12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Can I burn used engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do somewhat agree with the above post!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:32 AM

With my experience after 4+ years of running it in blends as high as 90% I would find it hard to believe that a fuel that has more lubrication than #2 diesel would be responsible for the pump seizing. While I can buy WMO causing accellerated wear the effects for me have taken ten's of thousands of miles to be apparent & by that time you will have saved enough $$$$ to pay for a new motor.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by shorthair
While I can buy WMO causing accellerated wear the effects for me have taken ten's of thousands of miles to be apparent & by that time you will have saved enough $$$$ to pay for a new motor.
So what kind of accellerated wear have you experianced? Be nice to here some real world answers instead of the normal BS from those with no experiance.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 AM

The normal service of a ferd ip & nozzels are about 100k miles mine already had over 120k on them when I started & were still fair when replaced about 40k later b/c if an irregular idle problem. I think that the greater lubericity of WMO helped the pump but the abrasives & acids in the WMO that can't be removed without heating will in time cause wear. Plus on the ferd with the glow plug system the plugs will collect coke & need to be pulled & wire brushed clean every oil change & wont last as long due to the increased resitance. But as said before you will save more in fuel costs than the maintance could possibily cost, just stay thin enough to start on a cold morning. If you pull the filter of a warm motor the WMO blend will be very thin even if it has a fairly high % of gear oil in it comparable to straight dino.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:54 PM

about 80% wmo in my rig today- my old lady was sitting at a LONG stoplight, and the girl beside her noticed a "stink" and rolled up her window... I hope this is going to work for me; last fill-up i put in 7 gal. of #2 at 392 miles!!! I have to guess on the oil input; gravity fed tank is a little hard to meter- but my wallet meters toooooo good when I don't run wmo.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:20 AM

already been there... done it... 50/50 for waste motor oil is where you want to be... at 90% your injectors will clog..

for ATF yor can run higher due to ATF being thinner.
good call to avoid any WMO with moisture.

I've run hydraulic oils, ATF, waste engine oils....fav is ATF... cleaner and thinner. don't care for waste engine oils..due it being much dirtier... but no problems running it at 50/50

Originally Posted by golddusters5703
currently running my first experiment batch of WO. about 50/50 mix. i work in a salvage yard and we have lots of waste oil- anything from motor oil, atf, to hydraulic oil. i mixed about 15 gallons up of this stuff being careful not to use anything that remotely looked like it might have had antifreeze, gasoline, or water in it. i filtered this oil first by puring it through a heavy sweater then through a denser denim material. from what i have researched denim aka blue jeans is the aproximate equivalent to a 10-20 micron filter depending on quality of denim. my wix fuel filter is rated at about 14 microns. let run for about 2 hours yesterday drove it home and drove it to work this morning- no ill effects. no smoke at idle etc. my nomal black smoke when heavy on the throttle VERY SLIGHTLY more greyish. motor seems smoother and quiter. exhaust smeels basically the same. performance has not been noticably better or worse- unaffected from what i can tell. moreover once my tank is empty i will pull all filters and examine and change. if all goes well with this first tank i plan on filtering the WO further down before putting it into my tank and progressively working my way up to 100% WO.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:21 AM

80% is too high for waste engine oils... to thick... ATF is much thinner.. can run higher % with no issues..

you will clog your injectors.... at 90%

Originally Posted by catnfool
about 80% wmo in my rig today- my old lady was sitting at a LONG stoplight, and the girl beside her noticed a "stink" and rolled up her window... I hope this is going to work for me; last fill-up i put in 7 gal. of #2 at 392 miles!!! I have to guess on the oil input; gravity fed tank is a little hard to meter- but my wallet meters toooooo good when I don't run wmo.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 PM

I have a 97 12V....and I got it yesterday and today, some left over heating oil...i mean Diesel i had in my basement heating my house at one time...= ) and the left over of 6 1qt containers of Motor oil. and a 2L coke bottle filled with WMO...all in the tank...drives just fine. When I was in Iraq we had a few 12V's and a bunch of Ford 7.3 IDI....we dumped EVERYTHING IN THERE!!!!....and beat them 24/7 and never a hickup..suspension broken, rear ends blown apart, clutches cooked...motor ran 24/7 with no issues......
Now if i had a brand new 50G dodge, i might think twice, assuming if i had 50G to buy a truck i prob have enough to feed it. But with older ones especially 12V's go to town...they will eat anything for fuel. just dont run everything BUT #2 and expect to have it start...
just my opinion
Old 10-26-2008, 01:28 AM

agree with the 90% being a BAD THING!! With the cold, I have dropped my mix to 50% or less with WMO. however... I just scored 550 gal of used hyd oil, filtered into my totes!!!! It looks ALOT better than the garbage I have been forcing my old girl to eat back to 70%?...
Old 10-26-2008, 02:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only add WMO when I change my oil. It is too smokey to run really rich on my truck with aftermarket smoker injectors, so I split up an oil change between two fillups. 1.5-2 gallons per 28 gallons of fresh #2 at fillup seems to be a great balance between smoke and getting rid of my oil change spoils in a timely manner.