Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tongue shock....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tongue shock....

Has anyone ever used a tongue shock??
I found this one on line and I think it looks pretty interesting... I was going to modify the actual tongue of the trailer so that it worked like the air assisted shock tongues on a 5'er... I found this when I was looking to see if anyone else had done it before.. This is the only thing I have found for a bumper pull trailer.
http://www.etrailer.com/p-CAB-UD.htm
Any thoughts?

I have about 300K on my current trailer and it is getting time to put it down... I am going to install shocks on the axles of the new one and I know it takes a lot of abuse from the shock of the truck as well... The reason I know is I have had to completely rebuild this one once... I mean re-welding the uprights back to the subframe...The box was coming up about 4-6" if I hit a speed bump too hard! I hated to see that out of the rearview!!!
Anyway... I am building a purpose built trailer to do what I want and it is going to have plenty of toys on it....

Oilguy
Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 PM

Ive used these before and theyre really heavy duty. They make it much smoother and take a lot of the jerkiness out of it. Ive never used one while pulling a trailer, but usually theres not much "shock" while pulling a trailer anyways. Mainly i think theyre good for pulling wagons.

http://www.schuckhitches.com/
Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

From the website;

Maximum trailer weight of 5,000 lbs. Maximum tongue weight of of 500 lbs.
Not good for much.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:01 AM

Try this one on for size:

http://www.easyriderhitch.com/receiverairhitch.html

saw it on the back of a dodge one day on the highway. I don't personally know how well it would work, but I bet it would work alot better than the one you were looking at. Plus you can get a class V
Old 01-19-2007, 09:21 AM

I've got a 10000lb cushioned tongue, which I like very much. All the millions of small forward-aft shocks are absorbed by the cushion instead of the truck's driveline. For the cost difference over a standard tongue, I highly recommend the cushion.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Take a peak at this one.

http://www.airridehitch.com/Class-5-Bullet.jpg
Old 01-19-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oilguy
Has anyone ever used a tongue shock??
I found this one on line and I think it looks pretty interesting... I was going to modify the actual tongue of the trailer so that it worked like the air assisted shock tongues on a 5'er... I found this when I was looking to see if anyone else had done it before.. This is the only thing I have found for a bumper pull trailer.
http://www.etrailer.com/p-CAB-UD.htm
Any thoughts?

I have about 300K on my current trailer and it is getting time to put it down... I am going to install shocks on the axles of the new one and I know it takes a lot of abuse from the shock of the truck as well... The reason I know is I have had to completely rebuild this one once... I mean re-welding the uprights back to the subframe...The box was coming up about 4-6" if I hit a speed bump too hard! I hated to see that out of the rearview!!!
Anyway... I am building a purpose built trailer to do what I want and it is going to have plenty of toys on it....

Oilguy

Looks like a good way to wear your reciever out.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by FiverBob

That is what I am talking about!!! I just found that one after calling easyrider... $595 isn't too bad considering how hard it would be to build one for myself.

Originally Posted by slim51015
Looks like a good way to wear your reciever out.
I have worn out 4 receivers and 4 ***** with this trailer! I had one receiver that had 1/2" of play in and out.... I have had to spend about $1000 minimum in repairs due to tongue shock and that is not including tanny repair... I don't know that it was caused by the shock to the drivetrain...
I like that air safe setup...
Old 01-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned

i think d. wiggs has a pretty nice set up too

brett
Old 01-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by bretteaton
i think d. wiggs has a pretty nice set up too

brett
Do you know the brand?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

heres the link to where the pic is at in his garage. i think he said its a class 6 air ride hitch

http://www.dwiggsgarage.com/Dodge_Ram_2.html

brett
Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems like a lot of unfair leverage is applied to the receiver because of how far back the ball is. I know when I load my trailer heavily on the front end I can see the receiver bend down a little. Thoughts?

Wetspirit
Old 01-20-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by bretteaton
heres the link to where the pic is at in his garage. i think he said its a class 6 air ride hitch

http://www.dwiggsgarage.com/Dodge_Ram_2.html

brett
yeah... that is definately the Air-Safe rig... I like those the best of what I have seen so far.
I can't believe that guys fleet! Looks like a lot of fun!

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
It seems like a lot of unfair leverage is applied to the receiver because of how far back the ball is. I know when I load my trailer heavily on the front end I can see the receiver bend down a little. Thoughts?
Wow... If you are bending you reciever... You might want to get a heavier duty one!... How many lb's are you loading on there? I usually have about 500lbs of tongue weight so I don't see any bendage.

OG
Old 01-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the Air Safe air ride fiver hitch in my truck. They make a good product.

Bob
Old 01-21-2007, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the compliments! Yes, it is the AirRide Hitch and it is a Class 6. I LOVE it. It works really well and whether you have an unladen trailer or heavily loaded; it smooths the ride out dramatically! No metal on metal bouncing noises like crappy u-haul hitches.

Quick Reply: Tongue shock....