Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing two trailers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing two trailers

Awhile back someone had a website that showed what the law was in every state on the length for two trailers. Does anyone remember that site? Thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 05:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re:Towing two trailers

Seriously, could I hook up my travel trailer and then my bike trailer or boat and pull them both with my Ram pickup?<br>I know wreckers can pull a broken vehicle with a traler attached just because it is an &quot;emergency&quot; situation, but <br>i have not heard of this being allowed, or seen it happen on anything other than wreckers and semis.<br><br>If I can, that will be COOL, as my CTD will pull a house anyway. ;D<br><br>Thanks,<br>Chris
Old 07-23-2003, 06:13 PM

I don't know where to find the exact laws. When we were in the horse trailer business I used to haul two gooseneck trailers at the same time. I would go up to Cresco Iowa to the Featherlite plant and pick up 2 24' trailers. I would hook the fisrt one to my truck, then I had a little traierl with a gooseneck hitch on it and I would hook up the second gooseck up to that. I measured my rig once from front to back and I had just over 77' feet. I really gotta a lot of stairs going down the interstate. But the fuz never gave me any trouble. ;D 8)
Old 07-23-2003, 06:21 PM

check out rvsafety.com
Old 07-23-2003, 07:04 PM

I did check out the site but I never saw anything on two trailers. Any one else?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:12 PM

Check THIS out.

DON'T be fooled into thinking the rules for RVs are the same as for commercial vehicles. They're not necessarily.

Stan
Old 07-23-2003, 07:20 PM

[quote author=ridofpwrstroke link=board=11;threadid=17446;start=0#163374 date=1059005095]<br>I did check out the site but I never saw anything on two trailers. Any one else? [/quote]<br><br>In this LINK look in the next to last column on the right.<br><br>Stan
Old 07-23-2003, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some states allow it as some provinces but certain lengths and weights are applied. Hauling commercial new trailers fall under commercial ventures different rules. Travelling from Alaska through Canada, BC does not allow doubles and enforce it Alberta it is legal up to 65'. If the second trailer has brakes trying to balance the braking from lead to second trailer is tricky, brake controller may be to small. PK
Old 07-23-2003, 09:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

P Kennedy,<br>I have to think that pulling 2 trailers would make an E-brake mandatory, even if just from a common sense point of view. :P<br><br>Chris
Old 07-23-2003, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stamey I haved pulled 2 trailers without an E brake and not any problems but any trailer it is nice to have an exhaust brake. However the brakes I was refering to was co-ordinating and matching the electric trailer brakes with one behind the other. We just sold a 27ft 5th wheel holiday trailer and we pulled 2 quads behind it, gross weight combined 17980lbs. Lots here are quite a bit heavier with just the one trailer. We experienced problems with 2 trailers and the second one had same axles as the lead but was loaded quite a bit lighter causing the brakes to lockup and skid. PK
Old 07-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've pulled doubles several times...one needs the proper brake controller to supply sufficient current to charge all axles and it is required to have brakes on all axles with doubles.
I have an exhaust brake too.
I got caught in a snag going down I-15 thru that lil piece of AZ one time. They had a shorter limit of 55ft not 65 ft and it cost me 178.00 to go through 30 miles to NV.
So the next time I pulled doubles I cut over on I-80 and down, I think its Highway 93 or 95 south through Jackpot to Vegas.

I am seriously considering getting a 24ft 5th wheel and towing the 24ft enclosed car trailer behind it when going to shows.

Anyone know how long an 03 or 04 3500 4 door is? I hope I am under length. I can deduct 8ft off the 5th wheel for what goes over the bed correct? I guess I then add 3 ft for the tongue on the tag trailer behind though. Its probably real close but makes sense after doing the math for all the hotel rooms and eating in the restaurants all the time.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:46 AM

249.7&quot; on a 3500 quad cab dually.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:46 AM

I've seen that link on another RV forum. I don't think the information is up to date. I've pulled double a bit (5th and boat) and never have been pulled over or questioned. It was at 65'. Went through a few states that posted a shorter length. A few times I did call ahead to State Police to get suggestions. The typical answer was as long as I kept it within a couple of miles of the interstate corridor and don't block any roads (plan your route, know where you are going) I'd be fine. Pulled mostly on I-80 from NV to MI, a couple of trips to Branson, MO, and a lot up and down the front range of CO. I had surge brakes on the boat axles so the brake control power was o.k. This was all rec vehicle type stuff, don't know if it matters that much. I'd plan your route and call SP for suggestions.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Cummins Luke link=board=11;threadid=17446;start=0#163541 date=1059050762]<br>249.7&quot; on a 3500 quad cab dually. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks Luke.<br>Dang I am either just over or just under...depending on the pin position on the 5th wheel and the tongue length on the tag trailer.<br>I guess I will know when I hook it all up.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:25 AM

[quote author=wheezer link=board=11;threadid=17446;start=0#163542 date=1059050763]<br>I've seen that link on another RV forum. I don't think the information is up to date. I've pulled double a bit (5th and boat) and never have been pulled over or questioned. It was at 65'. Went through a few states that posted a shorter length. A few times I did call ahead to State Police to get suggestions. The typical answer was as long as I kept it within a couple of miles of the interstate corridor and don't block any roads (plan your route, know where you are going) I'd be fine. This was all rec vehicle type stuff, don't know if it matters that much. I'd plan your route and call SP for suggestions. [/quote]<br><br>The site was last updated 7/21/02. Possible, though not likely, that legislatures or DOT has changed some of the rules.<br><br>Not being bothered does not mean it's not illegal. If it is illegal and one trooper doesn't bother you, doesn't mean the next one you come across won't.<br><br>If you call any agency for information log the name of the agency, date, time and name of the person you talked to. Make sure the person you talk to understands you are talking about an RV and that it is not a commercial operation. In many cases it does make a difference. You may possibly need that info down the road. I've had many people tell me, &quot;I called Boise and Boise said...&quot;. You can't call Boise and Boise doesn't talk. Give me a name!<br><br>Retired Idaho law enforcement.<br><br>Stan

Quick Reply: Towing two trailers