Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer brake issues

Well I pulled a good one. Backing up today I pinched the pigtail quite bad on my toyhaller. I had to reconnect most of the wires, including the brake (blue).
This is my problem, I do not have brakes when I press on the truck brake pedal, although brake lights work on both the trailer and the truck. The green light on the brake controler is on when I have the trailer plugged in and if I pull on brake controler lever, I have brakes on the trailer (I tried this while pulling the trailer). I have checked all the fuses that I can find both in the truck and the trailer.
What am I missing, did I blow the controler? Is there something else that I need to look at?
Thanks for the responces in advance.

'I have a Tokanish (sp?) controler, 05 Desert Fox Toy Haller 28"
Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
If I understand you correctly, if you activate your trailer brakes manually they work, but they don't work when you are stopping normally with the brake pedal.

Firstly I would double check the two adjustment ***** on the brake controller (gain and level), make sure they didn't get bumped. Adjust the gain right to the top and see if it makes a difference.

Next I would test the power and ground entering the brake controller, especially the brake lamp input- if that's missing, the controller doesn't know you want to stop. If everything looks normal at this point, I would assume the controller has failed.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. You are read the post correctly. I have checked the settings and actually had to adjust them for the manuel braking so I did not throw my wife into the dash.

I have yet to check the inputs because I really did not know where to start. That should be labeled in the wires comming out the back of the controler, correct? What should I see on the meter?

Thanks again
Old 08-13-2007, 11:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The brake lamp input is generally the red wire on the controller. Should have 12 volts when the brake pedal is pressed, and 0 volts when it is not. The black wire should have 12 volts all the time, and the white wire is ground.