Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

welding question on 5er

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welding question on 5er

I need to do some welding on my 5er frame, outside of disconnecting the battery, maybe pulling all the fuses, is there anything else I should consider that might have a problem with arc welding?

I also disconnected the propane and opened the lines, in fact removed the tank to get it filled.

Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated. I really do not want to damage anything.

Thanks, CD
Old 05-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Welding on frame

The thing that might have a problem with arc welding is the frame itself. Depending on the type of metal its made of, you could weaken it, or make it brittle near the weld. Unless you really know what you're doing, welding to a frame is not a good idea.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

just connect the ground lead as close to the weld area as possible and you should be fine.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:19 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

If there are any concerns of strength in the frame just fish plate it.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:45 PM

I thought of unplugging the fridge after my post.

The frame is 4"channel, nice old fashioned iron channel. My 5er is a 1990's model, picked it up a few months ago, in really great shape for it's age, was well-taken care of by the original owner. Not a lot of mileage either. I am adding a 8" channel to the frame, will be stitch welding and also adding vertical reinforcements and gussets.

I just hate the thought of blowing something, but I think I have all the electrical bases covered.

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I get real paranoid about welding on stuff like this, also welding on the newer vehicles with all the computer and electronic stuff. Have heard too many horror stories from people.

CD
Old 05-06-2007, 11:11 PM

I think you'll be fine... Not much in those things as far a "computerized" components >> especially in the 90's...
I say just unhook the truck from the trailer and have at it.... Keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case... They have a lot of wood in them and will go up like a match box.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Disconnect the trailer ground leads from the frame and you will have all your bases covered. Heck, with a trailer of that vintage, you may want to redo the grounds anyway.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:40 PM
J&L

RV frames are AISI 1010 -1019 mild steel which works great with welding. The frame is a welded assy anyway so welding on them will not hurt the frame. If the frame was a special alloy with high carbon content then problems will occur if welding on these frames after they have been stress relieved or normalized.
JIM
Old 05-08-2007, 11:00 PM

Do all of your welding with the length of the frame member, and not across it. That is when you have problems with cracking, brittleness. etc. I.E., weld horizontally (in most cases) & not vertically on the frame. If you have cracks later, it will be adjacent to the weld, and not through the weld. On most older frames (steel), the metal tends to fatigue with time; and won't take abuse, and will therefore crack.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the additional information. I am a little hesitant to stitch weld the 2 channels together. The floor has a fiberglass type cloth covering on the bottom which is 4 ins off where I need to weld. I think the heat will melt this stuff. I guess it's a water protection cloth? I did make some plates to bolt the 2 frames together, drilled them and used gr8 bolts. It is a very solid and sturdy bolt-up at this point. I welded some gussets to the lower 8 in channel and where they meet the factory crossmembers I bolted them the same as the channel, again the fiberglass material and heat issue. I think I might see how all is with the bolted plates first, just not sure about damaging the fiberglass stuff and maybe setting things on fire.

CD