12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Engine Timing?or Pump timing?

Old 05-28-2004, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Timing?or Pump timing?

Wow I just read WAY to much about timing,its lead me to this question,everyone seems to like the advanced timing on the 1st and 2nd gen trucks,I'd like to go to 15*,what does that mean?

some of the posts are talking about poping timing gears off behind the timing cover,other posts are talking about just pushing the pump towards the enging till the timing marks open 1/8",are we talking about the same things?

The local injection shop is gonna replace my pump tomorow,Ive asked them for 15* timing can they simply rotate the pump while they are installing it?or do they have to pull timing gears off the engine?thanx so much.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:38 AM

If you mean you are getting a new pump, then the timing gear will be off of the pump, and the timing is addressed then. Yes the gear has to be physically"popped" or "pulled" from the tapered shaft on the pump. No other way to change the timing.

I think what you are reading is the various methods of how to change/adjust the timing. Some will just move it an 1/8 of an inch, some will use a degree wheel or degree tape. These methods are fine, and I have seriously considered doing my timing this way.

The factory reccomends another method using the delivery valve and a dial gauge to measure lift. It sounds a little technical, and I have to admit, I have not done it. I still need a delivery valve socket. However, if you read and re-read this method (see the website: www.dodgeram.org) for the excellent and detailed how to instructions, it will seem less intimidating.

This is probably the most accurate method of timing, and yes I to want to set mine at 15 or 15.5. The other methods will get you pretty close, but you may still be off a little.

If you like, I can send you alll the files I have saved from all of the various websites related to timing, but, I agree, after reading them and the different methods, you can be left a little numb. Good luck, Kevin
Old 05-28-2004, 08:45 AM

On the 1st gens with the ve pump you can loosen the pump & rotate it towards the engine to advance the timing.On the 2nd gen trucks with the p7100 you have to pop off the gear & move it to adjust timing as the pumps are stationary & you cant rotate them like the old ve pumps.

Kurt
Old 05-28-2004, 09:48 AM

Timing is probably best set using the spill port height as an indication of the static timing of the motor - this is the way the TSB describes doing it.

I had a supposedly knowledgeable shop do mine and they screwed it up so bad that I bought the tools and did it myself. They merely twisted the input shaft of the pump with a pair of pliers and then replaced the gear. The first time they fired it up I yelled at them to shut it down because it was obviously very far off - their second adjustment was to just twist the pump back a little more (again with a pair of pliers on the shaft) and put it back together. It ran better but still not right.

I eased it home, ordered the Miller tools, and checked it myself - turns out it was at 19.5* - no telling what it was after their initial adjustment.

It is not hard to do with the correct tools - but the tools are not cheap.

You can also do it by marking TDC with a degree wheel, advancing the motor x number of degrees forward, popping the pump gear, then return the motor to TDC and reinstall the pump gear. Just remember that you are starting your degree wheel at stcok static timing so you only want to advance the difference of the new timing versus stock timing. Also be advised that by doing it this way you never know if your timing had slipped any, only that you advanced it x degrees from what it was.

The having degreed numerous cams over the years (and being an engineer) I personally cannot stand to not know EXACTLY what the lift was before I started - that is the only way to know for sure what difference you made and if it was the correct change to make.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:06 PM

Hey,thanx guys 90% of my problem was confusing the VE pump with the P pump,and then asking a VE question on the 12 valve (p pump) board,steep learning curve.

So I took the truck to the local injector shop(bosch dealer)ded the timming be set at 1.45mm rather than the 1.25mm stamped on the timing cover,what degree's is that?

Also he said he will turn the pump up to 96cc's from the stock 86cc's.

He wont start on the truck till monday,so I could have him set this up diferently If these numbers arent any good.thanx alot,sorry for posting on the wrong board,next time I'll go to the 1st gen board.