12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

blow by

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blow by

a friend wants me to work on his truck. 95 12 valve. 180,000 miles. blowby comes out the dipstick tube real bad. he heard a rumor that on the4 drivers side of the motor where the blowby tube comes out of the motor to dump on the grownd. that there is a filter up in there that gets plugged up and causes this. so he blew air pressure up into that hole to try and unclogg it. it got better for a minute and then started to do the same thing again. now he wants me to pull the side cover off the motor to change that filter. does any1 know anything about this?
Old 03-05-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Pulling the cover off to get at the filter is a major job, almost everything on the driver's side of the engine has to come off.
Main reason this filter plugs up is from using gasser motor oil.
I would try injecting some sort of solvent though the breather to flush it clean in conjunction with an oil change rather than taking everything apart.
Also make sure it's not a vacuum leak that is causing the excessive blowby.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:35 PM

so tihis could be true. some1 has heard of it before. any help on getting that cleaned whithout pulling that side cove? does the injector pump have to be removed? so u sugest going up that tube with carb cleaner, solvent, or some other fluid. and that fluid will end up in the crankcase. hence the oil change?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never gone as far to to remove the side cover but have looked it over and it appeared that the injection pump had to come off.
If I were to do I'd use electronic cleaner since it leaves no residues.
Have to wonder how deep the sludge deposits are in the rest of the engine for it to plug as the filter is very course. I think it's more designed to keep insects from climbing in than to keep anything from coming out.
Reason gasser motor oil causes this problem is that it isn't designed to hold the soot a diesel produces in suspension.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 AM

so this is almost a sceen type filter? any1 have a picture of what it looks like? ive done some searching. i am gunna go in and check for a vaccum leak. still kinda confused on how to check the vaccum pump? can i check vaccum anywhere and it should have 20 inces? can i disconnect the exhaust from going into the crankcase somewhere? where is the vaccum pump located. is it belt driven, or chain?