3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First Impressions of Quad's new box

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am an almost exact match to the demographic he made this box for. I want a modest increase in power for my truck, but I want it while being SAFE and Reliable. I'm not gonna go crazy with this thing. I like it just the way it is now. Quad made the perfect box for me
Sounds like me. I have been starting to think about it, and with all the reviews I have been reading on all the boxes, the reviews of this new box here and on TDR makes me think that the 30-60-100 is the one for me.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Guys, while I'm a dyed in the wool tst user, if I was to use another box in place of or in addition to it, it would be an adjustable ramifier. what I like about the tst are the 9x9 selection of performance to go from full timing on 1 to anything up to tranny slip or fuel shortage. The adjustability to go from racing to towing heavy is unsurpassed. I had a bully dog with three positions, 4 aint't a big improvement. Having programmers like Dennis with ramifier being able to tailor the programming to your needs is leading edge versus 4 notch old school. Just my thoughts. If the Quadzilla was fully adjustable infinitely then I'd say yeah. For now its TST, ADJ rammifier, BDDL, ..., KS.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:53 PM

boy you got it. turbos dont' work very well up here in the stratosphere man you think mail is slow you should see turbo spool up at this altitude!

but yea, you can use the 140 HP setting (bear in mind that actual output has not been verified. I'm confident it is over 100 HP but I really dont' think it will make 140 with the stock turbo). The low setting (60 HP) is totally sweet driving; you'll bump it up to the 100HP setting probably

remember that I'm pretty conservative on most things, notably rail pressure and the limits of the stock turbo. in my opinion the "140" box is too much for the stock turbo. For short burts of happiness, though, you're probably ok, at least EGT wise. I just dont' want to see anyone blow the stock turbo with boost pressures in the upper 20s. Here's the conservative part of me again: just because you measure EGTs less than 1350 doesn't mean you are not stressing the turbocharger. at 28 lbs boost the poor thing is out of its efficiency map. 03-04s of course.

on the low end torque and the VA C3.1. except for the ramifier (which I have not tested), the VA C3.1 is probably the most aggressive down low. good torque rise, but falls over at the top end, making only 40 horsepower. Great for towing of course, not for racing. I would say that the Quad box meets or beats the C3.1 in low end torque; then pulls away with what I would consider as an honest to goodness 100 HP gain at the rear wheels. its really very sweet, no smoke. that must be a benefit of the timing he does. huh, that just dawned on me. Quad performs just as strong as the VA down low but with arguably less smoke. gotta be the timing.

consider that you probably wont ever use the 30HP setting. 60 drives so sweet you'll never use the 30. and if you get more air, the "over 100" setting will come in more useful. watch out for high rail pressures though. thats my only thought there. you know the drilll -- there has been minimal carnage but all it takes is for YOUR pressure relief valve to go, and bye bye warranty.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:17 PM

Thanks Doug....So your living above 7K eh? Me too...I'm sitting at 7200 here in Santa Fe, NM. Never see stock boost above 22.5psi.

You still didn't mention what your EGT's were on the 140hp setting! Me's starting to thinks your doing that by design!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Banned

Well enough is enough!!! I called Kyle and ordered mine. He had a really good price and told me I would have it in a week. Now I cant wait to roast the hides!!!
thanks guys for the info.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:38 PM

Well I've got to say this, I just arrived in Oklahoma City for some extensive training. I knew there was a well known diesel performance shop out here so after class I ran by there to see what they had to offer. When I got there I told him what I was looking for. They said try this and in 15 minutes they had it on and said take her for a spin! All I got to say is HOLY %$#@ The Quadzilla is awesome! I got the 0-30-60-100 box and OMG it woke up the truck. The roads are wet so I have to be real careful. I seen some 1350 degree peaks on the egt guage on the 100 horse setting. the driveability is great! Just what I was looking for.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by RockRover
Thanks Doug....So your living above 7K eh? Me too...I'm sitting at 7200 here in Santa Fe, NM. Never see stock boost above 22.5psi.

You still didn't mention what your EGT's were on the 140hp setting! Me's starting to thinks your doing that by design!
I'm at 27000 ft give or take a zero (in other words 2,700 ft). wow 7200, thats up there. I drove the 140HP setting pretty conservatively and never let it go above 1300. I can't really say much about the EGT because of that. its more power and more fuel than the 100Hp setting, and I didn't have the huff to cool it. With my turbocharger spitting out hotter (as upposed to more) air, I had to apply a little self control.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:19 PM

More fuel economy updates please.

I know this is a performance oriented forum, but I think you can get a feelable power increase and a fuel economy improvement if you get the injection timing right.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:26 PM

BigBlock2Stroke, I filled up yesterday so hopefully in a week I'll have my first reports of mileage. Preliminary reports appear to be about 1.5mpg on the 60hp version (which gives the best mpg of the 3 settings).
Old 03-15-2005, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the report Doug. As usual, you have done a tremendous job. Looks like the Quad is gonna get another order.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:38 PM

Whatz a good price for this XzillaRaider box ?????????????
Old 03-15-2005, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by 03CTDCO
Whatz a good price for this XzillaRaider box ?????????????
http://www.quadzillapower.com/2003_dodge.htm
Old 03-15-2005, 10:39 PM

Re: First Impressions of Quad's new box

Originally posted by BigBlueDodge
After a quick checkout with the cutie up front
since you talked about the cutie up front I couldn't leave out that, that is my brothers girlfriend.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:22 PM

Dang !!! I about fell in love. First time I see her she is putting together a fuel box, and then proceeds to talk diesel's to me. Where else can you find a woman like that ! Tell your brother he's a lucky fella.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:58 PM

I will pass on the good word to him.

Quick Reply: First Impressions of Quad's new box