12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Can I burn used engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you please post a link to truck bypass filter.

Originally Posted by carl48
i've been using a truck bypass filter to filter the used oil, this keeps from cloging the fuel filters have been burning it for 40 years i just seen a surplus 3 micron filter and base advertized from surplus center for $27
Old 04-19-2008, 10:43 AM

Oil Burning

I know I'm going to regret what I'm about to post since so many critics lurk. For years I've been lurking on the internet to find ways to use excess oil that we accumulate at our company. We own a company on a some what large scale. We aquire roughly 3000-5000 gallons of waste oil annualy depending how much we want to store and recycle. It ranges from ATF, used motor oil, hydraulic oil to Transfer case oil. Let me make two important points, we get diesel fuel for as little as 1.55 and as much as 1.75. (Because we use Mexican Diesel) Our American business is mostly in Mexico so rules and regulations aren't as strict. We are still very conservative with any pollution that might apply. So heres my storey
We know like most you shouldn't put old oil in your tanks unless prefiltered. Well since we are a oil recycling business we have handy filtration carts on hand. We were looking for a inexpensive way to filter our used motor oil and try burning it in a 95 dodge dually diesel (375,000 miles)and a 94 F250 302,000 miles) diesel. Both vehicles were ready to be sold for pennies since they were about to be retired from the fleet. We thought these would be good test vehicles since we didn't have much to lose. We thought about using filters of various types to get the WMO down to 1 micron or so, it just seemed to costly to use filters even though we sell them for a living. We brought out a unit that we recieved to demo on new filtration Spinner II 960 http://www.spinnerii.com/index.cfm/div/divID/40/divid/0

Not having even mounted it to a cart or even understanding how it worked I did some research and after some costly mishaps got in functional and wala we have a filtration system that costs us about 900 bucks in the end but the filter paper is some one 10 cents. We have been filtering 55 gallons of WMO on a small scale and can't believe the results. Our oil is basically getting filtered to 1 micron or even less for a fraction of the cost comapred to traditional filters. We started out small on mixing the oil and diesel 20 to 80 and am up to 50/50 being conservative. We basically pay 1.00 or less now for a gallon of diesel and have run 34000 miles on the dodge so far with no hick ups but the Ford wasn't so lucky since it failed to a radiator hose bustying and the employee didn't notice he readlined the temp guage but good news the dually is moving on. This has become so long winded that my kids are needing more attention but I just had to say some thing at last since so many have taken a beating from the EPA natzies. We have very little smoke after doing this by the way but we think it smoked more previous to burning oil do to the age of the engine. Its quieter and my pocket feels a little heavier. This all started when one day I ran out of diesel and used a quart of 10/30 in the fuel filter to get me home. My two cents and you can lash all you want because we are Americans and you have that right. I'll put more detail up at a later time when kids are sleeping and maybe some pics of our set up but no promises.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:42 AM

I am a little confused. I can remember reading posts about adding a bit of 2 stroke oil (about an oz per gallon) to the tank on a fill up because it will help lubricate the internals of everything, quite things down, and generally be a good thing. In those posts, people would say something to the effect; "be sure it is two stroke oil, as it is ashless, and regular oil is not. Anything other than 2 stroke oil will carbon up your combustion chamber."
Now I read in this post about people adding gobs of used crankcase oil, or anything else slippery that they can find into their fuel at very heavy ratios; and that is fine.
OK guys, what is the real story here? There surely ain't two separate truths.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:05 PM

^It's because it's better if you don't add used motor oil to your engine. But with diesel over $4/gallon, people are justifying the use. Just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
^It's because it's better if you don't add used motor oil to your engine. But with diesel over $4/gallon, people are justifying the use. Just my opinion.
I'm not saying your opinion is untrue by any means. In fact, I agree 100% with you.
On the other hand, Cummins does say that you can run up to 5% WMO in our motors. I assume they are giving us a number that is WAY on the conservitive side. I mean, come on. Look how much our trucks come de-tuned from the factory.
I'm not ready to start buring crap in my motor yet, but if we can come up with some hard evidence that can be reliably backed up stating how much we can add with NO ADVERSE SIDE EFFECTS, I might be interested.

Let's keep this discussion rolling along. Maybe we can get somewhere that can help us all.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:11 PM

I would have SWORN I already posted in a thread like this!

I use a dealership to change my oil. They keep some older oil for pre '06 engines and I can't find that in stores.

I DO run appox 1oz of TCW-3 for each gallon of diesel.

