Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Thinking of getting a 5'er, any brands to AVOID?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like the Sunnybrook Titan's, Nu Wa's Hitchhiker II and Discover America, Pilgrim's Open Road, all 3 offerings by Newmar, and a couple others. These are all mid to upper end units with good reputations for quality and service.

The units I listed will carry an MSRP from $50k up to $100k+, but are quite affordable if you can find one 2-3 years old. Like RustyJC said, you should be able to get about 30% off MSRP when new. So that $50k new 5'ver can be had for about $35k new. For a 3-yr old unit in good condition I would think you can get it for under $30k. This also applies for less expensive units also.

By the way, I have heard from a couple different sources that the Alfa's are crap. No 1st hand experience to back that up, however.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:38 PM

We have had our Crossroads Cruiser for over 1 1/2 years now and really like it. Crossroads also has a very good reputation for customer support. I agree with what RustyJC said about getting 30% to 33% off of MSRP if you work at it. We ordered our trailer with every option for 30% off MSRP.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:15 AM
Chapter President

I think the biggest test of what is good, is the amount of units you don't see on the used market. Usually if you see a new trailer you like, and can't find one on the used market, it stands as a testament to the fact people are keeping them. For the ultimate, you can't beat Yukon or Carraige. Terry's are good units for the $$$, and anything made by Forrest River is a good choice (if Warren Buffet belives in the company enough to own stock in it, the company must know what it's doing).
Old 06-08-2006, 07:15 AM

Used vs. New

RVs, like boats, depreciate quickest, towing them off the dealers lot. If you have time to look around, you can definately find some really sweet deals out there by going used. Let the dealers know what you have in mind and to call you if they get anything in. I bought the 5er I have now that way. A retired couple bought it planning to tour the country, they had it for 6 months and decided they really didn't like towing a trailer that size and traded it in on a new motor home. The dealer new what I was looking for and called me as soon as they made the deal. When we got there to look at it, the couple was still transfering their stuff from the trailer to the motor home. Long story short, I bought the trailer for 27K, a month later saw the exact same trailer, new on a lot for 43K. Buying from individuals is a little harder, because most people are trying to get what they've spent or owe (and usually upside down on the balance of the principle), but sometimes you can still get a good deal that way. Finding the right used unit, can take some time and alot of research. I've owned two trailers, the first a Jayco, this one a Sunnybrook, I am happy with both brands. My dad had a Forest River, the sides on it were cracking and delaminating at 3 years old, particularly around the slides, maybe it was just a bad batch. The Jayco, I had for 5 years, we've had our Sunnybrook for 7 years now.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:24 AM

one brand vs. another

Take the time to look at different brands. It doesn't take long to start seeing differences in the quality of construction, inside cabnets, under the chassis, slide units, etc. Some are real pretty on the outside, but when you look under the "skin" their not constructed very well. Every dealer will point out why the construction of their brand is better than the next.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
WHAT????? $3000 - - - for a fiver that is still moveable. You gotta be kidding. Hopefully you meant $30,000.

I just sold a 79 - 24ft Prowler 5th in good working condition for $2500. I then bought a 94 - 30ft Wildwood with a superslide for $7200. You don't have to go in debt to get a nice camper. I would highly recommend a nice older used unit to someone getting started. Just my .02.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:50 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big_papa_moo
I just sold a 79 - 24ft Prowler 5th in good working condition for $2500. I then bought a 94 - 30ft Wildwood with a superslide for $7200. You don't have to go in debt to get a nice camper. I would highly recommend a nice older used unit to someone getting started. Just my .02.
I'm with you buddy.
Care to post a picture of your new set up? I'm curious what that kind of money buys. I was just under the assumption I was going to spend $25,000+ to get anything worth owning.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before you buy anything you might try some of the RV wholesale web sights, you can get great prices off the sights, if you don't mind going out of town to pick up your RV. Or like my wife and I did you can get a price to take to a local dealer to see if they will match it, or at least get close. There are several web sights out there but the one I just found, (have several saved on my computer at the house at work right now) is called RVwholesalers.com.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:07 PM

Be careful buying used if it were not winterized you will really kick yourself. I have a 04 jayco 5 er jayco comes with 2year warranty 3year struct thats a good warranty best that i know of . mine was 33 msrp sale for 21 I'll be in Gettysburg next weekend. there is a maint to the rubber roofs after about two years you are suppose to reseal around all your protrusions thru the roof so you don't void the 15 year warranty also it is considered a 2nd home I write off my intrest if your near gettysburg next weekend let me know I"ll show you mine and show you something to look for. good luck
Old 06-09-2006, 12:01 PM

Crossroads has a 2/5 warranty. There are others as well with that warranty.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by big_papa_moo
I agree - - used in RV's is the ONLY way to buy one. The depreciation is horrible. Mine was 1-1/2 years old, hardly used, retail was $82K equipped the way it is - - I bought it for $42K. The range had never been used. Supposedly it had been towed about 2500 miles. People could not get used to handling that large of a trailer. There are some great buys out there, especially if you can buy from the owner.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:41 PM

Think I got a pretty good deal. The couple I bought it from had been full timing for a while in it, but bought a house and were stopping because of age, so wanted to sell.

There are a few places that needed a little TLC, but for the age it is in very good condition.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:45 PM

You might want to check out the site

http://www.rv.net/forum/

Better quality TT's and 5th's? Arctic Fox and Nash (both made by Northwood)

John
Old 06-09-2006, 08:36 PM
P.J
Banned

BigPapa, very nice indeed! Seems like you got a pretty good deal there! How does your truck do hauling it?

I could swing something like that and not even have to stress about the payment and all. I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to be "that" guy, with a brand spanking new RV and zero experience towing something that big or camping at all for that matter.
I am very particular about my truck, I would be a nervous wreck pulling around a new 5er.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by JCStrasser
You might want to check out the site

http://www.rv.net/forum/

Better quality TT's and 5th's? Arctic Fox and Nash (both made by Northwood)

John
Thanks, I have been checking in there. I'll start bugging them when I get closer to pulling the trigger on one.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a 5'er, any brands to AVOID?