24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lost 2nd gear...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost 2nd gear...

I fired the truck up after work to head home and I had no second gear....
The trans was rebuilt around 55k ago and the bands adjusted about 20k ago.
Currently I need to rev the snot out of it in first let of the throttle and it will go into third. Not a happy day for me. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm going to be sum surprised if the band broke.....
I am planning on going to the tranny guy tomorrow so he can plug it in see what's up. One problem is he is going on vacation for a week starting next week. So he is not taking any major jobs on.... I'm hoping its simple but I fear the worst.
I figured I would start a thread and post my findings for some good info concerning the problem
Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck, I didn't know the bands were adjustable in these, never touched min, she has 220,000
Old 06-25-2014, 07:33 PM

Well the problem seems to have fixed itself.... It's kind of a double edge sword. I'm glad it fixed itself, but nothing fixes itself...
I do know my tv cable is sticking so I will replace it and see how it goes
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the same/Similiar issue and it was found that one of the internal seals wasnt holding pressure. Ended up doing a complete overhaul. Probably not what you wanted to hear but tranny issues "don't really fix themselves"....lol. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
second gear loss

Originally Posted by bradshaw106
Well the problem seems to have fixed itself.... It's kind of a double edge sword. I'm glad it fixed itself, but nothing fixes itself...
I do know my tv cable is sticking so I will replace it and see how it goes
The same thing happened to me . That was a month ago over 1200 miles ago towing . I manual shift the truck and use lockout in the over drive . Lost second gear stayed in first after the shift to second . Stopped the truck and headed home it shifted good . Turned to truck back around with a load of steel on a trailer and headed to our other home . Unloaded and headed back to the house. That was one time deal. Still shifts good . Looked on the trouble charts shifts are caused by governor pressure moving a shift valve . 1-2 2-3 hydraulic governor . I see I am not the only one to have that happen to. That's what I believe the problem is or was in governor circuit or stuck valve . Jim
Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
second gear

Originally Posted by bradshaw106
I fired the truck up after work to head home and I had no second gear....
The trans was rebuilt around 55k ago and the bands adjusted about 20k ago.
Currently I need to rev the snot out of it in first let of the throttle and it will go into third. Not a happy day for me. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm going to be sum surprised if the band broke.....
I am planning on going to the tranny guy tomorrow so he can plug it in see what's up. One problem is he is going on vacation for a week starting next week. So he is not taking any major jobs on.... I'm hoping its simple but I fear the worst.
I figured I would start a thread and post my findings for some good info concerning the problem
I also fixed my friends truck that is a 47re transmission , did not overhaul it either. Lost second gear , pulled pan broken second gear strut . Replaced that and the anchor , readjusted all good . That was two years ago Jim
Old 09-20-2014, 02:29 PM

Figured I would give a update. Brought the truck in to the tranny shop, and found the band was so far out of adjustment the second gear strut fell out! Put it back in and adjusted it so far so good. Someday I'm hoping to find a good core to rebuild