3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smarty jr (what is your setting?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty jr (what is your setting?)

Just seeing all the different settings everyone is running, feel free to chime in! I'm tryin sw2 tq2 tm2 still have a little slip in 5th gear wanna I hammer down;(
Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
See sig. I also have the latest update of 5.14B

My clutch slips on SW3 badly and if I go "Easy" on SW2 I can manage it. A new SB clutch is in my very near future!!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:18 PM

Same...settings are in my sig.
The truck (more importantly the stocker tranny) holds SW2 well, especially if I "roll into" the throttle rather than just stomping on it. My experience has proven that trying to run SW3 is a complete waste of time. With the stock 48RE, the additional power provided by SW3 is a mute point when you can't get anything to the ground!

Hence, complete tranny rebuild is in the "near" future. At that point I plan to run SW3 (same TQ & TM settings) on the reg!

Later...
Old 09-06-2012, 10:05 PM

I am running sw3 tq default and tm 3 POD 99. I drive it nice via the stock tranny, as mentioned previously it will be upgraded soon! but, I have found my best milleage running at this setting so far. got 1.5mpg better than anything I ran in SW2. BUT, every truck is different. In the papers that come in the box, the truck MADS tried the Smarty out on got the best milleage running sw3, pod 60, and the other settings I don't remember.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by hot_runner58
I am running sw3 tq default and tm 3 POD 99. I drive it nice via the stock tranny, as mentioned previously it will be upgraded soon! but, I have found my best milleage running at this setting so far. got 1.5mpg better than anything I ran in SW2. BUT, every truck is different. In the papers that come in the box, the truck MADS tried the Smarty out on got the best milleage running sw3, pod 60, and the other settings I don't remember.
I also get my best MPG on SW3 but i can't keep my foot out of it and my clutch hates it so to save my wallet some grief I run SW2
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 PM

ok ive got a 06 mega cab that is all stock with 45k on it. I want mileage. So my question is you all talk about the settings. Is this Smarty box jr the box to use to get good mileage? there's so many chips out there? Dont know what to buy.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by hulmule
ok ive got a 06 mega cab that is all stock with 45k on it. I want mileage. So my question is you all talk about the settings. Is this Smarty box jr the box to use to get good mileage? there's so many chips out there? Dont know what to buy.
Yes!

The Smarty products are programmers that change the factory settings in the ECM (while keeping the factory settings saved!) to do what the factory should do from the beginning!! Doing a search here for smarty will answer more questions that you knew you even had!!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:30 PM

hulmule,

To echo my boy Rockcrawler...Yes, the Smarty JR (in my humble opinion) is the answer your looing for with respect to:
fuel economy, driveability, and or "safe" additional power without making any other mods to your truck (outside of gauges...but, I feel that even a stock truck should at least have gauges to monitor EGTs, boost, tranny temps)

In short, unless you are looking for a more aggresive tuner for racing, pulling, etc...I don't think your going to do better than the Smarty Jr from a performance and customer service standpoint.

Good luck with your decision...and "if" you do decide to go with the Jr you will find more than enough support/suggestions here!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by cstewart
hulmule,

To echo my boy Rockcrawler...Yes, the Smarty JR (in my humble opinion) is the answer your looing for with respect to:
fuel economy, driveability, and or "safe" additional power without making any other mods to your truck (outside of gauges...but, I feel that even a stock truck should at least have gauges to monitor EGTs, boost, tranny temps)

In short, unless you are looking for a more aggresive tuner for racing, pulling, etc...I don't think your going to do better than the Smarty Jr from a performance and customer service standpoint.

Good luck with your decision...and "if" you do decide to go with the Jr you will find more than enough support/suggestions here!
as mentioned above, when refrencing pulling, I believe he is talking aggressive pulling, tractor pulls, etc. If i'm wrong chime in. I use the smarty jr for pulling anywhere from 4k-21k behind me and it works great. The chip, if you read around, if tuned right will help keep your egt's down, which of course is good for towing. No complaints on power or egt's on my end with it.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hot_runner58
as mentioned above, when refrencing pulling, I believe he is talking aggressive pulling, tractor pulls, etc. If i'm wrong chime in. I use the smarty jr for pulling anywhere from 4k-21k behind me and it works great. The chip, if you read around, if tuned right will help keep your egt's down, which of course is good for towing. No complaints on power or egt's on my end with it.
Yes...my bad. When I mentioned "pulling", I was referring to competition sled pulling and such.
hot_runner is absolutely correct. The Smarty is extremely helpful in keeping EGTs at bay when towing.
Thanks for clarifying!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 PM

SW3, everything else is at default. I just installed it this evening and drove it around the block. Not too sure what I think about it yet.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change settings question

My buddy set mine up on SW2 TM2 POD on 65 if I want to go to 3 do I have to go back to stock and reprogram back to SW3 & TM3???? I want to see if the mileage will improve some over the SW2 TM2 settings got a 700 mile pull to Drag boat races this weekend pulling the raceboat...
Old 09-18-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by RiverRat2
My buddy set mine up on SW2 TM2 POD on 65 if I want to go to 3 do I have to go back to stock and reprogram back to SW3 & TM3???? I want to see if the mileage will improve some over the SW2 TM2 settings got a 700 mile pull to Drag boat races this weekend pulling the raceboat...
No.
You can just input the new setting you want and then update it! Just changing the settings will not do anything. make sure it goes through the whole 5 min or so update.

Also, do you have the most up to date software? Should be 5.14B when you first plug in the Smarty. If not, you should update that first. It is a much better version IMO! Just an FYI, you can update that without taking your truck back to stock.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
No.
You can just input the new setting you want and then update it! Just changing the settings will not do anything. make sure it goes through the whole 5 min or so update.

Also, do you have the most up to date software? Should be 5.14B when you first plug in the Smarty. If not, you should update that first. It is a much better version IMO! Just an FYI, you can update that without taking your truck back to stock.
Yeah thanks for the reply he showed me how to do it,, Like you said,,, I had to wait for it to update... I'm Not sure what version the software is Iwill look tomorrow, I gained about 1.3MPG from 14MPG to 15.3MPG hand calculated around town/highway mixed On the Sw2/tq2 settings with POD on 60 driving like a grandpa!!!!

BTW, can I just Plug the Smarty into my laptop and see what software version I'm running???
Old 09-19-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by RiverRat2
Yeah thanks for the reply he showed me how to do it,, Like you said,,, I had to wait for it to update... I'm Not sure what version the software is Iwill look tomorrow, I gained about 1.3MPG from 14MPG to 15.3MPG hand calculated around town/highway mixed On the Sw2/tq2 settings with POD on 60 driving like a grandpa!!!!

BTW, can I just Plug the Smarty into my laptop and see what software version I'm running???
Not sure about plugging it in to your computer for this info, but you can easily plug it in to your truck and check the version. Quickly after you plug it in, it will flash the version you are running....this happens only quickly as a "flash" and then rolls to the menu options.
And Yes, I agree, the newest version is much better...smoother/ even power through the throttle, less smoke (not completely gone, but better).
Have a good one..

Quick Reply: Smarty jr (what is your setting?)