Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Slide-In Camper - how to tie it down.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slide-In Camper - how to tie it down.....

Happy 4th everyone! I just snagged a deal on a slide-in for my 2500 pick-up. Was just looking around on the internet and I found a Lance 700 (1988) on Craigs List and couldn't pass it up. There is a few issues but nothing major and am told the (AC, Heat, Toilet, 3 way cooler) all work.

Here's the issue, I need to be able to get it tied down and wired and need some advice as to the best method to do this (i.e. what tie downs to buy and what pigtail to buy or make). I will be searching the internet and trying to find out what I need but really respect all the folks on here and look forward to your suggestions and responses.

I will post pictures after I get-r-home. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bar/2475662027.html

It needs a great cleaning and a little work but am super excited.....
Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I prefer the Happijac framemount system I've got over the Torklift setups out there. They use a centering guide system up front which keeps the camper planted in the same spot. No front shift.

If you've got a tow package and seven-pin plug,you can plug into that. The 8.6'+ campers usually have a pigtail coming off the rear. If it's a side mount,long cords are sold enabling you to use the tow hitch plug.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put the Torklift system on mine, and couldn't be happier. I have TRIED to get that thing to loosen up shift or whatever, and it's not going anywhere. I got it thru Tweety's. In the pic, I hooked up the boat to see exactly how much hitch extension I needed. I have a bed mounted 7 way receptical, and use an extension from the bumper to the bed plug for lights, etc. Good luck with the new toy!
Name:  100_6138.jpg
Views: 2538
Size:  125.4 KB
Old 07-03-2011, 11:34 PM

I've had the torklift on my '06 for 3 years and like it a LOT. I also bought a set of their fastguns. I've never had the camper move, but I also have a bed mat.

I also have the superhitch and supertruss extension. I've had no issues with it, and highly reccomend the tie downs and the hitch. They are actually designed to work together for the rear tie downs.

I particularly like the fact it ties directly to the frame.

Tony
Old 07-04-2011, 12:04 AM

Not to hyjack, but what hapijack frame mount are you using? When I had my anchor mounts done in '05 they told me there wasn't a system like that for a 3rd gen dodge. The system I have now has no locating system in the bed, & I have to use chains to connect to the frame mounts.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwheels94
Not to hyjack, but what hapijack frame mount are you using? When I had my anchor mounts done in '05 they told me there wasn't a system like that for a 3rd gen dodge. The system I have now has no locating system in the bed, & I have to use chains to connect to the frame mounts.
Get on their website. It'll show their frame mounted setup. I had just the ears on my '98.5 and the Northstar would move some. This setup worked well for 33 Baja trips. The camper would move a bit,however, with this setup. Their framemount setup includes a stabilizer bar with two centering cones that hug the camper front. This truck sees dirt roads and my friend sold his Torklift system and traded for a Happijac one as his Outfitter would move with the Torklift offroading. The Torklift's a great setup,but his camper would drift to one side with it. Rear guides are sold also but they require drilling into the bed. Those Fastgun turnbuckles are a winner,but my camper stays on 24/7,so minimal benefit for spending all that money.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If your plug in is a side mount there is a plug and play kit to add an in box 7 way receptacle. I still ran a separate power supply that only comes on when the engine is running. I used the power from fuel pump to energize a solenoid.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the responses - nice rig and boat esorensen. I decided to go with the torkflex and really hope I don't run into problems with the camper and the wiring.

I am putting a 6-way female in the bed and hope the camper is wired correctly. As a precaution since I don't want to chase down issues when I pick it up (tomorrow or Saturday), I got a set of those magnetic tow lights that plug into a 4-prong trailer and will use them to get home.

I will probably be asking a lot more questions since this is my first camper and first slide-in but am looking forward to some of the comforts this will provide. Going with the used one lets us try out the whole thing before spending big bucks on a new one...

Anyway - pictures will be forthcoming once we get it home.

If anyone has an owners manual for a 1988 Lance (model 700 or 780 I think), let me know as I definitely need one so I can figure out the mechanicals and how this rig works.

Thanks, Dave
Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 AM

I have no direct experience with Lance, but have seen it posted on RV.net that Lance uses a different plug configuration than standard.
My 2 campers have used the standard 7-way plug, identical to the plug at your bumper.
Good Luck and Congrats.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 AM

I read that - The Lance I am getting has the standard 6 pin adapter. I don't know if that means someone else placed it on there or what. That is why I am bringing the magnetic trailer lights too.

I will need to find out what wire does what on the camper side somehow. I swear I saw it on-line but for whatever reason - didn't bookmark the site or page. Can't seem to find it again.... Will search RV.net for it.

Thanks