24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

tourque converter

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tourque converter

I believe my tourque converter is making a very load noise. Dosnt seem to be slipping as I drive. I hear it spin for 2 seconds Apon shutdown. Sounds like a scraping sound.Will I destroy my tranny if I drive it 20 miles to get home? How do I tell for sure its my TC and not my tranny? It has 211K miles on it.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:52 PM

Ok so i am just gonna have it towed tomarrow , got a ride home. A replacement TC from autozone is 150-350$ depending on auto tranny type. Anyone know where i find this info?

This sounds like a constant grinding all the time while running in any gear , even park. Im not even sure its the TC. any tips? I might have to take it to a shop but just thought id ask , as well, im broke .just put 1500$ into tires and brakes Friday.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
O.FO.SHO,
I am sure you will get some responses this evening, there are a bunch of really knowledgeable and helpful folks on here. I have seen lots of tranny problems get diagnosed. This first questions you are going to get asked are year of truck, model (2500 or 3500) and 2wd or 4wd.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by O.fO.shO
I believe my tourque converter is making a very load noise. Dosnt seem to be slipping as I drive. I hear it spin for 2 seconds Apon shutdown. Sounds like a scraping sound.Will I destroy my tranny if I drive it 20 miles to get home? How do I tell for sure its my TC and not my tranny? It has 211K miles on it.
Your TQ is not spinning for 2 seconds after shutdown, your Turbo might be though.

From what you describe, I would pull the intake hose at the turbo and look for up and down play in the impeller. Also look for any obvious signs of it contacting the housing around to outside.

At least a turbo is cheaper than a trans.......
Old 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And IF the noise is coming from the transmission for sure then it sounds like you have sheared off all the bolts holding the convertor to the flexplate. Or the flexplate itself destructed. If It is the convertor and it came loose you will also need a flexplate.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by rickf
And IF the noise is coming from the transmission for sure then it sounds like you have sheared off all the bolts holding the convertor to the flexplate. Or the flexplate itself destructed. If It is the convertor and it came loose you will also need a flexplate.
Good call Rickf, that would be the first place I would look.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:53 PM

Says he is driving and trans isn't slipping. Flexplate bolts sheared would lead to a bit of slippage!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 AM

Have you pulled the dipstick and checked the fluid? Is the fluid burnt? I have noticed a few ford E40D/4R100 auto rattle after shut down when refilling the trans fluid, trans guy said it was because the converter fluid wasn't up to level yet.. then again those converters have an actual drain plug on them. So the conveter would be completely empty until the pump filled it up and that's what caused the rattle..

Personally id stay far away from a T converter from AutoZone.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Sorry for the delay.been a ruff week , just got laid off so I got plenty of time to try and fix this thing.

my truck is an 02 2500 ext.cab longbed 4x4. I initially thought it was the turbo but im almost positive its the TC.on start up my turbo has made a noise , I imediaty shut down and restart and it fixes itself. Has happened about 12 times over the last 5 years so I know the sound, have a boost guage and it reads normal. Plus I crawled under the truck , sound is deffinatly from TC Area.ill double check , but dont jinx my turbo

I do have a small leak from a wormclamp on a fixed tranny line so about a week 3 weeks ago on a ride home it was slipping real bad. I added 1 quart of atf4 and its been fine since.it is slightly overfilled now , which struck me odd that that small of an amount would make it slip.
It was fine for the next 3 weeks

now its not slipping just a bad loud sound.i have no muffler and this sound is very noticable over my loud engine.i removed the inspection plate and turned the flexplate and all bolts from the TC to flexplate are in.

The oil is red and no smell of burn.its funny you mention the e4od , because that was my last headache 10yrs ago with my 7.3ford.

What TCwould you guys recomend? The truck is only a daily driver no towing , and at my current financial state I just need it fixed as cheap as possiable.

what concerns me is the TC is just my uneducated guess. The noise is deffinatly from that area , but could it be the tranny?
Old 11-23-2013, 04:26 PM

I just talked to a guy who has a tranny and TC for sale from a wrecked truck. The overdrive casing cracked in a collision, 250$ obo. He thinks its prob not my TC or I would deffinataly notice driveability issues. He suggested I look at my starter . I did replace that twice so far. Guess ill crawlon the garage floor tomarrow and take a peek. High of 25F tomarrow.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:01 PM

Ok so it was the starter. I believe the starter gear wasn't resesing back all the way after start and was fighting the flexplate. It still started fine.

Now my question is did it damage my flexplate ? Are the theeth on the flexplate beveled? I don't know if each one broke at the same angle on the starter side or if its supposed to be like that. Even if it is supposed to be beveled I can see some damage on the teeth , like when hammering on metal you kinda make that folding.not bad but its there.

I'm wondering if I could get away with just putting a new starter in. I have the receipt , reman from Napa under 3 years old. Might be under warrant. Opinions?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:44 AM

If it was me I'd slap a new starter in it and run it.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Same here, but while you have the starter out, try and get a couple of good, in focus pictures of the bevel.

I "think" mine has a very slight one.