Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Warm up the truck before a tow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warm up the truck before a tow?

I need to head out this week pretty early in the morning to tow my 5th wheel to the dealer. I was thinking of hitching the truck and 5'r the night before. It will be level.<br><br>Another RV's mentioned that I should really warm up the truck in the morning before hitching to the 5th wheel. <br><br>Any opinions? I'm in SW FL and cold temps is a non issue.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:32 AM

Re:Warm up the truck before a tow?

I don't think it is a problem LadyRam. Just give it a few minutes of idling before going so that the oil has a chance to get pumped and distributed before starting out. Then take it kind of easy until the motor gets up to normal operating temp.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:47 AM

Does it help to throw an auto into neutral, with the parking brake of course, while it's idling? Circulates more fluid?
Old 07-15-2003, 07:55 AM

[quote author=wheezer link=board=11;threadid=17089;start=0#160061 date=1058273220]<br>Does it help to throw an auto into neutral, with the parking brake of course, while it's idling? Circulates more fluid?<br>[/quote]<br><br>That wouldn't hurt any, but probably isn't critical this time of the year.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:30 PM

I think in the winter time the auto guys put it in neutral while idleing. I remember seeing it posted when it was cold out. You might want to do a search on it.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not familiar with the new 03 Autos... perhaps theyve changed, but with the 2nd gen (and perhaps even the 1st gen autos ?) the trans fluid does no circulate while in Park.<br><br>This is something to keep in mind if you’re towing. <br>Yes, its a good idea to place the tranny in &quot;N&quot; while warming up. This will allow the trans fluid to circulate and warm up as well.<br>Now, in the summer its not as important, but in the winter, you may notice that the torque converter will not lockup until the trans fluid warms up.<br>I place my trans in &quot;N&quot; to warm up or cool down regardless what season it is... just as a habit.<br><br>Keep in mind, once you pull off from a long tow, the trans fluid will need time to cool down as well. While the truck idles to let the turbo cool, its a good idea to place the truck in neutral and let the trans fluid cool as well.<br><br>Rich.<br>
Old 07-15-2003, 07:07 PM

Unless you are camping on the side of the highway I would think getting to the interstate would give everything time to warm up
Old 07-15-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ladyram,<br><br>I do that frequently for trips. I warm the engine exactly as I would if there were no trailer behind it. I also keep the RPMs under 1800 until it reaches normal operating temp, or at least above 140 water temp - another habit that is the same with or without a trailer.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:06 PM

I guess I did not post this question right. I know to put it in &quot;N&quot; while starting off or shutting down. I have my gauges. I know to shut down at 300 (Pyro) degrees or less. My question was about &quot;driving it&quot; before I tow. I know about letting it idle in &quot;N&quot; before a normal day of driving unloaded. I was talking about setting up to tow 12,000 lbs cold.<br><br>I don't think idle-ing in &quot;N&quot; is the same thing as really warming up the engine. Before when I towed this weight I always drove around the campground to to let the engine get warm. I only asking if that is what I &quot;have&quot; to do or can I just drive away, with a little idle-ing with 12,000 lbs hooked up to LadyRam?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:15 PM
DPG

Ladyram: I frequently do what you are suggesting. Hitch up the night before. Before leaving in the morning, I start up, let the oil pressure come up, and ease on down the road. I do keep the rpm's under 2000 until the engine reaches normal operating temp, which doesn't usually take very long at all. IMHO, it doesn't do anything to the engine to do this.<br><br>I hope that this helps.<br><br>DeWain
Old 07-15-2003, 10:20 PM

Ladyram just do like some are saying.........go easy on it till the water temp starts to climb. Then, you can step a little harder on it and you will know by the sound when you can put your foot down.<br>Tom
Old 07-16-2003, 12:45 PM

Ladyram,<br><br>Sorry if my response wasn't very clear, but yes, I think you are fine to hook up the night before. I wasn't talking about trannies at all because I don't have an auto. My truck can't idle anywhere but neutral.<br><br>Hooking up the night before is what I meant by &quot;I do that frequently.&quot; My previous response was directed at that question. I have no concerns at all that I am not hurting my engine by starting out in the morning with a trailer hooked up as long as I don't try to hammer it right out of the driveway.<br><br>I know a number of contractors who hardly ever disconnect their work trailers - maybe once a month - and none of them are seeing any problems with their engines.<br><br>And by the way, your question seemed clear to me. I knew what you were asking. I just didn't answer it very well.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like others have said....you shouldn't have a problem as long as you give the engine a little time to warm up before you put the hammer down. That's my standard practice whether I'm loaded or not. Just keep it under about 1800 RPM's until the water temp. gets up to normal and you shouldn't have a problem at all.

Heck...to be honest...you could probably run outside, hop in the seat, crank her up, slam it in drive and push the pedal to the floor and not do any damage. I wouldn't recommend that on a regular basis though. I can guarantee you that there are diesel engines all over the country though that are run hard and heavy with little or no warm up time....and still pulling strong. Don't sweat it...
Old 07-22-2003, 08:57 PM

[quote author=DPG link=board=11;threadid=17089;start=0#160384 date=1058325315]<br>Ladyram: I frequently do what you are suggesting. Hitch up the night before. Before leaving in the morning, I start up, let the oil pressure come up, and ease on down the road. I do keep the rpm's under 2000 until the engine reaches normal operating temp, which doesn't usually take very long at all. IMHO, it doesn't do anything to the engine to do this.<br><br>I hope that this helps.<br><br>DeWain<br>[/quote]<br><br>I do exactly as the quote above. Only give it enough throttle to accelerate real easy until it warms up. I also go as much by the oil pressure as the temp gage. I don't get on it much until the oil pressure settles down to normal for a warm engine. That is longer than the temp gage takes to get to normal.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:38 AM
Banned

LRAM,

I also do that, It's just alot easier to hitch-up during the day(It's light out, your awake, you have time to check everything out) we usually leave for a trip very earily in the mourning, and it's so much nicer to know everything is done all you have to do is go. I just start up the truck 10-15 min before heading out, let it warm, check lights, look at all the tires, check trailer doors, look over hitch, check under truck (hopfully nothing is under there), get everyone in, and off we go.