Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Sway Control - Ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway Control - Ground clearance

I purchased a 31 foot tag pull camper this past fall and have towed it several times without incident, including east coast to Denver when I bought it. It has a ramp door and storage area on the front to stow a 4 wheeler. With an ATV in the front, the truck would squat far more than I liked. So, I put an AirLift bag system on it and the squat was gone. However, during very windy crosswinds, that are far from uncommon in Colorado's mountains, I can get a sway that is a bit unpleasant. So, I've been looking into sway control.

The trailer has, at some point in its past, had Reese's 26002 dual cam system on it so the holes are all there already. When I look at that system though, it sure seems like it hangs pretty close to the ground. Campground with full hook ups and concrete pads are really not our thing and we boon dock in the mountains more often than not...so I'm worried about ground clearance when not on pavement. I've already pulled the jacks in favor of stands after bending the hell out of a jack going through a bump. It appears that even if I pull the trunnion bars before going off road, the dual cams stay on the trailer and those would surely drag...wouldn't they?

The camper has 800ish lb of tongue weight empty, with a four wheeler and full water tank I'm sure it's over Dodge's hitch spec without a WD hitch anyway...so probably should put it on regardless but that ground clearance thing bothers me. Wouldn't it drag just going into a gas station parking lot?

Any thoughts from those who have been there and done that would be greatly appreciated. I assume if I do use the weight dist hitch, my airbags would become somewhat useless with that trailer...but the bags are still needed for work and our other trailers as I'm not buying WD for all of them.