12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Can I burn used engine oil?

Old 04-23-2008, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got a 97 too... look inside your owners manual. states it's ok to run used motor oil. been awhile since I looked at it, don't remember amount recommended.

Originally Posted by GAmes
I'd love to see that bulletin. Cummins used to make a system that injected used motor oil into their big engines. It was very pricey and did not have a model for the 5.9
Old 04-23-2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2500
got a 97 too... look inside your owners manual. states it's ok to run used motor oil. been awhile since I looked at it, don't remember amount recommended.
You need to read it again. Page 128

"Lube oil blending with the fuel is not permissable. Damage to the catalyst will result"

Doesn't sound like a recommendation from Dodge or a suggestion from Cummins to me.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 AM

ok.. thanks.. could have swore I read somewhere in a cummins manual that it was OK to use a small percentage of engine oil.

"Lube oil blending with the fuel is not permissable. Damage to the catalyst will result"

Doesn't sound like a recommendation from Dodge or a suggestion from Cummins to me.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by xzaq103
Synthetic was made in a lab it’s not really designed to burn at all. Im going to have to try this. one thing though when i put a flame to rotella oil it wont light i know my engines hotter and its mixed with diesel. but what are you thoughts on it?
I work in a lab with the USAF and do a flash point on JP8 everyday. It ranges between 120 and 135 degrees. Diesel flash point is very much like the Jet fuel. I would think a gallon per fill up wouldn't hurt anything. I am going to try it in the future.

Later,
Old 04-23-2008, 10:49 PM

im pretty sure catalyst is the same as a catalytic converter, and i don't know about you, but not many people with 12v's have one on there truck wether they took it off and the truck never came with one. my exhaust consists of a 4" downpipe to a 2ft section of 4" to my 6" stack so theres nothing to get clogged.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:27 AM

I guess I would still worry about carbon build-up in the combustion chamber and dirty injectors. I agree that filtering it somehow would be fairly important prerequisite too. But it probably burns pretty dirty even if filtered. Anyone tore down an engine after burning a considerable amount of used motor oil?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 AM

I was actually going to go ahead and give this a shot, about a gallon. BUT I realized that when I change my oil I only get about 3 gallons every 5-6k miles. That's $12 worth of fuel over the course of 5k miles... Not worth it imo.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Banned

i take mine right from the oil pan strait to the tank i ran 6 gal once got a little stinky but ran perfect
Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by 95dodgectd
im pretty sure catalyst is the same as a catalytic converter, and i don't know about you, but not many people with 12v's have one on there truck wether they took it off and the truck never came with one. my exhaust consists of a 4" downpipe to a 2ft section of 4" to my 6" stack so theres nothing to get clogged.
Whether or not you have a catalyctic converter installed isn't the point. Neither Dodge or Cummins recommends adding motor oil to the fuel, as was suggested. Next, some fool is going to exclaim that adding toothpaste to the oil will clean the valves.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whether or not you have a catalyctic converter installed isn't the point. Neither Dodge or Cummins recommends adding motor oil to the fuel, as was suggested. Next, some fool is going to exclaim that adding toothpaste to the oil will clean the valves.

I heard it works and for sure the truck will not have cavities just mix it with a little acetone
Old 04-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
I heard it works and for sure the truck will not have cavities just mix it with a little acetone
I prefer Crest over Colgate. I see less smoke with the Crest and about a 2mpg increase over the other brand.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy

Don't stop with acetone!! How about a brew including ATF, 2-cycle oil and vegetable oil plus some V-8 so you won't get clunked on the forehead.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:45 PM

Due a lil more research Cummins actually has had systems built in that would pump waste oil into fuel system then refill crankcase with fresh oil on the fly.

My injectors are running smoother after running waste oil

Bob
Old 04-24-2008, 11:59 PM

My 08 say 15% bio diesel, WMO will it work at do no harm???
Old 04-25-2008, 12:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
just an FYI

The cummins system was called Centinel.

Basically automatically took oil from the crankcase end of the unit, and pushed it back to the fuel tanks. Engine oil was replenished from an OEM supplied make-up oil tank mounted on board.

Worked fairly well, however, with the attention span of most operators these days, I don't see the make up tank getting checked often enough, would probably lead to problems down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I burn used engine oil?