Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Travel trailer roof maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 12:38 AM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Travel trailer roof maintenance

I have a '94 Kit with what I think is a rubber roof. It's white with a fabric-like texture and lotsa black spots (mold?). It looks like it needs some maintenance work and I was wondering what's the best product for cleaning and sealing?<br>Thanks, Chris
Old 06-01-2003, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Travel trailer roof maintenance

A mild detergent like liquid laundry detergent with some oxi-clean and a car wash brush has always worked well for me. Some people will use a little liquid bleach to help kill the mold diluted in some water first may be a good idea.<br><br>Don't mix chlorine bleach and oxi-clean, do the diluted chlorine bleach first to kill the mold, then after rinse do the detergent and oxi-clean. The oxi-clean does a great job of getting the black streaks off the sides as well. <br><br>A great product for sealing the roof is called kool-seal. Sold at most RV stores and camping world. They have instructions on use. I believe they have two types, one for an overall coating and on that is thicker for specific holes. They even have it in a stick on tape or film. <br><br>You will also find &quot;roof protectants&quot; that you apply periodically (sp), I believe they say &quot;every year&quot; but every 2-3 years would be fine. They kind of work like armour all to prevent UV damage etc. The best thing is to spend a few dollars on a cover. Does not have to be fancy, just something to block the sun and prevent build up of dirt, leaves and junk. A cheap one from JC Whitney or a tarp with weights tied to it (milk jugs filled with water) will do the job.<br><br>After your trailer roof is nice and clean, wash the rest of it using the oxi-clean and some zip wax with a car wash brush. It leaves the finish looking good and the black streaks are gone. A coat of wax really helps keep the black streaks away. The easiest to use is the newer &quot;quick wax&quot; types that come in a pump spray bottle. Spray on, wait, buff off. Fast and easy. Check out some of the rv websites on line and you will get a ton of info, hope this helps, Kevin
Old 06-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The detergent-bleach mixture can do a pretty good job of cleaning the roof. The biggest problem is it strips the sides of your coach of any wax you might have had on it and some accent stripes are not resistant to bleach. <br><br>ProtectAll has a new roof cleaner that you apply and work with a sponge mop. Then, you mop it dry never allowing any of the mess run down the side of the coach. I have not used it, but my friend swears by it. I will try it next time. Once you have cleaned it, the ProtectAll roof coating seems to do a pretty good job. I do mine at least once a year. <br><br>Do not ever use a product that contains any petroleum products on your EPDM roof.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:53 PM

To kill the mold, put a cup of white vinegar in a gallon of wash water. The vinegar is a weak acid which will kill mold. The dilute acid will not have any effect on the wax or paint. Stubborn spots take straight white vinegar on a rag and rub the spot. Rince well after treatment. <br><br>Check RV stores even Wally World for products for a rupper room. As FiverBob said, Don't use products which contain petroleum.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:28 PM

Sounds like I got some options. I've noticed in the &quot;Wally&quot; World catalog a few different products - kinda like products for the crapper, too many choices! This roof has almost as many black spots as it's got white. :<br>Is Kool-Seal the way to go on an old roof to get a few more years out of it?<br><br>Thanks, Chris
Old 06-02-2003, 12:29 AM

If you have an EDPM rubber roof, don't consider Kool Seal until you have eradicated the black spots, mold. Once the mold is no longer present, If the roof is sound, no leaks. Just keep it clean. Manufacturers of rubber roofs don't recommend any coatings.

Protect-All makes a good produce. Thetford also makes a good product.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:24 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Ditto on Sierra for Cool Seal. Cool Seal has several products out, one of which is petroleum based. The other is an elastomeric which has no petroleum. It is normally used on fixed applications such as mobile home roofs. ProtectAll or Thetford would be better choices. They do contain RV blockers which can help prolong life (if we believe all they tell us ??? ??? ). Forgot about the vinegar. It will kill the mildew, but does not bleach it. Hey, it is not all that important that the roof be pure white - - who is looking at the roof except you when you are up there. So, do your best at cleaning it and brightening it up, kill the stuff, then coat it. <br><br>The best part, it's so much fun doing it. <br><br>OnTopOfItBob
Old 06-05-2003, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Your advice has been right-on according to manufacturers site! Check out dicor.com//faq.html.<br><br>Thanks, Chris