Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer hook up

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer hook up

I tow a 37 foot fifth wheel with my 2015 Ram 2500. I had the 7 point connection installed in the bed of the truck for the fifth wheel. I know would like to tow the boat behind the fifth wheel. My question is can I plug the boat (with brakes) into the factory installed 7 point plug on the bumper and the fifth wheel trailer to the plug in the bed and both the fifth wheel and boat trailer lights and brakes work?
Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I don't see why not, the two plugs are ganged together in parallel but I think there is a 3 axle limit and if your RV has elect over hydraulic then I don't think it would work using the factory controller. I would try plugging them both in side by side and see if the factory controller can "see" them before I would permanently wire them. Why not just tie into the RV wiring and mount a plug at the rear of the RV? Are you sure you won't be over your max length limit?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
Are you sure you won't be over your max length limit?
If it is a boat trailer that has brakes, pretty sure you will be over max length. Might want to check.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The big problem will be, if both have electric brakes, is going to be the weight difference between the trailers and the setting on the brake controler. If you set for the heavy trailer, the brakes on the light load will lock up and set for the light load won't be enough for the heavy trailer...
Old 03-10-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dual brake controllers if boat has electric brakes is the way I'd go.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would never tow tandum trailers, not enough braking power on the truck even if you could keep them inline.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 PM

If the Dealer installed a T-Harness to wire in the Box plug it would be no problem at all.
Odds are your boat trailer has Surge Hydraulic Brakes and wont need to rely on the Trucks Brake Controller because they would be totally independent.
As far as being Overlength it all depends on where you are from State wise. I am North of the border and run through 4 Provinces at 75ft all legal. Not including Bc.
I pulled a heavy 16 ft for years with no brakes and not an issue. Switched to an 18ft 2 yrs ago with the Surge Brakes and it works very well to say the least.
Pulling Double is not for everyone and the second Trailer hitchweight is very important. I run up around 100lbs and it tows straight as a arrow. Not enough hitchweight and it will put you in a bind as soon as a Down hill decent has started and then all bets are off.
I used to run Doubles for a living and this setup is even easier to manage or even backup.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Are your boat trailer brakes electric or surge type? Also, you'd have to make up a pretty long cord for the boat trailer.

Check your local laws too. Texas has some new ones for tandem and some new length laws that apply to pickup type tow vehicles.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by juicedcummins
As far as being Overlength it all depends on where you are from State wise. I am North of the border and run through 4 Provinces at 75ft all legal. Not including Bc.
Thanks for posting this. I needed to tow double from Alberta to Manitoba and thought towing double was not allowed in Manitoba. After some research it is NOW legal in MB up to 70ft. 75ft in Sk and 20meters in Alberta. I will be just over the 20m but fine for the rest of the trip, I was planning on dropping the second trailer at the SK /MB border but not now. You saved me 12 hours extra driving.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
Thanks for posting this. I needed to tow double from Alberta to Manitoba and thought towing double was not allowed in Manitoba. After some research it is NOW legal in MB up to 70ft. 75ft in Sk and 20meters in Alberta. I will be just over the 20m but fine for the rest of the trip, I was planning on dropping the second trailer at the SK /MB border but not now. You saved me 12 hours extra driving.
The max Length for Mb and Ont is 23m or 75 1/2 ft. All good took lots of digging for the proper Ont Spec. Lots of misinformation on the web. Plated in Mb lets me run 23m all way west except Bc.
It has been legal as long as I remember. The Folks from south of the Border used to come up this way as far back as the 70's from my memory and head North after the Big Pike.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by juicedcummins
The max Length for Mb and Ont is 23m or 75 1/2 ft. All good took lots of digging for the proper Ont Spec. Lots of misinformation on the web. Plated in Mb lets me run 23m all way west except Bc.
It has been legal as long as I remember. The Folks from south of the Border used to come up this way as far back as the 70's from my memory and head North after the Big Pike.
Thanks again, I was going to use my equipment trailer with a skid steer on it behind the 5ver RV but now might load the skid steer into my dump trailer and drag that out to the farm. For years I was told you couldn't tow double in MB but I haven't lived there for 35 years.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:18 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
" a skid steer on it behind the 5ver RV"

That would be an awful lot of weight on the back of a 5'er. You have to consider whatever tongue weight you add onto the back of the 5'er you take off the pin. A pin too light is bad. Plus the frames on rv's aren't as strong as you may think.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:38 AM

The RV is a 2012 36ft with a Lippert frame but when I bought it new I beefed up the frame, crossed braced it at the rear and changed out the axles so it's not really your "standard" RV. My 4 tanks are all up front including 500lbs of potable water, I also plan to load a back hoe attachment and auger drill in the basement to ensure I have lots of pin weight. With the new brake controller I added the brakes are more than enough, I found I had to back the controller down to about 2/3rds.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:49 AM

I had Lippert Frame troubles. That particular trailer went back to the factory twice for repair. It was an 07 Model 34-11"long. The problem with it was the 90Deg area of the Neck. Had to Drag it home from Dawson Creek BC so the local dealer could send it back to Indiana again.There was another in Dawson at the time in a dealer there with the Neck Broke out of it. Mine had under 5k on it since last trip down and had not pulled double either.