Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Setting your Dodge up for Air brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Setting your Dodge up for Air brakes

Well folks, winters set in and it feels like I need to start a new project I've been thinking about for a while.<br><br>I want to build a trailer to attach a Tender box to.<br>As in to deliver bulk dry fertilizer in as well as perhaps hauling grain in.<br><br>I'm thinking of building the trailer so that a regular Tender box will fit it that is usually bolted to the frame of a tandem truck. (usually plow trucks sitting idle in the off season get used)<br><br>Part of my concern is building the trailer high enough so the auger will reach into Air flow units and such. With this much height I'm thinking axels off a wrecked highway trailer would be excellent. (I know a good source who often wrecks retired trailers, so they can probably be had cheaply) Of course these axels have air brakes on them. I'm wondering if any of you guys have devised systems to use air braked trailers with your trucks??<br><br>Second of all, there is the weight issue...........<br><br>I know we've gone over it all before but, how much weight do you all think we can draw with these trucks. I'm thinking of outfiting a 3500 DRW 4x4 12 Valve for the job, as much BOMBing as I can get before EGT get too high. I'll add an exhaust brake and perhaps a two speed differential??? anyone use a splitter on their truck. I've never driven a pickup with a two speed.<br><br>Most loads would probably be about 10 Tonnes. plus the weight of trailer and box. Box probably will weigh around 1 tonne. <br><br>What do you all think???
Old 01-03-2003, 05:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re:Setting your Dodge up for Air brakes

As far as they weight you are talking about, you don't need to make any modifications to the truck to pull that. It should pull that fine, at least a later 12v or a 24v.<br>As far as the rear, well split-shifting with a 2 speed rear is OK, for about the first ten minutes of shifting, then it gets to be a hassle and you'll only do it when absolutely necessary, which, with your load you will probably be never.<br>Will you be pulling this on the road or is this for field use? <br>I don't know about the air brakes deal though. <br><br>Chris
Old 01-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be carefull with air brakes on the trailer if its new build you mite have to comply with ABS standards...I believe all air brakes fall under DOT and you would need a CDL...but since Iam too lazy to look it up now in the rules and reg's ??
Old 01-03-2003, 06:37 PM

Air brakes require an endorsement which would probably meen commercial and with the weight of your load you will be over 26k this includes hauling vehicle. Now you need a class A and then you will get to deal with DOT unless its strictly farm use. I think there are exception for farm equipment. Never seen anyone with air brakes on a pick up. seems exspensive to rig up . Good luck and happy hunting
Old 01-04-2003, 04:28 PM

The trailer would be for highway use mainly. (delivering fertilizer)<br>I allready have a class &quot;AZ&quot; commercial airbrake endorsed licence.<br>I'd try and run farmplates on the truck if I could get away with it.<br>As for the ABS, I'm not sure that is law in Ontario.??? something to look into.<br><br>I think the splitter would definitely be a benefit with lots of the hills around here.<br>How much weight do you think we could realistically pull every day??<br>
Old 01-04-2003, 05:39 PM

[quote author=tool link=board=11;threadid=9158;start=0#88355 date=1041719287]<br><br>I think the splitter would definitely be a benefit with lots of the hills around here.<br>How much weight do you think we could realistically pull every day??<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Around 30,000 to 35,000 you run out of axle capacity to gain an optimal weight distribution. The engine will pull more but it would take some major mods to do that. Later i will end up with a stronger rear half frame and a heavier axle but will not go much over that.<br><br>In the states the DOT law is that the brakes have to have a single pedal control that applies both truck and trailer brakes. I would guess that some meticulous designing could come up with some linkage that would do that and I have considered it. Air on our trucks is easy, just use the compressor that is stock for the larger vehicles with the Cummins. Like he said, the brakes on a new vehicle have to have ABS control, real expensive. Another way is to use an older trailer and just mod the thing. I have looked and have not found any hydraulic over air valve to do that bolt on. A rod from the brake pedal along with some bell cranks could operate the air valve to control the trailer. One other possibility is an air booster. On a ford 7000 I still have I installed a military air over hydraulic booster which has the ports for the trailer air, but it is only single line. You might find a similar booster from a later model with dual lines. It works great on the ford.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:55 PM

There is a guy on the TDR who is in Europe. I think it is John McEntire? He had to adapt air brakes to his truck for the trailer he pulls over there. He said thaat it was quite a job but the parts are available. I think may-be Bendix has a controller that is hydraulic controlled. It is much simpler to go the other way I have done lots of those.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Chapter President

Having worked with air brakes most of my life...this seems like a big waste of money trying to get it to work safely<br><br>I would contact a trailer builder about this<br><br>http://www.take3trailers.com/index_files/page0009.htm
Old 01-05-2003, 10:44 PM

Perhaps I could convert the airbrake axels to electric or vacuum/hydraulic??? Did a vacuum over hydraulic to air/hydraulic once. That was a piece of cake and they worked much better. I was hoping for a superior braking system though [undecided] ie. air.<br><br>Or I could just buy some new, big axels with electric brakes on them I guess. <br><br>I don't know. maybe I should just buy another tandem straight truck??? I was hoping to use a Dodge though.h
Old 01-06-2003, 09:04 AM

My father has a 96 3500 chassis cab with a ctd and 5 speed. We bought it used from a local grain trailer maufacturer. It was used to deliver new 42-48 foot Jetco trailers, so it has analuminum flatbed, a fifthwheel plate and air brakes.<br><br> We paid $8K for it, it had about 300K miles on the frame and engine, and had about 5K miles on the tranny. Unfortunatly the truck is about 700 miles from me, but I will try and get pictures of the airbrake setup when I go home in march. <br><br>I know that it has a large electric pump, a 5 gallon tank, and a pressure gauge and air controller in the cab, however I do not know how it is all set up to work. We pull a 36 foot gooseneck trailer with air brakes, and it works great.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:26 AM

Thanks Iron Horse!<br><br>I knew someone must have rigged up a setup like that. I wondered about an electric compressor as well.<br><br><br>We had a brand new '99 f450 <br>and couldn't find a good vacuum source for the vacuum over hydraulic brakes we had on a 40' stock trailer. So we rigged up an old Surge milker pump and a vacuum tank with a large 12V motor. It worked beautifully.<br><br>Sold that truck and bought a Freightliner. 8)
Old 01-07-2003, 02:44 AM

Tool,<br><br>wabco is making a system over here that does just what you need.<br>The system has a compressor, tank, valves and a deal like the brake controller sensors on your brake pedal for electric brakes. Works with ABS systems.<br>I am not sure if the connections between truck and <br>trailor are the same standard Europe and US, I can find out, though.<br>I also don't know if you need it certified regarding dot and other agencies.<br><br>If you need info on it, let me know.<br>rob
Old 01-08-2003, 01:56 PM

That sounds really interesting thanks.<br><br>I wonder if that company is online??<br><br>Someone here must make a similar system???<br><br>I don't think the ABS will be a problem, I'll just use a scrapped trailer and it's ownership.<br>
Old 01-10-2003, 07:58 AM

Wabco aftermarket airbrakes

tool, the respective document is at:<br><br>http://www.wabco.info/intl/pdf/815/000/068/815_068.pdf<br><br>sorry its only available in german.<br><br>Wabco is online in english, at<br><br>http://www.wabco-auto.com/intl/en/<br><br>hth, rob