I find my engine quieter and feel that I get better mileage because I use it. It MAY ONLY be a feeling, but I drive to get mileage and my overall average stands at 19.22 with trailering and all.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
I would have SWORN I already posted in a thread like this!

I use a dealership to change my oil. They keep some older oil for pre '06 engines and I can't find that in stores.

I DO run appox 1oz of TCW-3 for each gallon of diesel.

I find my engine quieter and feel that I get better mileage because I use it. It MAY ONLY be a feeling, but I drive to get mileage and my overall average stands at 19.22 with trailering and all.
I have mine changed as well. I can get it done for about $4 more than if I do it myself. Plus, they lube everything and I don't have to deal with it.

I don't own any personal rigs that re '06 or newer. What is the difference in oil requirements? Full synthetic ony? Or what?

What is TCW-3?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 PM

TCW-3 is ashless 2-stroke oil that I'm SURE will help my pump last longer and pretty sure it helps with engine noise and MPG.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by BigErksG2
as for the viscosity, when you dilute 1 or 2 gallons of oil in 33 gallons of diesel fuel, the mixture does not become noticeably thicker. its like putting hershey's syrup in milk.

the mixture does not become noticeably thicker. its like putting hershey's syrup in milk.

Gee I think I was adding too much milk to my syrup, because it is defiantly thicker.
Jim
Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason I started this thread is I read a bulletin from Cummins somewhere that they suggest running 5% used engine oil in the fuel. I didn't do it because I am trying to justify burning anything in my truck to save money. I wanted to know why Cummins suggests this, if anyone else has done it and if there are any DOCUMENTED ill side effects to running used oil as Cummins suggests.

When I post to this and other boards I get all kinds of responses and advice from people that turn out to be opinions and advice based on theory not actual experience. Has anyone done this and what were the results, good and bad? Please post your experience burning used oil as Cummins suggests.

Last edited by bob95065; 04-22-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: I hit a hotkey to post by mistake before I was done typing
Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 AM

early 07

Would it be acceptable to burn 1 gal. per tank in an early 07 5.9?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:39 PM

I run the 2 Stroke in my 06 and it seems to make my engine happy. As for the WMO... Cummins makes a system for their OTR engines that constantly tests the qualities of the motor oil in the crankcase and when the oil starts to deteriorate their system diverts hot motor oil back to the fuel tanks. The driver checks the level every day or so and if it's low he simply adds oil instead of ever changing the oil. Like someone before me said, Cummins says 5% is okay... they're probably being very, very conservative.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Somebody asked, but I don't think it was ever answered--what about running the WMO in 24 valves with the VP44?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 24 valve VP44, I run 1 to 1.5 gallons per fill up of WMO when I have it. It's better than recycling the stuff and all that I have ever noticed is my filter gets a little darker. Fuel pressure seems fine, VP is quiet.

One ill effect, truck smokes more when you get on it hard.

I filled up two days ago, added one quart of two cycle oil and 1 gallon of used motor oil I had in a jug in the bed. Last fill up previous to this one, I added almost 2 gallons of used motor oil with no two cycle oil.

If I had a 12 valve, I wouldn't even think twice about adding a few gallons-5 or so. With my vulnerable VP44, I'm comfortable adding 1-2 gallons. If I had a common rail, I'd only add used dirty oil if I had a fancy 2 micron filter since those injectors are so finicky.

The gentleman who did the lubricity study on two stroke oil tested used motor oil and it didn't really change the lubricity of the fuel, thats why I still make sure there is at least traces of the 2 stroke TC3w walmart oil to help lube the dryer ULSD. I have ran many quarts of tranny fluid through my truck to clean the fuel system. Just scared to run it too often due to the red dye and fear of a fine without the benefit of using the cheaper off road fuel.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by bob95065
The reason I started this thread is I read a bulletin from Cummins somewhere that they suggest running 5% used engine oil in the fuel.

I'd love to see that bulletin. Cummins used to make a system that injected used motor oil into their big engines. It was very pricey and did not have a model for the 5.9

Personnally, I think anyone who burns anything other than fuel and additives that are designed for diesel engines is asking for trouble. Chicken Little lubricity scares crack me up. I've run more ULSD through my engine in the last two years than most members will use in a lifetime. Still running the original injector pump and I did break down at 570k and replace the injectors. They still worked fine, but had run so much fuel through them that the holes were enlarged and I was getting more smoke than I wanted. Saving a few bucks in fuel, which is not a given, will more than likely cost you big bucks over time.

Quick Reply: Can I burn used engine oil?