Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Thinking of getting a 5'er, any brands to AVOID?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:38 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thinking of getting a 5'er, any brands to AVOID?

A recent trip to an RV show has my wife chirping about a 5'er.

Most of the ones we saw were nice, there were only a select few that we outright did NOT like for one reason or another.

There were three brands being displayed, a total of about 250 units all together.

We saw: Jayco, Gulfstream & "Cardinal" (not sure if that was the name brand or not?)

Anyway, I saw too many to remember all the specifics, but from what I can remember, the 28.5's /30's looked to be close to our price range and comfortable.

How about some horror stories, or praise for particular brands?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely look at the Montana's. Probably the best bang for the buck in value, usability, livability and quality. They are built by Keystone. Don’t get me wrong though I am not saying they are the best and you should run out and buy one. What I am saying is they are worth a look at before you buy anything. My wife and I started with a Coachmen Travel Trailer, went to a Fleetwood and now have a Mountaineer. It took three tries before we found the right one. We looked for several years before we found the one that really fit us. Storage space, weight, capacities (water, LP, waste) and warranties all figured into our decision. We went with the Mountaineer (Keystone little brother to Montana) because it as an all aluminum structure, the underbelly is enclosed and it felt right to us when we entered the rig. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Prior to our current 5th wheel, we owned 3 Jaycos and were quite satisfied with the quality, value and customer support.

Rusty
Old 06-05-2006, 03:02 PM

We bought a Wildcat about this time last year. So far it's been great. Havn't found anything worth a trip back to the dealer for. Just a few odds and ends, tighten a screw here, squirt a little silicone there... Overall, we're very happy with it.

We bought the Wildcat mainly because it had a nearly perfet floorplan. Foldup bunks in the back that make for a nice storage room because we travel with at least 4 bikes. But also, they seem to offer a little more for the money when it comes to features.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:14 AM

We've had Jayco and now Montana would reccomend both. Most "bad" units are usually easy to spot by the quality of the fit and finish and the choice of components. Bad engineering is often hidden but surfaces in RV related forums.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
You asked a tough question on a public forum. Someone always gets ticked off if you say something negative about what they own. Oh well, let's try not to tick everyone off.

If you check Consumers Guide, there are some specific brands they don't rate very high. Also, a lot depends on how big you are looking at and how much money. No sense telling you to look at a 36' Newmar at $60,000 if you are thinking more in the line of $40,000. There are several companies that have some bad reps. A couple of them are Fleetwood and Gulfstream. Both of those companies have acquired other smaller companies that make a pretty good trailer. Kinda depends how long ago they acquired them and how many changes have they made in their production techniques trying to squeeze more dollars out per unit sold.

In less expensive lines, Jayco and Montana seem to have a pretty good rep. If you want to move up to higher line rigs, I would suggest looking at Newmar or Carriage, but keep them shorter or you won't pull them with your Dodge.

A couple other things to watch - - most of the upper end units use plywood (no chipboard), aluminum framed sidewalls at 16"oc and no vacuum bonded walls. Try to get gel coat sidewalls, not Filon. Go for electric slide mechanisms over hydraulic.

There, that ought to be enough to get some fur flying.

FiverBob
Old 06-06-2006, 04:58 PM
P.J
Banned

Thanks for the replies,
Bob, I am more in the "Low End" category for now. If I spend 60K on something it needs to have some block and mortar under it I respect those that can afford that level of quality, though I am not one of them.

I will admit, the depreciation aspect of RV's has me concerned. I have been a boater for many years and seen more than one person end up in a bad way trying to rid themselves of something they couldn't live without just a few years prior.
I know they are for FUN, and you can't have fun for free, but I am starting to think I might be in the used market (the pricing was a shock).
Old 06-06-2006, 05:19 PM

There's a pretty nice looking but older 5ver for sale on Rt.50 in Hebron. I'd be glad to get the details for you if you're interested. The people selling it are old, the husband died last year, I'm sure it's in pretty good shape. Let me know and I'll get you the info.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:20 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Timberman
There's a pretty nice looking but older 5ver for sale on Rt.50 in Hebron. I'd be glad to get the details for you if you're interested. The people selling it are old, the husband died last year, I'm sure it's in pretty good shape. Let me know and I'll get you the info.
There is one up this way on 213 that has been sitting for a while, I'm going to stop out and take a closer look tomorrow. I'm definitely looking for something less than 6 or so years old. It seems the styling has changed a bit (as with everything). The older ones are a little "boxy" for my wife's taste.

Just realized you said "older", Thanks for the offer, but I am looking for something "newer".
Old 06-06-2006, 07:54 PM

10-4. I might check it out anyway. Be fun to have, but not for any 40K. I'm thinking like 3K! I'm sure you'll find a good one, there's plenty of em out there.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
I will admit, the depreciation aspect of RV's has me concerned.
5ers depreciate a lot slower than travel trailers for some reason. We started out looking at used units too, but if you're looking for something in good shape, they tend to want almost as much as a new one. Also, the dealers have LOTS of wiggle room on their pricing so don't let sticker shock scare ya too much. We bought a trailer that had a 'retail' price of $32,000 for $23,500. So get them to wiggle
Old 06-07-2006, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should be able to get 30-33% off MSRP on a new 5th wheel if you work hard at it. If you want someone else to take the depreciation hit, I wouldn't hesitate to look at a 2 or 3 year old higher-line 5th wheel - you can get quite a bit more for your money that way.

You might also want to consider the Sunnybrook (aka Mobile Scout in some geographic areas) and the Nash/Arctic Fox products if you're shopping new at $40K and under. In addition to the brands/manufacturers mentioned by FiverBob, I'd stay away from Dutchmen.

We really like our Mobile Suites - they use top line components and put them together well, but unless you buy used, they're over your price limit.

Rusty
Old 06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Timberman
10-4. I might check it out anyway. Be fun to have, but not for any 40K. I'm thinking like 3K! I'm sure you'll find a good one, there's plenty of em out there.
WHAT????? $3000 - - - for a fiver that is still moveable. You gotta be kidding. Hopefully you meant $30,000.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:30 PM

We have a Crossroads Cruiser and it has been great.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
There's a 26 foot 5'er on Base on the "lemon lot" for $7500.
I think it's a '98.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a 5'er, any brands to AVOID?