Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring question

Since I tow a 5th wheel and did not need the receiver hitch, I did not order the tow package. If anyone has done this, was the connector for the brake control still installed? Any of the wiring at the back to install the 7 pin there? Some must be there since I believe it come with a 4 pin connector. Or do I need to run and install all of it?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:Wiring question

Alan,
I don't think the wiring is in without the tow package. And, if you are auto, I don't think you will have the tranny cooler. I would add the package if you still can. You never know when you could use the other hitch and the rest of the goodies come along. How about the towing mirrors - - they are the cat's pajamers - - work fine even around my wide body fiver.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:12 AM

FiverBob-- Thanks. The tow package does not show the trans cooler being added as part of the package, I thought that would be standard- will check on it. I ordered the tow mirrors. Hope they don't vibrate.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:25 AM

The tow mirrors on the '03s are the best I've seen for factory tow mirrors, and mine don't shake or vibrate at all. If you ordered the auto transmission, the tranny cooler is part of the tow package; one is not needed for the manual tranny.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=alan1 link=board=11;threadid=20976;start=0#msg196770 date=1066161405]
Since I tow a 5th wheel and did not need the receiver hitch, I did not order the tow package. If anyone has done this, was the connector for the brake control still installed? Any of the wiring at the back to install the 7 pin there? Some must be there since I believe it come with a 4 pin connector. Or do I need to run and install all of it?
[/quote]

Let me see if I can shed some light on this. My truck came off the lot without the tow package. As far as the brake contoller connector, I BELIEVE it comes on all of the trucks, but if you do not get the tow package then there is a blue wire under the hood somewhere that is there but not hooked up...so you have to hook it up before the brake controller will work. Aside from that, I believe the wiring and the harness is still there.

The wiring for the 7 pin is definitely there. I know this because as part of the deal on my truck I had them install the Class IV reciever hitch and the 7 pin wiring harness. To install the wiring harness they tapped into the factory 4 pin plug and tied the additonal three wires in to some other existing wires. They did not have to run any new wires to do this....so the wiring should already be there.

Hope that helps....
Old 10-15-2003, 09:03 AM

My truck came without tow package, I bought the 7-pin wire harness and had it installed this includes the blue wire for the brake controller. The connector for the brake controller are installed look above the E-brake pedal, the main wire harness block. I also had installed an extra 7-pin in the bed of the truck for our 5er, we also intend to install a class IV,V type hitch.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:06 AM

Thanks all, that is what I hoped for. Still a little unclear on the trans. cooling issue. Dealer said with the tow package no additional trans. cooling is provided, it comes standard with the auto and heavy duty cooling. Am I missing some transmission cooling by not getting the tow package? Is a additional air to oil radiator not included to increase the cooling of the trans.?
Old 10-17-2003, 07:26 AM

I don't mean to hijack this thead but the title is wiring. My question, has anyone added a battery Isolator so that the trailer will not drain the trucks battery? If so can you enlighten me on what you added and where? thanks. Also the tow package was the best option I added IMHO. 8)
Old 10-17-2003, 07:55 AM

Just a thought, and not sure of the answer, but wanted to point it out. Do they still include the overload springs in the tow package? If they do, then you will want the tow package. Especially if you tow a fiver. Maybe they now sell the overload springs without the tow package? Like I said, not sure, but you do want to get them if not included.

Another issue, that I'm not sure of the answer, does the tow package use heavier gauged wire for things like the brake wire, as well as the constant hot lead for the camper/fiver? This is was an issue with my GM. I did not have the tow package, and then added a hitch/harness. I had to add the constant hot lead. Kevin
Old 10-17-2003, 12:20 PM

I'm wondering why one would not want the "tow package" just because they will be pulling a 5'er ??? ??? You are still "towing" and will need everything but the class IV/V hitch. It's much cheaper to get the stuff as a 'package' than to add on - wiring, plug, tran. cooler, etc. I've heard of a number of people ordering without the tow package because they were going to pull a fifth wheel. Just don't understand it.

Stan
Old 10-17-2003, 01:28 PM

Dealership has told me that with what I have ordered the only additional thing I get with the tow package is the hitch and 7 pin plug and wiring. The 2004 (see sig.) comes with the cooling and overload springs as standard. The 5th wheel needs the plug in the bed, so I would still need to mount it. I figured the wiring would allready be there and as was said above I was correct so mounting the pin in the bed should be easy.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=mra35 link=board=11;threadid=20976;start=0#msg197972 date=1066393564]
I don't mean to hijack this thead but the title is wiring. My question, has anyone added a battery Isolator so that the trailer will not drain the trucks battery? If so can you enlighten me on what you added and where? thanks. Also the tow package was the best option I added IMHO. 8)
[/quote]

I have the isolator. I gave up trying to get into the wiring harnesses in the engine compartment and find the charge wire, so I mounted mine in the rear. Real easy. I ran a single line from the fuse box ignition hot to kick the relay when the ignition is turned on. Relay cost about $18 and is available at most RV places. It looks like the old fashioned starter relays. There is an electronic one at $50, but it did not give me the features I wanted. Cheap for peace of mind when I stop for the night and don't want to drop the imbilical chord. It is also good when I plug in - - I don't have to worry about charger messing something up with my truck wiring.
I have a switch in line with that ignition line so I can turn it off while I am still running. Sometimes we kick the generator and AC on in the fiver an hour or so before we reach our destination for the evening when it is hot out. Then the fiver is nice and cool when we stop. I shut the relay off so I don't have to worry about the charger kicking something back into the truck circuitry.