12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Another Fuel filter question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Fuel filter question...

So I'm changing my fuel filter for the first time and following the directions on dodgeram.org My question is that you're supposed to put clean diesel in the new filter...Where should I get this from? Run to the gas station and fill up a gerry can, or is there some where I can easily milk a lil out of the engine? Kind of a silly question, but I haven't been able to find any reference to this, everyone just says put clean diesel in, but no mention from where...I don't just have a can of diesel laying around....yet, I guess.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:39 PM

Thumbs up fuel filter

i usually just drain the fuel filter canister, replace the filter and then fill the canister back up with the fuel i drained out. then crack the air bleed on top of the filter head and push the primer button until all air escapes. then if you have to bleed the lines. it is a good idea to clean the fuel strainer as well.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Darn it, I was thinking of doing that, but the directions on dodgeram say to put in clean diesel and just dump the fuel from the old back in the tank. I was thinking why can't you just put it back in the new one, it was in one before...But figured there must be a good reason and dumped the fuel back in my tank. Now I have nothing to put in the new one.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:10 PM

If no water and it looks clean, I would just pour it back in. I don't think yours is HPCR so if it was me I would just pour ATF in it. Some people on here would frown on it but I always do it to my 87 6.9 that doesn't have a way to prime it except starter. Never any problems 14 years I have had it either.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:18 PM

Well I just ended up going to the station and getting a lil Bio to fill it, next time I'll just reuse whats in there...
Old 10-16-2006, 09:07 PM
JKM

Best thing to do , is get rid of the fuel that comes out of the filter , do not put it back in the tank, DO NOT put it back in the new filter, it is contaminated, it is full of dirt , and anything else the filter traps, dumping it into the new filter is the worst , it can let contamination into the "clean" side of the new filter , and there is nothing to stop it after that.

Best case scenario, put the new filter on empty , and bleed it with the vent on the top, second best , partially fill the filter with fuel conditioner , then put it on and bleed. I know bleeding is a PITA , but so is pulling the IP or injectors because they got damaged by dirty fuel.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the advice, next time I'll put fuel conditioner in it...hopefully I didn't cause any problem by just putting new fuel in there.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:15 AM

Thumbs up fuel filter

a way you can filter the fuel is to use a paint strainer. kind of like a coffee filter. just filter the fuel and fill the canister. do not pour it directly in the middle of the filter. only the outside where the holes are. fill it with fuel and a good dose of fuel conditioner.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you have an air compressor my method works great. Install an empty new filter, open the bleed screw on top of the filter housing, pressurize the fuel tank though the fill hole, 10 psi max. The filter will fill and bleed in about 15 seconds, no need to pump the primer.
I use an old fuel cap with an air port drilled and tapped into it but an air blow gun wrapped in a rag will also work.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
If you have an air compressor my method works great. Install an empty new filter, open the bleed screw on top of the filter housing, pressurize the fuel tank though the fill hole, 10 psi max. The filter will fill and bleed in about 15 seconds, no need to pump the primer.
I use an old fuel cap with an air port drilled and tapped into it but an air blow gun wrapped in a rag will also work.

A vote for Bill's method from me. I use this for changing filters and also used it when I replaced the lift pump. I have a little air bubble and used a blow gun with a rag. Took 10-15 seconds before fuel was spilling out of the bleed screw.