Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

xzt and boost fooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xzt and boost fooler?

can i run an quad xzt and a boost fooler at the same time? bc ive heard that the quad only puts out about 28 psi of boost and the boost fooler is said to be able to push 35 psi. im gonna get the boost elbow and the xzt but if i could run the boost fooler to id do it. im pretty sure that theyd hook up fine im just wondering if you could do it.

any help would be appreciated,

matt
Old 09-14-2009, 03:02 PM

i'm pretty sure the xzt+ already has a boost fooler incorporated into it. just get a plug for the wastegate line off the turbo and you should see more boost. with what you see in my sig i am at 30lbs of boost.

i'm gonna' follow this thread though - because if that is the case (additional boost fooler adds more boost) then i may do that also.

give quadzilla a call. they have great customer service.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:21 PM

Since the xzt already boost fools I dont think a seperate boost fooler would do anything. With just the xzt 28 lb seems pretty normal, get some injectors and the boost elbow or maybe j-hook and you should see some higher numbers. The higher the # isn't always the better though, so be careful.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 PM

so the boost elbow is the key to making more boost?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 PM

yes, or just blocking off the wastegate port all together. instead of using an adjustable boost elbow i just screwed in a npt pipe plug and have been good ever since then.

a boost fooler will not make more boost some would say - rather it just fools the ECM into thinking the boost numbers are still well within factory normal limits when indeed they may not be.

more fuel = more boost . . .
Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
yes, or just blocking off the wastegate port all together. instead of using an adjustable boost elbow i just screwed in a npt pipe plug and have been good ever since then.

a boost fooler will not make more boost some would say - rather it just fools the ECM into thinking the boost numbers are still well within factory normal limits when indeed they may not be.

True
There are 3 sides to making more effective boost and power. 1. the boost fooler which limits the electronic signal going to the ecm so it effectively "fools" it so defueling won't occurr. 2. The boost elbow which is the mechanical portion to limit the waste gate from opening, thus building more boost. 3. Larger injectors to fuel and thus mix w/the air (boost). Max effective boost s/b around 35psi for an HX-35 as anything more is just literally hot air. JMO.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd

how do you block off the wastegate port? and what is a npt pipe plug?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:04 PM

on my truck the line to the wategate was a soft line. some trucks have a hard line. at the turbo end of the line is a an NPT (national pipe thread) fitting which screws into the turbo which allows the wastegate to get it's pressure signal. what i did was remove the line and unscrew the fitting, i then replaced it with a plug of the same thread size (1/8 NPT), so instead of having the stock fitting with a hole running thru it connected to the soft line, i now have a plug which occludes completely.

go have a look at your turbo and find your wastegate. see if the line connecting the 2 is soft or hard. soft lines and hard lines vary depending on year/transmission - i don't t know the specifics . . .

your options to occlude or restrict the wastegate depend on whether you have a soft line or hard. just have a look see and we'll go from there. looking at the turbo from the front of the truck the wastegate should be to the lower right of the turbo.