3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Tailgate Camera install with MyGig

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate Camera install with MyGig

I recently decided to install a rear view camera on my 2008 2500. I bought a mygig head unit and it supports both a rear and front view camera. I went to ebay and bought a keyhole ccd camera with infrared for about 100 bones and off i went.

i originally wanted to install the camera in the tailgate handle like the new dodges, fords and toyotas, after exhausting the internet for an aftermarket kit i realized this was not going to happen. so i ordered the camera and began testing the best place for it, i knew i didnt want a license plate mount, they are somewhat cheesy in my opinion and i like a clean stock look whenever possible.

at first i thought i could mount the camera in the handle of my truck without any kit, unfortunately it was too high, i rigged up the camera to a 12v source and hooked it to a plasma in my garage to see how it would look. after trying several different places, the only feasible option was either drill the gate or between bumper and gate in part of the frame. i first drilled a hole here and hoped the camera would not be obstructed but unfortunately it was. so after about an hour of milling around trying to talk myself into drilling a hole in my pretty black gate, i drilled a pilot hole so there was no turning back.

after measuring and drilling the gate, i test fitted and everything looked okay except the o ring with the camera was too small and part of it would sink into the gate so i went to auto store and bought a bigger one, it worked great. now i had to gain access in the bottom of the gate for the wiring and to secure the camera, i drilled a 1 7/8" hole in the bottom.

at this point i looked for a way to route the wires out of sight. i decided to drill a hole in left hinge where the gate slides in, i removed the black plastic bushing and drilled it as well, i had to drill the gate side as well, i used a 1/2" bit for both places. now it was just a matter of running the wire, a little tricky but if you take your time no problem. i used rubber splicing tape to wrap the power and rca lines together to serve as a buffer on the metal since it was impossible to fit a grommet. i fished these through the bottom of the gate and heat shrunk all the connectors together at the camera, i also used loctite on the camera ring to make sure i only do this once. after i heat shrunk the connectors i rubberspliced these as well being sure to use electrical tape on the ends because the rubber splice tape does not stick completely. im sure its a little overkill but i like to be confident i wont have a problem.

with the gate reinstalled i rubbersplice taped the entire run and then covered it with plastic conduit for a factory look. i zip tied all the way up the frame to the back seat. there is a plastic drain plug or punch out i guess. i drilled this in the middle and installed a grommet and ran the wire under the backseat. i then pulled off door trim and ran wires down pan and up into the dash, then it was a simple plug and play in the mygig and it was done.

hope this helps anyone interested, it works great, i can see the hitch perfectly, dont forget to use marine tinned and stranded wire and heat shrink connectors the whole way, it will stand up to the abuse and elements.

finished install of camera, you can see the original hole below that did not work.

this is in the bottom of the gate for access to secure camera and wiring

left side of gate where i drilled through to run wires

inside of gate on left where i drilled
Old 10-26-2009, 08:19 PM

wires that were wrapped and heat shrunk

finished view, you cant see the first hole unless you look and there are several cut from factory so no big deal

my test screen, if only i could find a place to mount in cab!

under the frame, the wires in the loom and tied up
Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM

finished install, cant tell its there, just dont take the tailgate off again!!
Name:  IMG00022-20091025-2206.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  37.0 KB
and finally a view
Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 PM

Name:  100_3714.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  28.8 KB
Name:  100_3716.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  24.1 KB
here is mic i installed for the uconnect feature
Old 10-26-2009, 08:56 PM

Looks great!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:19 PM

Looks great. Were did you get the double din install kit? I have been looking every were and can only find single din install kits for the deck.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Banned

Very nice. I like that a lot.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:27 PM

the double din kit is actually the bezel i bought from a factory gps unit, it came with an aftermarket trim kit that i had to cut down to fit, nobody makes a kit that will adapt the mygig to our trucks with the gps bezel, there is some joker on ebay that wants 75 bucks for two pieces of plastic that he makes, but its just principle to me, so i cut it up, sanded and painted to fit, it looks okay but i may change it later. there is a thread on this site about a mygig install by pooter i think and he did a great job with his.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 PM

Cool, I will look up the thread.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by boatruptcy
there is some joker on ebay that wants 75 bucks for two pieces of plastic that he makes

I've done the exact same install as you but am fighting with getting the bezel to look right. Can you get me the info for the joker on ebay? I looked but couldn't find anything relating to this. With all the time and effort I've put into this it might just be worth it to buy this kit, if it looks decent.

Love the way yours turned out....I just might have to add a camera now.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:04 PM

i just searched for dodge ram bezel and he came up, dont know if its still there, ill look tonight. its probably worth it if you cant find anything else, i just know that theres probably not 2 dollars worth of plastic and it seemed high to me, but hey after spending all the money on the mygig i guess it would be a shame to not finish it out right.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM

I love that. Good work. Get some pics in the day time if you get the chance.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by boatruptcy
the double din kit is actually the bezel i bought from a factory gps unit, it came with an aftermarket trim kit that i had to cut down to fit, nobody makes a kit that will adapt the mygig to our trucks with the gps bezel, there is some joker on ebay that wants 75 bucks for two pieces of plastic that he makes, but its just principle to me, so i cut it up, sanded and painted to fit, it looks okay but i may change it later. there is a thread on this site about a mygig install by pooter i think and he did a great job with his.
Thanks!

Camera looks great, I still need to pick one up, but I hadnt found a place to install it yet either, I dont think I can drill a hole in the tailgate for it

Yeah, I saw that guy trying to do the adapter trim pieces, he even PMd me on cumminsforum.
I just cut up two pieces of a plastic binder and painted them black and hot glued them to the inside of the bezel, so far so good, cheap I know, but hey, it works...