12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

4WD vs 2WD rear axle shock mounts & anti-sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4WD vs 2WD rear axle shock mounts & anti-sway bar

I am in the process of converting my 140k mile 1998 12 valve QC 5 speed from 2WD to 4WD. The truck has the factory tow and camper packages. I purchased a straight 1998 4WD frame with front suspension and Dana 60 axle with 180k miles from a salvage yard in Texas. I have refurbished the front axle, stripped the frame and painted both. I want to re-use my 2WD Dana 80 rear axle. I've seen pics on the web that show the position of the rear axle shock/antisway bar brackets. They appear to be positioned differently between 2WD and 4WD. The 4WD brackets are clocked so the mounting holes for the shocks are closer to the frame. I've read the pinion angle is different between 2WD and 4WD - I think this can be addressed with wedges. I have also read that a few people have just bolted in 2WD axles in a 4WD without making changes and have not had any issues.

Questions:
      Thanks for the help!
      Old 06-03-2017, 09:50 AM

OK. Due to the number of replies, I will assume that no one knows the answers to my questions.

I have ordered a 4x4 rear anti-sway bar from a salvage yard. The difference in design between the 4x4 anti-sway bar and the 2x4 anti-sway bar may help answer my questions.
      Old 06-03-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
      Shock brackets are different 2wd to 4x4.
      The 4x4 sway bar bolts to the 4x4 shock mount brackets, so I assume when you change those the sway bar would be different. The 4x4 axle also sit on lift blocks that the 2wd trucks do not come with.
      I hope that helps.
      Old 06-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
      Shock brackets are different 2wd to 4x4.
      The 4x4 sway bar bolts to the 4x4 shock mount brackets, so I assume when you change those the sway bar would be different. The 4x4 axle also sit on lift blocks that the 2wd trucks do not come with.
      I hope that helps.
      My 2wd truck has the camper special group. The anti-sway bar is bolted to the shock brackets on my truck. My shock brackets are clocked downward compared to 4x4 brackets moving the bottom of the shock closer to the ground. The shock brackets that are designed for anti-sway bars are different than regular shock brackets. They are longer and have 3 holes for mounting the anti-sway bar. Only 2 of those holes are used to mount the anti-sway bar. The brackets are the same for left and right. The center hole is used for both left and right side. While the other holes are left side / right side dependent. I have the lift blocks and axle U-bolts from the donor 4x4 truck, but did not think to grab the anti-sway. I assumed they were the same........$45 mistake. If it's dry next week, I will visit a salvage yard with my angle finders and attempt to determine the difference in degrees between the 4x4/2wd anti-sway brackets and pinion angle.
      Old 07-01-2017, 08:39 PM

Bringing this to the top.

Still looking for this information. I haven't made it to the salvage yard, but I do have the frame separated from the cab and the Dana 80 is unbolted from the 2WD frame. I will be transferring parts from the 2WD frame to the 4WD frame this weekend. Soon I will be ready to install the Dana 80 on the 4WD frame. I must figure this out before I install the axle.

Thanks for any information or suggestions you can share with me.
      Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 PM

I now have the 4 wheel drive frame cleaned, painted and fully assembled with the exception of the rear axle. I have acquired a 4WD rear anti-sway bar. It is definitely different from the 2WD anti-sway bar. The 4WD Dana 80 cover arrived yesterday. The fill hole is 1" higher than the 2WD cover. The higher fill hole explains the extra 1.6 quart oil capacity of the 4WD axle.

I will be grinding the welds off the shock brackets, re-clocking them to the 4WD position and welding them to the axle tube. It is obvious by comparing pictures of the 4WD and 2WD axles that the brackets are clocked differently.

Can someone with a 4WD measure from the center of the axle tube to the center of the lower shock mount hole?

The angle of the shock mounting bracket (at the bottom)?

The angle of the top of the spring pad?

I've read, but cannot confirm the 4WD axle has a pinion angle than the 4WD axle.
      Can someone with an angle finder measure the angle of the pinion yoke relative to the spring pad?

The only nearby salvage yard that has a 4WD axle is over 1 hour away and isn't open on Saturday. If anyone can get those measurements for me, it will be a big help. Thanks.
      Old 11-24-2017, 10:49 AM

2WD Dana 80 axle convertee to 4WD

I drove to a salvage yard and grabbed measurements. The shock brackets are clocked 5 degrees downward on a 4WD rear axle. On a 2WD rear axle, the brackets are clocked downward 23 degrees. The measurements were taken with the spring pad level (0 degrees). The pinion angles are the same. I ground the welds from the shock brackets on my 2WD axle, re-clocked them to match the 5 degree downward angle for 4WD and welded them in place. I also installed the 4WD Dana cover (Dana part # 42434). So, I have effectively converted my 2WD Dana 80 axle to a 4WD axle.
      Old 02-26-2024, 12:07 AM

Thank you for this info. Even though you didn't get your questions answered you followed through with the conclusion and in doing so helped me.