3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First Impressions of Quad's new box

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First Impressions of Quad's new box

After much waiting, Quadzilla Power made public his new XzillaRaider box for sale. Being that I'm only a 15 minute drive from his store/building I was there soon after he got his first shipment in. After a quick checkout with the cutie up front, I was soon on my way to the house with a new Quadzilla XzillaRaider Standard version (30-60-100hp). For your reference I have a 2004.5 2500 325/600 CTD Quad Cab 4x4 6spd with 315/70/17 BGF At and 3.73 gears.

Upon arrival I quickly laid out the contents of the module and did a quick inventory check. Everything was accounted for, so I proceeded to read through the instructions not once, but twice, just to make sure I knew what was going on.

Feeling confident, I proceeded outside to hook this bad boy up. The install took probably 25 minutes (largely because I took my time and played around with routing the wires/cables different ways before settling on the one I went with), but should only take 5-10 minutes. I can't stress how easy this install was.

After getting all connectors hooked up, the in-cab switch hooked to the box, with much trepidation I turned the key to the on position. Bingo!! LED on module starts blinking...Green, Orange, Red. Everythings a go!! Then it was on to the road test.

Initially, I turned the module off, just to get the truck warmed up. I drove about 1/2 mile before I turned it on to the first setting 30 hp. From a rolling 10 to 60, I really couldn't tell much of a difference. Only a slight increase.

Next came the 60 hp setting. At this point, I was at a stop sign that was headed to an access ramp on the highway. Perfect opportunity to see what 60hp will do. From dead stop, in 2nd gear, I hit it. Acceleration is MUCH more noticable. Matter of fact I'm at 3100 RPM in 2nd before I even blink. Shift to 3rd. About that time something catches my eye in the passenger side mirror. Its SMOKE, and LOTS of it. I'm thinking "wait, this can't be. Quad says this box won't smoke". Anyway, I get up to 70 and let off of it. At this point the smile is already on my face. If find the next exit and turn around ready to test the 100hp settings.

The 100 hp is definatly strong. Its the throw you back in your seat kind of strong. The problem I have is that I can't keep up with the motor. I have the 6sp and for 2,3,4 I have a hard time keeping up with the engine. What I mean by this is starting out in 2nd gear from a dead stop, if you mash the go petal, you are at 3300 RPM before you blink your eye. Same with 3 and 4. The engine acceleratees so fast that I have to work to keep my shifts in tune with it. It seems as though after I just finish my shift from one gear I already have to start the shift to the next gear !!! Oh, when I switched to the 100 HP setting, the smoke was gone. Matter of fact it hasn't been back since. I'm guessin it was just an anomoly.

At this point I'm ready to show my Ford owning Brother and Father In Law what a Cummins can do. Have the brother in law in the truck and we are driving around. We approach an intersection that has a merge lane for the traffic coming left to right. I'm in 3rd gear going about 20 mph and there is no traffic coming from left to right. As I enter the turn to go right I nail the gas pedal, and the back wheels break free !!! I look over at brother in law and he has a death grip, white knuckles on the passenger side grab handle holding on for dear life, with a big **** smile on his face saying "Now thats impressive".

We get back to his house and he starts asking..."Now did you say that Quad makes a module for the 7.3L Powerstroke....How much does it cost "

To me, the power comes on strong in the middle and upper bands. Once you hit 1600 or so RPM you really start feeling it all the way up to 3200 RPM. The module is VERY driveable as it doesn't make the throttle touchy at all. I honestly couldn't see any clutch slippage, as I was watching very closely for it. However, this may be because I never really stayed in the pedal for more than 3-4 seconds at a time. Now, some of you might think I'm crazy, but I DON"T have gauges, yet. They are being ordered this week. However, before using the 100HP setting I did consult with those that did have gauges, and they said that they didn't see the EGT's get in to the dangerous territory. One commented that he did see his briefly peak at 1300 at WOT from 0-100mph but that it jumped back down very quickly. However, I don't intend on going blind with this box, so guages are being ordered this week. Also, I should be getting my Scotty Air Ram III sometime this week.

I must say that I am quite happy with the XzillaRaider. For a suggested retail price of $449 for the 30-60-100hp box, or $549 for the 60-100-140 box, I think it is bargain. I like the fact that Quad had the quy with the stock truck in mind when he built this box. I am an almost exact match to the demographic he made this box for. I want a modest increase in power for my truck, but I want it while being SAFE and Reliable. I'm not gonna go crazy with this thing. I like it just the way it is now. Quad made the perfect box for me.

