Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Time to get a different drivers license...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Time to get a different drivers license...

I just found this today...

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/sgi_internet/sg..._article3.html

I wonder if they enforce that for non residents like Ontario does?

I am told that there is an effort to have these rules in place across Canada.

Anything like this happening in the USA?

Scotty
Old 03-20-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's one thing: money.

Only they'll sell it as safety. Surely these overloaded haulers cost millions of lives per year (more tens, maybe).

And CERTAINLY charging them more money to get the special license will make them safer, right???

The safety goons here don't have as much leverage, because we already have a safety law for almost everything, and such a law here would probably be killed by a farmer's interest group.

jmo
Old 03-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree its about money. I was surprised to see its already enforced. Even though I was never hassled, I can imagine how I would be hung out to dry if I was in an accident towing and not even at fault. I think its also a loop hole for the insurance company...the same one I had all sorts of problems with representing me when I was not at fault last Feb in an accident.

I still think its not a bad idea to have a driving test available for folks that plan to tow over a certain length or weight.
I know of several folks that retired from working at a desk and driving a car, that went out and bought a big truck and RV upon retiring. It takes awhile to get accustomed to that change and it also would help if there was a course to take.

Scotty
Old 03-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Chapter President

Personally, I don't think that is such a bad idea.....People that gross out that heavy and often tow quite long trailers should be held accountable to some type of standard that reflects their vehicle and trailer combo. The basic driver's license standards shouldn't and doesn't apply.

In Ontario, the class G license has always only been good for the towed vehicle (trailer) to not be in excess of 4600 kg (just over 10,000 lbs) even though it IS good for upto a GCWR of 11,000 kg. This is where many people seem to get confused. In Ontario, pick ups don't have to stop at the scales so the enforcement issue is sketchy at best. Most out of town RVers won't likely get hassled unless there is some sort of blitz or special enforcement crackdown taking place at that moment.

I live in Southern Ontario and not very far away from some of the busiest freeways by volume in North America and 1/2 hour away from the busiest by volume border crossing. Needless to say, there is an abundance of through traffic both commercial and recreational. I have seen more than my share of terrible accidents, near misses and the like as a result of where I live which have involved inappropriately equipped tow vehicles and drivers with clearly a general lack of experience and understanding towing these very heavy combos get into terrible trouble. Unfortunately, these licensing laws still won't prevent the family of 4, usually with the family dog, hop in their Ford Explorer complete with 4 bicycles and a roof rack and hitch up their 29' travel trailer and think they can safely do 75 mph and keep up with the left lane traffic since they aren't technically breaking any laws if the trailer is under 10,000 lbs.....even though these are very unsafe operating conditions. Often, people that do such things as this are those with the LEAST experience and will get into trouble quickly.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
I still think its not a bad idea to have a driving test available for folks that plan to tow over a certain length or weight.
I know of several folks that retired from working at a desk and driving a car, that went out and bought a big truck and RV upon retiring. It takes awhile to get accustomed to that change and it also would help if there was a course to take.
I agree with CTD NUT and Scotty,,,,, but the following statement makes you wonder where their logic is comming from.
From the article; "Raddatz notes that a driver does not need a special licence to drive a motorhome,"

Most motorhomes are towing dingy-vehicles behind them which puts their weight and length right up there with a truck/trailer combo.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked the Ontario regs when I bought my trailer. Basically in Ontario if the trailer is over 10,000 pounds you are supposed to have a class A license. Since I have to have the medical to drive an ambulance anyway, the test for the class A was no big deal. I just feel more comfortable knowing that I meet the requirements in the event of an accident. Th MTO enforement guys said they normally don't pull over RVs but it could be difficult in some circumstances if you don't have the proper class of licence. Personally I think it is a good idea that you at least have some clue how to drive a larger rig. I also think that there are special requirements for motor homes here as well if they are over a certain weight.

Casey
Old 03-21-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty
I agree its about money. I was surprised to see its already enforced. Even though I was never hassled, I can imagine how I would be hung out to dry if I was in an accident towing and not even at fault. I think its also a loop hole for the insurance company...the same one I had all sorts of problems with representing me when I was not at fault last Feb in an accident.

Scotty
I agree. It seems weird to me that if you want to buy a huge truck and haul professionally, then you have a whole littany of rules to follow.

Yet, you buy a nearly-as-huge RV that's even MORE dangerous (worse brakes, less stability, etc), and you're OK to drive it with just a regular license?

Heck, they make you get special licenses for motorcycles, which are much safer (from an operational perspective) and less risk to others.

jmo
Old 03-21-2006, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bla, bla , bla. Just keep driving and don't worry about it.