Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing Two Trailers in Western US

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Two Trailers in Western US

Anybody know about restrictions to towing a small trailer (for quads) behind a fifth wheel in the western states? I am going on a trip to the southwest and will be hitting Montana, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming

It's hard to find information on this searching the web so if anybody knows where to look please post the link. This trailer configuration is allowed all over canada except for British Columbia I believe.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 11:06 AM

Check this out
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Old 01-05-2006, 01:07 PM

I am pretty sure that you need some kind of endorsement to be able to do this. I don't know if it is a type of CDL or just something else.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:41 PM

You probably don't need any special endorsements (except Cali) but I have not found one of the online towing guides to ba 100% accurate. Call the highway patrol in each and every state you plan on travelling in.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:11 PM

I just talked to a third party CDL testing agent about this same thing last week. He told me that as long I was hot a commercial hauler I could haul the same as you are thinking. Now I thought he might be wrong so he called over two more agent's and they said the same thing! But they all pointed out that I still need to stay within the tow rating of the truck and that the hitch on the first trailer (in your case a fiver) and the trailer it's self needs to be a factory approved setup. It was felt that I could get in more trouble for not having the correct setup . Now I have seen fiver's with boats behind them a great deal around the midwest. I pointed that out and they all said no endorsment's needed because it's not commercial. I do have a CDL BC, 26001lbs+ with air. And I'm thinking of getting the A indorsement with dbls. In the long of it I would call the state patrols in the states I'm passing through just to be safe

Kenny k.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the info guys I'll be calling the highway patrols to be sure.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:21 AM

i tow a jeep behind my fiver all the time

it all depends on which state your are towing through, most don't require a cdl but some won't let you do it
Old 01-06-2006, 10:33 AM

You see it here in SoCal quite often when going to the desert. In talking with guys doing it, they say no licence required, limited to 65 feet total length and the GCWR of the tow vehicle.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by 6stringdiesel
Anybody know about restrictions to towing a small trailer (for quads) behind a fifth wheel in the western states? I am going on a trip to the southwest and will be hitting Montana, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming
RV double trailers are allowed in all states mentioned, as long as the 1st trailer is a 5th wheel pin. (Colorado allows 1st trailer ball hitch)

It's NOT allowed in New Mexico, Washington, and Oregon if you're in the area.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:38 PM

CDL requirement are nationwide for vehicles with combined weight over 26000#. our pickups are not legal at that weight so i say no to CDL requiremtns asx to doing this. I see horse trailers pulled empty in this configuration all the time and they are goosenecks not fifth wheels. I never understood fifth wheel laws such as passengers in fifth wheels allowed but not goosenecks. A gooseneck has a heavier rating in the sales brochures I have looked at. If I want to get in my bed bad enough I would ride back there anyway. But that is a different subject.