1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Injector Pump Timing Issue 89 RAM Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Pump Timing Issue 89 RAM Cummins

HI;
I swapped my injector pump for a rebuilt unit and have a problem: White smoke always at all speeds ( it's not oil), I've been informed that it is a "Late" timing issue and that the pump needs to be rotated in a CCW direction as one faces the engine.

Problem : It looks like there are a couple degrees of rotation to be had yet but when I try to rotate the injector pump it feels like I am hitting an obstruction on the block with the back of the pump. The space all looks clear and the fuel feed line is out of the way and there looks like there is room on the mount bolt/timing adjustment slots. I am at a loss ???

The engine starts well and runs smoothly yet until this alleged timing issue is cleared up, there is no point in messing with the fuel screw or "smoke" setting on the aneroid diaphragm. I used the timing gear pin to lock the gear in place for the replacement so I do not want to think that I have slipped a tooth........???

The pump is a rotary Bosch (VE)

Any ideas or suggestions ? ( I do not have a timing dial indicator and am told that for this age truck it is best to time by ear / appearances, etc.) .

Really don't want to remove that pump again if I can help it.

Thanks for any help info or suggestions !
Old 06-01-2008, 04:17 PM
alwaysonDTR

did you loosen all four bolts?
the three on the pump where it meets the timeing gear case and the one on the back of the rear of the pump?

Check your pm's please
Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 PM

You should have the injection pump plunger lift timing checked. I wouldn't waste another minute doing anything until you know what that timing actually is.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 PM

The fourth bolt was removed with the bracket at the onset of this project, have not put them back in yet but will when finished, Thanks.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:37 PM

sdstriper,

We're not talking about the spill sleeve here are we ? How would plunger lift timing be adjusted on the VE ?

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I believe he is talkin about the actual pump timing tool. In the middle of all the lines there is a 12mm bolt. You can take it out and put the actual timin tool in there. It's a edit to use but you get the real timing not just a guess. I go one from my Snap Off guy, I already had a dial indicator so the addaptor was cheap, like 45$. But I know where my timing really is not just pushing it around until I like it.
P.S. I had the same issue It was all timin related, get it bumped up and good luck.

Justin
Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 PM

dont waste your time fooling around with the pump, get the timing tool, im am talking from experience here.
Joel
Old 06-07-2008, 10:55 PM

Ok, ok, I'll get the timing tool. Just assumed that if the position of the timing gear was held well by the "pin" during the operation that the pump purchased from a reputable diesel rebuilding service would just be a drop-in with a minor adjustment by ear. This is the first Bosch pump I,ve dealt with ... they are not cheap and they are not easy. ( but they are interesting).
Will write back with results, findings or discoveries but I get the impression some one out there will be saying ... "told em' so !"

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 AM

Got the problem fixed :
Yes it was timing.
My first assumption was bad ; [should have been a "drop-in" replacement].
When the pump was received, the packaging was damaged in shipping. The pump shaft was protruding from the carton. Took photos and considered returning the pump but got talked into trying it anyway. "It's a very rugged pump" I was told. Looking back at photos taken at that time I discovered that the pump shaft retaining bolt still had the special washer or "tab" in place under the head of the bolt and that condition prevents the shaft from being locked in the correct timing position at TDC..... The re-builder had not removed this washer preventing locking of the pump shaft prior to shipping and somewhere during it's travels, the carton was damaged and the shaft got moved about 14 degrees. Being the first Bosch VE I had ever seen, didn't know what to look for. Just knew that the pump's timing was set !!!
.........older grayer and wiser now.

Advice from daking ( above ) get the tools, check the timing! ( the time saved could be well worth it ... no short-cuts on this ).

Thank you all for the good advice !
Old 07-01-2008, 01:35 AM
alwaysonDTR

now thats its back running right where are the pictures? i want to beable to spot a fellow DTR member and oregonian when driving,