I keep hearing the 2003 guys blasting Edge for not coming out with the Juice/Attitude for the 2003 trucks. Well, Quad has a box for you here and now. Plus you get not only 1, but 2 boxes to choose from, a 30-60-100 or a 60-100-140 box. Since, Edge has deemed you 305 guys not equal to us 325 guys, Quad has now liberated you and free'd you from the oppression that Edge is inflicting on you. Come brothers, and enjoy this great HP feast that Quad has bestowed to us

Oh, Quad does has not published the torque gains (why I have no idea. Quad if you are reading this, put the numbers up on your web pages). However on a TDR post he replied that the 325/600 engines are laying down about 730ish torque on the dyno

Hopefully, we will start seeing some dyno results from these new modules, make their way to the internet.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:22 AM

OK, on the smoke, I got busted!! If you have a 6spd and you lug it at all you can get some smoke. Under normal circumstances it is not normal. I am not sure how bad you lugged it, but the 6spd will smoke more than the autos if you use higher gears.

The torque numbers should be in the instructions?? Look on page 5.

http://www.quadzillapower.com/XZDodge-instructions.pdf
Old 03-15-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quad,

Would you be willing to share some specifics on your race module (or both) in the interest of educated stacking, as in the amount of timing advance your module provides and roughly the amount of HP provided via pressure (or actual rail pressure)? Lots of pressure conscious folks out there (me being one of them).
Old 03-15-2005, 09:18 AM

Talking

BigBlueDodge

You now feel the change in your truck I had almost 2 months ago. I am a beta tester for them and I can fully vouch for everything you say. EGT's remained about the same as stock with the exception of an increase of 100- 200 degrees here and there. I never saw anything to be alarmed about. I did not have the opertunity to tow with it, but I dont expect much change as long as you tow in level 1 or 2. I have the 48RE and can say it will break the rear loose something wild. (Level 3) As you watch your fuel mileage, you will see a definate increase! I wont go into numbers, but I'm at a 1/4 tank with 655 miles on the trip meter from my last fill up. I will be sending my unit back zilla for the standard flash as I still have the beta flash installed. I'm glad I waited on buying the Edge EZ. I had the opertunity to compare the two and I was definately more happy with the zillaraider. Every one should definately check this one out.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good post bigbluedodge. As some of you may know, I beta tested the module as well. I agree with almost everything you say. My only discrepancy with your post is that on the 100hp level, I can hit 1300 or a tad higher and keep it about 1275-1300 or so indefinitely at WOT. While this isn't a terribly high number, it's not 'reached 1300 for a second and dropped quickly'. With that said, since 1300 is the highest it will stay for a constant basis (0-100mph wot with auto trans), I think during normal driving and romping around empty you really wouldn't need to watch gauges. Also the race module is 60-100-140, not 30-60-140.

I agree with the incredibly easy installation, and also say forget Edge and them stringing us along waiting for the juice. It's ridiculous that they require you buy their attitude monitor to access all the power levels, and also annoying that they've pretty much abandoned us 03-04 owners. The quad box is great.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:01 AM

What kind of user control is visible inside of the cab.. is it a simple **** or something like the TST?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:51 AM

single rotary switch. 4 position including off.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:16 PM

the adjustments are from a 4 position rotary switch, mounted anywhere you
want. what's notable about this box during my evaluation is the
drivability. rivals the VA in that department, in my opinion. One
thing I noticed about aggressive pressure boxes is that they tend to be
notchy in throttle response, but not this one. I'm kind of sensitive about that with my 6
speed.

It also hooks up to the CAN bus, which suggests that the box is doing some
things there that are not possible with just a MAP/FP hookup.

I tried to make some rail pressure measurements below 26,000 psi (about the
limit of the on board sender) but the data didn't tell me anything
quantifiable. my rail pressure gauge does not "peg" (at 26,000 PSI) as
quickly with Quad's new box, but I really don't know what that might mean,
if anything. It could mean that he is softer on the rail, but I
can't prove that. hate being blind above 26,000 psi, but that's the
way it is, and this holds for anything including a pressure box that hooks
up to that sensor.

As for timing advance - I can't tell what he's doing there for sure. one of
these days I'll get a scope and figure out how to measure some of
this stuff. About all I can suggest is that we know there is an
opportunity for a few horsepower via timing, and if Edge can do timing on
the CAN bus, then Quad may be doing that as well. That suggests to me that
he may be able to reduce rail pressure for the same horsepower output. I
just don't know by how much, but that's a way cool approach anyway.

