3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First Impressions of Quad's new box

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have any questions you can always contact me.

888-842-6572

I personally think you are a troll and won't call.

Quad
Old 04-14-2005, 04:02 PM

Re: non-adjustable quad box numbers?

Originally posted by surfram
Does anyone have Dyno/EGT numbers for the non-adjustable Quad box? Rail pressures? I think that I would be too tempted to turn the adjustible box up all the time.
back to substantive conversation --

Unfortunately, rail pressure measurements above approximately 26,500 psi cannot be made reliably because the on board pressure sender saturates. From the measurements I have performed I can say that Quad's 65HP power level appears to just barely make 26,100. It could be a touch higher. Other 50HP or 60HP boxes I have measured (including the older Quadzilla towing module) appeared to made higher pressures -- at least they cause the sender to saturate quicker in my testing.

so I think Quad has a good argument that his rail pressures are lower than any other pressure box, since he has coaxed the ECM into delivering more timing vi the Common Area Network. How much lower I'm not able to measure directly.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Chapter President

I have the standard box set on 60hp. My stock temp guage is showing right at 199* whereas before the box my temp ran at approx 195-97*. Is it expected to run a few degrees hotter with the box turned on. I have not hot rodded it at all with this current tank of fuel, driving under normal conditions. Trying to check mileage increase.

thanks Jamie
Old 04-14-2005, 11:48 PM

I have a question maybe some of you can answer.....I just recently installed my standard quad box last Friday....My truck will make a jerking feeling once ive reached cruising speed around 70mph on the 60 and 100hp setting...however it doesnt do it when im on the 30hp setting....Ive checked the connections and they all seem to be together right.....Also if i give the truck more fuel when it is making the jerking feeling it seems to go away.....

Old 04-15-2005, 09:05 AM

For you guys with the '03 HO and the 'standard' 0-30-60-100 quad box, what are you reading for max boost psi?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by brandon507
I have a question maybe some of you can answer.....I just recently installed my standard quad box last Friday....My truck will make a jerking feeling once ive reached cruising speed around 70mph on the 60 and 100hp setting...however it doesnt do it when im on the 30hp setting....Ive checked the connections and they all seem to be together right.....Also if i give the truck more fuel when it is making the jerking feeling it seems to go away.....

It should not jerk, but I would like to hear more about what it is doing. Does it do it once and then quit or does it do it continually?

Old 04-15-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Steve034x4
For you guys with the '03 HO and the 'standard' 0-30-60-100 quad box, what are you reading for max boost psi?
I see a max boost of about 24.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:42 AM

which is at or near the set point of the stock mechanical wastegate (03-04 trucks). In my measurements, this turbocharger quickly runs out of gas above 24 lbs of boost and pumps hotter (not necessarily more) air. remember that heat alone will raise boost pressure, and the boost guage cannot distinguish between lots of cool air molecules and a few hot ones...

thats my argument against changing the stock wastegate on this turbo. just say no to boost elbows...
Old 04-15-2005, 12:55 PM

I have not been on this forum 4 quite a while. I currently have an 04-w-48RE and BHAF and a stacked EZ and VA boxes. It gives me plenty of power but the Quad box might be better? I thought the Quad would do better from an EGT standpoint but it seems to get them up high as well. Wasn't manipulating the timing supposed to take care of this? I also have full 4" from the turbo exiting in front of the rear wheel which lowered the EGT at WHO about 100*. I suppose my question is does it make sense to can the two boxes I have for a standard quad? Will I get more power and safer EGT's? I am really suprised no one mentioned anything about running out of fuel. I put a pusher on mine after seeing zero pressure-w-mods and am never below 15 lbs now. I have full guages. The truck weighs 7270 lbs and I ran a 15.1 1/4 mile at Rockingham Dragway. Do I spend and chuck or can I stay where I am? Also can the quad be stacked-w-any of the other two boxes I have and give any benfit?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:00 PM

of the three boxes mentioned in your post, the combination with the most theoretical interest is Quad + C3.2. I haven't tested this combo yet, primarily because of a turbocharger limitation, but I think this combo has good promise for those who want to get the most out of the VA. consider that the C3.2 on level 1 has a pretty flat torque curve, netting about 40HP in peak HP gain. C3.2 level 2 has a high torque rise, dropping off at the upper end to about the same peak HP gain. So in my opinion, that makes C3.2 L1 an excellent stack to add a bit more duration. crank it up to L2 if you want drive-train busting torque in the low 2,000s

The most compelling stack to the C3.2, in my opinion, is the Quad box, simply because it is pressure+timing. In my classification system I don't consider this a fuel pulse width or duration box because it doesn't directly manipulate those signals. however, one can make an argument that Quad has found a way to stretch pulse width beyond traditional pressure or boost fooling methods. I won't quarrel with such an argument, but will point out that the amount of duration provided by the Quad box is small compared to the other boxes out there that directly manipulate duration, such as the VA C3.2, the Edge Juice, or (certainly) the venerable TST. Fundamentally, Quad is a pressure+timing box, with a little duration hocus pocus thrown in there with some proprietary magic.

so yea, try stacking your VA with Quad's box. On the surface, anyway, this appears to be a better combo than VA + EZ.

As for high EGTs with Quad's box, I suggest that the 03-04 guys may be having more trouble than the 04.5-05 guys, simply because of the turbocharger. I'm suspicous that the benefits of timing advance inherant in Quad's box may be swamped by the inefficiencies of the stock 03-04 turbocharger. My EGT experiements on the dyno with the TST suggest the same (TST, at 100HP, ran just as hot as a 100HP pressure box on the dyno).

In other words, don't expect angels to sing from timing advance if your huffer can't push enough cool air.

So ppsi in your case I think a VA/Quad stack would be a good experiment, and I would be surprised if that combo did not net a bit more power, probably a bit lower EGTs, and better drivability than your current stack. However, your EGT problem will not be solved by Quad's box -- your problem is rooted in the stock turbocharger. Unless of course I've missed something in your sig. the stock charger isn't good for much more than your stock lift pump, and you've solved the latter but not the former

tell us what your power goals are. that will help us comment on whether or not you need new or additional electronics. in any case, I hope you upgrade your turbocharger and tranny soon. neither one will last long at these power levels.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:08 PM

Well I really don't plan on spending $4k on a trans so I suppose I should be happy where I am. As for a turbo can you tell me what a good, bolt on replacement is. Last time I was on here there were none that I would consider affordable.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:59 PM

Guys, so as to not hi-jack this great thread I just posted my towing/economy specific questions regarding the XZT towing module over in the towing section.

If any of you have experience or answers to my "XZT pertinent" questions over there I would appreciate a reply. Thanks- XZILR8N

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=66257
Old 04-15-2005, 11:17 PM

Was there ever an answer given on the 60 and 100 HP settings on the two boxes?

STD vs RACE, is the programming and torque curves the same on these two settings???
Old 04-16-2005, 09:15 AM

So far, no reply. The concensus is that the torque numbers are the same between the two, but I haven't heard that from Quad.

I've also asked Quad what the "Rated" torque numbers are for both boxes at each of the settings, but have not heard back.

Quad, could you please post what the torque numbers are at each of the settings?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you search back, the torque numbers have been posted. I have run the beta standard box and now the production race box. The 60 and 100hp settings feel and register the same EGT's between the two boxes. With no hard data, I'm pretty convinced they are the same.

Quick Reply: First Impressions of Quad's new box