12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

97 runs bad after warm-up - very frustrating

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding is the WVO must be at 160+ degress NOT the engine. You must monitor oil temp and not switch untill it is warm in the tank. I have a feeling the blend can cause coking problems as well. I wanted to blend, but from what I found it seemed to be a bad idea long term.
On my truck the fuel line for the WVO is totally encased inside coolant lines from the rear of the truck to the engine so if the coolant is 160 degrees the oil is too. At least that is the theory anyway! ;-)
Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dhorn33
On my truck the fuel line for the WVO is totally encased inside coolant lines from the rear of the truck to the engine so if the coolant is 160 degrees the oil is too. At least that is the theory anyway! ;-)
Gotcha. In theory...so long as heat transfer is fast enough enough.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 AM

A lot of people install a flat plate heat exchanger too to get the oil even hotter. I think the hotter the better with wvo.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 PM

I have been running WVO for two years now in mine (>35,000 miles). The WVO in the system (two tank system) I have is at 160 degrees before being injected into the engine AND the engine is at operating tempeture (At least 170 degrees). I also installed a 190 degree thermostat. I have heard rumors of the 5.9 not liking any hotter temps but nothing can be substantiated that I'm aware of.

I love both the CTR and WVO and to my great delight the 12 Valve is one of the easier to convert and more forgiving motors for WVO.

David
Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm just catching up since my last post here. The diesel/wvo mix had nothing to do with the problem - it was totally eliminated with the replacement of the lift pump. Since then I order a permanent in-cab 0-60 psi fuel pressure gauge that I'll be installing very soon so I can keep an eye on it from then on.

I've also submitted a credit card dispute with my bank for the $530 and change due to the fact I didn't receive ANY benefit or relief from the problem from the work they supposedly performed and charge for. They just responded and said I need to get a neutral 3rd party merchant opinion stating the work wasn't done correctly or wasn't needed as well as an estimate of repair. The bank is also requiring the date of my last contact with the merchant who did the work along with their response so it looks like I'll be paying them one more visit. The guy I buy the diesel/wvo mix from recently provided the name of a respected diesel mechanic that I'm going to contact to see if he will work with me to get this info.

Last week or so back I also crawled under the truck to check the tank to see if they was any evidence of them dropping the tank and removing the tank module like they said they did. Guess what? There hasn't been a tool that's touched the hose clamps anywhere along the length of the fill/vent hoses from the side of the bed to where they connect with the tank. Also, the tank module connections also show no evidence of them being disconnected - the usual road grime is completely intact with no smearing or clean areas at all. So, my suspicions are confirmed - they said they did something and really didn't. I also couldn't see any problem with any of the rubber grommets holding any of the fuel or electrical connection plugs into the top of the tank module nor were there any missing hose clamps as they claimed (I forgot to mention this in my last post that they tried to get me to buy this claim so they could sell me a new tank module for $510). They also wrote up on the shop invoice that the old lift pump was leaking into the crankcase so besides replacing the lift pump they recommended a new fuel filter and oil change. From my inspection of the old lift pump I can't see or smell any diesel fuel on the back side of the pump at all so I'm counting this an another attempt on their part to soak me for more money. When I get in touch with the diesel mechanic I'll have him give an opinion on this too.

As you can probably imagine I'm more than just a little miffed about how they screwed me and tried to get even more out of me. It will likely be sometime next week or so before I can get the mechanic to check things out and get a response from the crooked merchant and get this to the bank. As soon as I have more news I'll update this post.

Steve