I'm also impressed with the lack of smoke, as fun as that is some times :-).
The box appears to be tuned very well for the stock truck, even though I
have to throw in this obligatory caution that the stock hy-9 'charger (03-04
truck) isn't worth much above about 24 PSI at least on my tests (at 27,000
ft).

I also think his choice of power levels are spot on. around 60 horsepower
hits the conservative/towing crowd and the limits of the hy-9, in my
opinion. about 100 HP pushes things a bit but allows the adventuresome to
have more oomph. Above that, well, we'll see if he can win the horsepower
war with a simple, moderately priced and easy to install box. It will be
great to see some dyno numbers roll in.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:25 PM

Of all the boxes out there, this sounds like what I have been waiting for
Old 03-15-2005, 03:42 PM

Okay...I'm sitting here (snowed in at home actually) at the computer and am soooooo close to picking up the phone right now....

BUT!!! I would love to hear some accounts from the Beta' boys and girls with stock huffers about the race version...Smooth power roll-on? Egt's on 140hp setting?

Anyone?! My CC is burning in my hand right now! Sounds like the perfect (relatively) box has finally arrived!

--D
Old 03-15-2005, 04:22 PM

If anybody puts one on a 6 speed dually, I want to know how it performs as far as "breaking them loose"
Old 03-15-2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by RockRover
Okay...I'm sitting here (snowed in at home actually) at the computer and am soooooo close to picking up the phone right now....

BUT!!! I would love to hear some accounts from the Beta' boys and girls with stock huffers about the race version...Smooth power roll-on? Egt's on 140hp setting?

Anyone?! My CC is burning in my hand right now! Sounds like the perfect (relatively) box has finally arrived!

--D
Thats the one I tested. I'd say the 140HP setting might be too much for the stock huffer, but the power is still nice and smooth. They did an excellent job in drivability. new breed of pressure box I'd say. definately a bump above the 100HP mark, but with the stock huffer running out of gas I'm not sure how much power it would actually make. my boost went up to 28 lbs (I have the 03-04, hy-35 with 9cm^2 housing) and thats a bit much for it. I'd suggest this setting is probably 'air limited' in that there will be variability from truck to truck in how much peak horsepower you get out of it. you know, weather, elevation, wastegate setting, etc.

I'm talking of course about the 03-04. the 600 guys have a better turbo.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:51 PM

RockRover, from what little I've read of the Race version, it is an agressive box (hence its name). If you have stock configuration, I would suggest that it might be too strong (or if you are disciplined enough to stay away from that last click on the ****). A 140hp increase is likely to make quick work of your auto tranny or burn up your clutch pretty quick on the 6spd.

I fear these 305/555 boys have been without a high hp box for so long, they now want all the HP they can get !!!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:09 PM

How's the low end torque? Was ready to get a VA 3.1, but now I'm not so sure
I downloaded those instructions and the install is stealthy. Nice. Watching this one closely.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by doug
Th (03-04 truck) isn't worth much above about 24 PSI at least on my tests (at 27,000
ft).
Great post Doug (as usual!)....However, I didn't know you lived above the death-zone on Mnt. Everest! How's mail delivery? I assume it's a bit slow? Of course you might be refering to relative barometric pressure inside the turbo-housing at WOT or something...If so, my bad!

One thing you didn't mention in your posts' were EGT's on the 140hp setting. My driving habit's appear to be a lot like BigBlueDodges...That is, the occasional romp/burn from a light when I'm feeling 'randy', and/or the chipped out 6.0 PS in my neighborhood comes around!...Of course these urges come less and less now that I'm pushin' the big four-oh...But I digress...The box will be used primarily at the 60hp setting were EGT's appear to be a non-issue. The sample size that has responded so far is a bit small right now, but EGT's look VERY promising at the 100hp setting as well. Now for that "speciall occasion" when I crank-her all the way to the right, I would like to know that I can use 'some' of the hp above the 100hp setting w/o pegging my pyro w/in a milli-second.

I should note that I still have the 3.5" down-pipe and stock clutch (those can be fixed though!), but convincing the wife I need another $1600 for a "B1 to keep my egt's down" will be...Let's just say...Difficult.

Thanks so much for the input guy's!

--Doug (RR)

Quick Reply: First Impressions of Quad's new box