Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tips for towing in icey or snowy conditions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tips for towing in icey or snowy conditions...

22' enclosed, spread axle, 8k loaded, weight distributing hitch and sway control...
Never have towed in those conditions before, but I am doing an Indy to Socal to Indy tour in febuary...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Old 11-23-2006, 03:28 PM

Slow down increase following distance. Set of chains for at least 1 axle of trailer and full set for the truck.

Jed
Old 11-23-2006, 03:36 PM

best advice(scheduel permitting) is don't. get a room and let them plow and sand road. if you must drive get cables for at least two trailer tires and mount them left front and right rear(if you only have two). you will use the trailer chains first. get a full set of iron for truck and use as required. when slowing or stopping make sure your controler leads the braking(comes on before truck brakes). if you must chain the truck use all four. some folks say just the front but trailer may push rear end out with front only. leave plenty of room and look far far ahead. try to drive daylight only. stay comfortable don't try to "keep up". hopefully someone with experince can go with you.
Clark
Old 11-23-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also pull the ABS fuse for slippery/loose road conditions - unless you're not a good, experienced driver.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:59 PM

Wow, lets hope for a mild winter.

This is a solo trip and used to driving 20 plus hours at a time in the no snow/ice threats...

I am not new to towing but never in poopy conditions...
Old 11-23-2006, 04:21 PM

Listen to Darkvaders advice. If it gets to snowing heavy, check in to a truck stop till the sand trucks go by or get a motel if its night time. Usually in December the seasons are changing and when its just a bit below freezing the snow is very slippery. On a cold damp morning there could be black ice on the road. Thats an icy coat that looks like pavement and you cant realy tell untill your wheels start to spin and you realise whats going on. Its a real pucker factor. Usually the road crews get right at the main roads and after they are salted and sanded there is lots of traction. Dont mean to try to scare you but these are just the facts of winter driving. I have been over the road in the north here for thirty five years driving transport and have put up with way too many winter roads. Best advice is to pretend there is an egg under your foot when you step on the gas or brake and you will be just fine....
Old 11-23-2006, 05:27 PM

NO CRUISE that is key and treat the snow like you would on a ski hill look for good snow to stop on and not the flat shiny stuff
Old 11-23-2006, 06:19 PM

The best single answer is "DON'T".
Old 11-23-2006, 07:56 PM

thanks for all advice, I will head south and cut over to 10 then 8 to SD, I will take all your advise very seriously...

Did Black ice back in the 80's in KS, 15 mph was a work out like going 150, just thinking about that again raised my blood pressure.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:14 PM

It's not too bad, Just have confidence in yourself and your driving capabilites. Don't go out of your comfort zone and you will be just fine. Bring all the things you may need, like chains, and don't be afraid to use them. Another Important saftey feature is tires. Make sure the Pickup and Trailer have a good set of tires on them. Other than that Have a good trip.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:14 PM

I've traveled dragging a trailer in the middle of winter and if you watch the weather forcast and plan your trip accordingly, you can save yourself a lot of headaches.

I plan 2 routes, the shortest one possible, and a southern one as an alternative. Sometimes going the southern-most as possible is a better choice. It may add a few miles, but, is the least nerve-wracking.

The biggest thing is to take your time, when it gets bad, slow down. If you don't have a weather monitor or a CB radio with a weather monitor - get one - they are cheap and DO come in handy. Plan as much of you driving as you can in the daylight hours, the sun usually helps to keep the roads dry or at least melted. Once the sun goes down ice can really be a problem. I-40 through NM on both west and east sides of Albuquerque can be pretty nasty. If you are planning to go that way you will need a set of chains as they are required here if you do not have 4wd and winter type tires. Crossing the Cont Divide can have snow, and lots of it.

Also make sure you have plenty of food, water, blanket or two, etc as you can sometimes get hung up due to accidents.

Just use your head, drive relaxed, take regular breaks, and enjoy the sites and the drive. Have a good time.

CD
Old 11-23-2006, 10:49 PM

keep in mind, some states don't allow the use of chains or cables[ Illinois]big fines if your caught using them,
Old 11-23-2006, 11:11 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Many western states will do absolutely nothing to the roads, no plows, no sand, and no salt.

Many of the divide states will have big light-up signs that when lit will say CHAINS.

If you are caught without chains, between lit CHAINS signs , be prepared to pay astronomical fines.

Also, use plenty of anti-gel.

I have seen many a truck simply quit pulling, and shut down, on account of fuel gelling, usually in the filter.

Keep several bottles of anti-gel, un-opened, and handy.

Should your fuel gel, remove the filter, pour it full of anti-gel, replace the filter, and crank up the engine.

Good, hot, big, batteries are a must.

It won't be your driving that screws you up, but the other idiots that can't seem to get it through their thick heads that winter roads are no place for being in a hurry.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:59 PM

Be very light on the skinny pedal. Had to make a trip last winter pulling my 5er and still had the rear end try to pass the front while trying to accelerate gently going uphill. Yes, slow down and watch out for the idiots. And everybody out there is an idiot when it comes to driving on snow and ice. Actually, they are idiots all the time they are driving.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:40 AM

Make sure trailer brakes are working properly and in good shape use the brake controller to stop when able , disconnect ABS on truck and take extra care with load placement , load more towards front . Drive more defensive and pay attention to what is down the road so you know what to expect before it is to late .

Quick Reply: Tips for towing in icey or snowy conditions...