TXDTR #8 Forum for the Texas chapter #8

DTR #8 November and December 2009 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duallydog
If they use the differences between Flux 1 and 2 then shouldn't they be 70hp sticks?
Cause it's actually a Flux 1.462!

RJ
Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ

As posted on DTR#8 Sept thread.....
"I have gone the other way with my truck... decided to retire from racing and dynoing!
After going to the dyno at SpeedTek, I realized just can't compete with 3rd Gens that can get to 600 hp in one afternoon.
Seemed like every young flat belly there had 700+ hp! It was fun to see and very impressive...... but was also a depressing vp-44 reality check!!"

RJ

RJ, I didn't think you were really serious. C'mon, You have a 12 second truck! That is nothing to be embarrassed about on anybody's track!

I agree the 3rd gens are easier to make power on....but there are still other options for your 02. Get a P-Pump! Or a Hot Rod VP!

No matter what you drive....there is always somebody faster. If nothing else you should stay involved just for the fun of it....and enter ET brackets.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elirandolph
I am told they are 60hp. Not much but definitely makes a difference.

Eli, congrats on the new injectors! I was wondering how they were working out for ya. Have you noticed any change, pro or con, for fuel mileage?

You will have to dyno again soon and see what they do.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duallydog
If they use the differences between Flux 1 and 2 then shouldn't they be 70hp sticks?
Matt, I think you are trying to be too logical. I don't think it works like that, or that precise.
Originally Posted by RowJ
Cause it's actually a Flux 1.462!

RJ
Maybe he just decided to round up!
Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Eli, congrats on the new injectors! I was wondering how they were working out for ya. Have you noticed any change, pro or con, for fuel mileage?

You will have to dyno again soon and see what they do.

Thanks, I am glad that I got them. The only real change that I can tell is that it has a little more power. I haven't even driven it with the pressure box on to see what it does then. Mileage hasn't really changed and the more that I drive it I don't think it smokes more either. I was hoping for a mileage increase but I don't think so... probably from me not being able to keep my foot out of it.

I really want to dyno again and see what difference it made.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
... If nothing else .....stay involved just for the fun of it....and enter ET brackets..
Sorry but Bracket Racing is like kissing your sister. JMO...Guess I'm just old school.
I have no problem with others being faster.
But it's time to retire my 7 yr old truck before something big breaks.... and 12 sec CTD is not a big deal anymore.
We've come a long way in 5 yrs... I remember when 400 hp was top 10% of the trucks on DTR and a 12 sec 1/4 mile was !!!

Just need another truck! Then.... "I'll be back".

RJ
Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 AM

Buy yourself that dang 3rd gen u've been drooling over and send the 02 out to play!

I'm the same way with my 01.... Have her just the way I want, towing beast, blast to drive.... Dont want to detune or tune up.. No more sled pulls or drag races, want to keep her in one piece (dang track bar)...

So project truck it is! lol Project truck wont compete with anybody, but should be a pretty good ride sometime next year...
Old 11-19-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bnold
Buy yourself that dang 3rd gen u've been drooling over and send the 02 out to play!
He's going to drive the '02 and tune up the 3rd gen to be one of those "700hp flat bellies".
Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM

How about 1000 hp....not so flat belly!

Originally Posted by bnold
......Project truck wont compete with anybody...
I'll take that bet!

RJ
Old 11-19-2009, 10:26 PM
I watch wind blow...

put cab lights on a 95 12V today. what a process that is even on the 2nd time for me to install. but they look good. owner is happy. truck looks good.

headed to Texas tomorrow for my 10 day break. SUPER EXCITED. spending all weekend out at Possum Kingdom Lake. and then off to Fort Worth. (Saginaw) staying with my buddy Scott (redscooter I think) that y'all met at Robert's GTG.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 PM

So what works for people the next few weekends or so for a get together? Ready to open up the shop doors

Thanksgiving weekend is out...
I already have 'other' project plans on 12/5
Christmas weekend, and new years weekend all out...

so that leaves 12/12 and 12/19 this year... and all of Jan except new years weekend.... Think we can get it together and pick a good weekend?

Need to also start pondering my 96 project... Original plans were to scrap the dually long bed and go standard short bed....

Kinda like the dually already and really like the looks with a 31x16.5x16 Hoosier Pro Street tire tucked in the fender!!! too cool!! Running a 4.10 gear now and wanting to get that changed soon so driving isn't so red line all the time!... Thinking 3.73 will be the best all around gear choice from the limited reading I have done (CompD)... 4.10s seem to work ok on a 4x4 rig, but often just blow the doors on a 2wd... 3.73 seems to load better and net better 60's (at least more consistent 60's)

Would like to get the regearing done sooner rather than later, so if I am changing rearends, I'd like to figure that out before I regear!

Still planning on a 30-33" Drag radial for track running... as wide as I can get under the fender... have the set of rims the pro streets are mounted on to use

By the end of next year (again slow progress with savings goals(land, house, etc..) you know the actual important stuff... Money for this truck is all made on the side) I'd like to have the motor rebuilt... Nothing crazy, machine, slightly lower compression, o-rings, studs, no girdle, maybe electric fans/water pump (dont think necessary unless higher RPM) (already has springs, HTT 66/71/16ss, HTT manifold, 4k GSK, cut DVs, DDP4 injectors), Dont plan on hacking the intake and doing extensive porting at this time... We will see what we can get before diving into that ball game.... Water/Meth and N2O can make up for the anemia

Rear suspension??? simple as caltracs?? 4 link??

Would like to see 115-130mph in a street legal, somewhat decently mannered truck...

Lets start hearing some thoughts... we will make this the N.TX street/strip project truck!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Chapter President

"so that leaves 12/12 and 12/19 this year"

I think Dan will be moving the WE of 12/12. WE of 12/19 is a ways off, but I'll make plans to be there.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Chapter President

Brian what is the rear end on it? (I'm assuming Dyna 70?) What is the problems with higher ratio gears? I'm going to assume they put too much load on the engine at too low an rpm thus too much engine lugging?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 AM

Brian - Sounds great!
12/19 is better for me also...but can make either.

Matt - It's should be a Dana 80! Trac Loc??
From what I have picked up, even 4x4's (over 550 hp) have trouble grabing (off the line) with 3.73 and 31"-32" tires. I'd suggest 3.54's.
Mike was "chirping" on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts (in 4x4) on the blue monster... with 32" Proxes ST II's (32x11.5x17). Remember, your probably on NOS by the 1-2 shift!
With an Auto, you will be shifting around 3200-3300 rpm. With 3.54's that all important 3-4 shift (biggest drop) comes closer to the 1/4 mile and will put you around 2800 rpm going thru the traps. Ideal, IMO.

RJ
Old 11-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Chapter President

Rowland good call, I forgot how to spell and I figured it wasn't as heavy an axle as the 80 but even better I suppose.
If anything the size and weight of Mikes truck even in 4X4 with 3.73's are having traction problems then a 2wd will probably need to go with something along the lines of a 2.99!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 AM
I watch wind blow...

I can prob make a 12/19 trip to.

good news as well from me, a fellar that owed me some monies finally got around to settling up with me.... I have four new firearms. cant ever go wrong with that. Is there a website to check and make sure the serial numbers don't have a wrap sheet? Or would this be something I just need to check in with someone of Robert's kind ?

Quick Reply: DTR #8 November and December 2009 Thread