your 12v. specifically interested in long term ATF usage.

used oil mixed is blessed by cummins, so no surprise it does fine over the longer term.

how much ATF have you ran?

Originally Posted by sewman
I've been burning it in both my trucks & I bought the first one 14 yrs ago.
I burn what ever I can get car 10-30,diesel even some atf,couple gallons @ a time it'll start smokin if I burn more than that.
At $4.00 a gal f/diesel I hate to throw it away since I'm savin alittle $$ & can burn it.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:24 AM

I have been adding a gallon to each fill up for about 4 years now with no bad effects. The engine runs quieter, I get better mileage, I now save 4 bucks at fill up, and I know the IP is getting a little extra lube which is an advantage with ULSD. I have heard Cummins recommends it also.

I think it would be interesting to try and run a 50/50 mix or even more. I think you would have to set it up like a veggie set up. I would imagine there would have to be a 2nd heated tank, seperate heated line to the IP, etc. The engine would have to start off on diesel, switch to the mix once it is heated to the right temperature changing the viscosity of the mix and switched back over before shut down to prevent coking of the injectors.

I have read about guys running diesel generators on waste motor oil so why not trucks?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:14 AM

I've added a little to my CTD before but my Mercedes 300 would run on some pretty strong mixtures, like others noted you may haze a little more and it smells more like burning oil. But one thing I read before and noticed in running the oil in the 300 was that synthetic doesn't burn as cleanly as normal motor oil.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:34 AM

Synthetic was made in a lab it’s not really designed to burn at all. Im going to have to try this. one thing though when i put a flame to rotella oil it wont light i know my engines hotter and its mixed with diesel. but what are you thoughts on it?
Old 04-05-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by xzaq103
one thing though when i put a flame to rotella oil it wont light i know my engines hotter and its mixed with diesel. but what are you thoughts on it?
Diesel won't light very easily with an open flame either . . .
I'm still interested in trying this as well, but a little more hesitant because I have a built pump and injectors though.
If it was more of a stocker I don't think I'd have much of a problem with it.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 PM

I haven't burned alot of atf just once in a while when I find some.Years ago we had a Nissan Diesel UD truck & some moron there ran it out of fuel & I had to take it on a 800mi trip the next day,wgen he got back after filling it he said it's runnin rough,so we dumped a couple cans of some inj cleaner in it & it sounded better,the next morn I take off & it wouldn't go over 50 & missing usually it'll do 72 all day long well long story short I stopped to get some fuel & happened to mention to a guy about the problem he said dump a couple qt of atf in it,I did & in a couple of mi I was doin 72.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by xzaq103
Synthetic was made in a lab it’s not really designed to burn at all. Im going to have to try this. one thing though when i put a flame to rotella oil it wont light i know my engines hotter and its mixed with diesel. but what are you thoughts on it?
i know a guy..... who out of curiousity poured about a quart of used rotella on a bonfire and oh boy did it burn! burned big and burned hot, i guess it depends on what you call an "open flame".
Old 04-07-2008, 05:05 AM

I know it works great to get our fireplace started.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i've been using a truck bypass filter to filter the used oil, this keeps from cloging the fuel filters have been burning it for 40 years i just seen a surplus 3 micron filter and base advertized from surplus center for $27

Quick Reply: Can I burn used engine oil?