Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Smarty jr - towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty jr - towing

Has anyone seen a noticable difference in your mpg while towing with the and what level jr?

I have the s-06 and it smokes while towing on sw1-revo timing 4.
I can control the smoke when I put it on timing 0 or 3 but my mpg goes down and egt's go up.

Any ideas for mpg while towing with little or no smoke?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by #2 only
Has anyone seen a noticable difference in your mpg while towing with the and what level jr?

I have the s-06 and it smokes while towing on sw1-revo timing 4.
I can control the smoke when I put it on timing 0 or 3 but my mpg goes down and egt's go up.

Any ideas for mpg while towing with little or no smoke?
It smokes becuase of the timing being on 4. Your going to either have to live with the smoke or tow on #2,#0... which should still keep your EGT's very cool on SW#1...

I didn't do much timing pre Jr, but my dad did and his mileage has gone down when towing with the smarty Jr... mainly becuase before he was driving his EGT's, and backing out a lot... now he drives a comfortable speed.. which is higher, thus more fuel.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ah64id
It smokes becuase of the timing being on 4. Your going to either have to live with the smoke or tow on #2,#0... which should still keep your EGT's very cool on SW#1...

I didn't do much timing pre Jr, but my dad did and his mileage has gone down when towing with the smarty Jr... mainly becuase before he was driving his EGT's, and backing out a lot... now he drives a comfortable speed.. which is higher, thus more fuel.
yeh, unfortunately the one way of gaining mpg is to control the pedal.
I can live with some smoke, but it soots up the trailer.Maybe tst would be a route to go with since you can adjust the power,timing, and pressure all on the fly.I liked the crazy larry b/c it yielded decent mpg and didn't smoke even under more pedal, but the egt's were hotter though.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the smarty jr only has three settings ? do you have a sr instead . the jr with the 4 software is what you need , will give you about two mpg empty and 1 mpg towing, on the #2 setting it will lower your egt by about 150*, you can pick up another 1 mpg towing by replacing the cam with a pdr cam it also adds 2mpg to the empty mpg
Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 PM

Last week, I completed an RV trip of a bit over 3600 miles from Phoenix, thru CA., OR., WA., ID., UT., & back to Phoenix. I towed my Nash 25' bumperpull trailer with my '03, 3500, 4X4, NV-5600, 3:73 with an AFE Proguard-7 air intake system, Magnaflow muffler & the Smarty JR. set on Towing (70 HP.). The truck also has a 115 gal. auxillary fuel tank that stayed on full all the way to Tacoma, WA. & an ARE camper shell.

The truck ran great the whole trip. Highest EGT's were on very steep, long grades in the mountains (a bit over 1100*).

My mileage was very good, in my opinion. The best I've ever gotten, towing. All hand calculated, also. The highest was 16.872 between Bakersfield, CA. & Ripon, CA. on Hwy. 99. This area is flat as a pool table & I was in line with a bunch of 18-wheelers. Also, in CA. the speed limit, towing, is 55 mph. which, seems to be enforced. So, we were doing a bit over 55 mph & I was picking up a draft from the Big Trucks. Never got too close to the truck in front of me, for safety reasons.

The next best was 16.032, here in AZ. Also, very flat & driving about 62 mph.

I got a 15.909 & a 15.282, also. The rest were in the 13's, 11's & a low of 10.223mph.

The best I ever got towing a smaller (19' trailer with my '91.5 W-250/Cummins) was in the 15's & that was in the panhandle of TX. (very flat) & driving slowly.

I kept my speeds in the 62-65 range outside of CA. & I feel driving slowly makes a difference.

Regarding the Smarty JR., I really don't know if it makes a difference in fuel mileage but, my best guess is that it does since I never got mileage reports in this range before. I don't get much over 17-18 in town & NOT towing but, on the Performance setting. I don't "hot rod" it much, either.

Needless to say, I'M HAPPY!!!!!

Joe F.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned

I didn't know if the jr was better than the s-o6 for mpg.Maybe the jr revo will be better yet, although I hear the pod is the ticket, but how do you tow heavy with 180 hp?
I guess it would be like the 1st gen trucks.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:14 PM

I updated my Jr. with the new software from Mads and the smoke has gone down dramatically and I did not even select any of the low smoke options - just the normal #2, which I used every day. I will be towing this weekend and can give you an update with the new software. Prior to the new sotware I did get better mileage with the Jr. than without.