Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Questions on what truck to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on what truck to look for?

Hey guys, well I am looking at getting a different truck in the next year to year and a half. I know it is a big range but I want to do some looking and get as much information as possible. Ok so here is the question I know I want a 2003-2005 Dodge 2500 CTD 4*4 crew cab with the 6 speed. But the big question do I need a long box or will a short box work. I will be pulling a 20' to 22' gooseneck cattle trailer, not a lot in the winter because of school but a quite a bit in the summer. I know the crew cab long box is a big truck my dad has a GMC ext cab long box and I really dont mind the length. So what do you think would be better the long box or the short box? The farmer I work for has a F-250 diesel long box, so is a long box the way to go when pulling a gooseneck. Thanks for all of your advice and thanks in advance.

Steve (HankL)
Old 02-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Chapter President

I have seen lots of short beds pulling goosenecks, but it depends on what the shape of the front of the trailer is like, if it is as wide as the bed then you do not want a short bed. Long bed is a safe bet, but the short bed will allow you to maneuver better with (if you have a narrow gooseneck, like most flatbeds and canvass covered stock trailers) and without a trailer. If you get a chance, try driving the 2 with a trailer hooked up. I never have pulled with a short bed, but I had a single cab that had a cowboy camper on it (one of those you have a place to throw jackets and the like but still be able to pull a gooseneck), with a trailer as wide as the bed I had to be really careful not to turn sharp (I shattered the back window one time backing up), I want to find me a second truck and set it up like that one, but with LOTS more power. In theory a short bed for pulling should be more aerodynamically efficient.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 PM
DTR question asker

The one thing that you will gain from the longbed is that the truck will ride a little bith smoother.

But a SB is really nice for driving in tight spaces... I've always driven a long bed though so I couldn't tell you the difference.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 PM

Hey thanks guys I have experience pulling gooseneck cattle trailers like I said before the farmer I work for has a regular cab long box F-250, I was just curious if the short bed was just as good. The trailer is just as wide as the truck bed is (the deck has little flares back so it isnt perfectly square but not by much). Thanks again for the information guys.

Steve (HankL)