Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Riding in camper

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riding in camper

??? I know in some states people are allowed to ride in a 5TH wheel camper being towed as long as they have some type of comunication with the tow vehicle.<br> Does anybody know just which states this is, I know Pa. is one of them.<br> Thanks for any help Bob
Old 03-08-2003, 06:11 AM
Chapter President

Re:Riding in camper

Theres not many states that allow it....heres a list of towing laws<br><br>http://www.freetrip.com/rules_fr1.html
Old 03-08-2003, 08:27 AM

Its lgal here in MB as long as theres a &quot;live&quot; intercom between the trailer and hauler. (fivers only) But I must say that if I hated someone enough to let them ride in my 5ver, I wouldn't let them into my 5ver in the first place. Have you seen what they're built out of? Light aluminum or f'glass over 2x2 studs. Zero strength in a rollover or a t-bone hit. There will be nothing left of the trailer or its contents. Human or otherwise. Had the wind tip one ont the way down a hill here in July. Put the truck back on its wheeels and it was drivable, the trailer was kindling on a frame. My kids think its a great thrill to ride from the camp office to the site or from the site to the sewage dump, but thats the extent of anyone riding in the trailer in this place. Plus its rough and bouncy and you have no idea where you're going. It has been known to ccause anxiety and nausea. Just my .02. Rick
Old 03-08-2003, 02:25 PM

Does it really matter if it is legal? It's got to be one of the stupidest thing I ever heard of. Why would you allow anyone to ride in it?
Old 03-08-2003, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is also against DOT regs so if you are commercial forget it.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Chapter President

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=11;threadid=11962;start=0#113298 date=1047155191]<br>It is also against DOT regs so if you are commercial forget it.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thats the one that really burns my butt.....Iam commercial and one of my trailers is a 53 ft enclosed hauler with a 8 ft plus overhang living quaters.....and Dot says I cant log bunk time in it....bummer ??? so I just stopped using that trailer for commercial hauling
Old 03-08-2003, 05:38 PM

Haulin in Dixie For comercial it is not Ilegal I hauled race horses all over the USA an canada for a horse transportation co. an there were the Grooms that rode in the trailer with the horses every time. Even had cops look in at the horses just to see them an not a one ever said it was not legal for them to ride there. so I think you better check into it a little closer.<br> An did any of you ever ride in a 5th wheel going down the road, it rides pretty nice, like they say don't knock it till you try it.<br> Bob ;D
Old 03-09-2003, 02:26 PM

Deezilla hate to disagree but in Alberta it is illegal to tranport or allow anyone to ride in any vehicle which is not part of the OEM engineered passenger area equipped with compliant restraint devices (only certain seats in motorhomes can be used). It is also illegal to have passengers in any trailing equipment, pickup box or vehicle that does does not meet restraint specifications on public roadways (covered under the Highway Traffic Act as per the Seatbelt law). So basically any Province or State with a seatbelt law unless a specified exemption can be produced either in the law or by doctors note all passengers will have to be properly seated and restrained. Ie; Alberta allows riders on transport coaches to be exempt but must have seat belts available,#2 school buses are also exempt but this is under review for obvious reasons. PK
Old 03-09-2003, 02:36 PM

I didn't say it was fair, nor right, but it is the law in the US. I never had that problem, they look at you funny in a rest area sleeping on a flat bed ;D
Old 03-09-2003, 03:34 PM

[quote author=Deezilla link=board=11;threadid=11962;start=0#113343 date=1047166731]<br> Haulin in Dixie For comercial it is not Ilegal I hauled race horses all over the USA an canada for a horse transportation co. an there were the Grooms that rode in the trailer with the horses every time. Even had cops look in at the horses just to see them an not a one ever said it was not legal for them to ride there. so I think you better check into it a little closer.<br> An did any of you ever ride in a 5th wheel going down the road, it rides pretty nice, like they say don't knock it till you try it.<br> Bob ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>Naw its about five bucks for a DOT manual at any truck stop. The green book. Maybe you better read it.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:50 PM

I personally wouldn't put a living thing in a 5ver under tow, not even a living plant! Have you ever seen an accident involving a TT or 5ver? Looks like a pile of kindling.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:46 PM

This really shouldn't be a topic of issue as the most precious un-replacable cargo we haul does not have a specific monetary value until we place it above material possessions. For those who legally cant make those decisions-children especially-whether local law says it is okay or not I would question the persons values who allows this to happen. The unsafe variables in todays driving situations should make Due Diligence the top priority in safety towards our family and others. PK
Old 03-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Chapter President

Usefull link if you pull an RV<br><br>http://www.rvadvice.com/rvtowlaw.html
Old 03-11-2003, 06:31 AM

I did ride in an Airstream once. I herniated a lumbar disk :'( and couldn't sit up, so used the bed on the way home . Road well. ;D<br><br>Here is one other experience with the quality of the ride of a 34ft triple axle Airstream. Drove from Flagstaff, Arizona to Sedona. This is downhill, lots of ups and downs and around corners. When I got to Sedona, I went into bedroom and there was a full glass of water on the bedside table. Not a drop had spilled. <br><br>Great trailer.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:14 AM

Used to pull a 44' 4Star Cattle trailer with a small front living quarter in it all over the continnent.<br>One time coming back from Denver, I'd been driving for hours, traded off and was in the top bunk up over the hitch asleep. I woke up thinking I was in the south of Detroit somewhere but actually we'd allready crossed the border with me asleep back there! <br><br>don't imagine they reccomend that.<br>

Quick Reply: Riding in camper