Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Private hauling

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Private hauling

Wondering if you guys could shed some light on this. To start I am looking into buying a 96 dodge 3500 dump with a 24-25 foot deckover trailer. I mainly haul my own equipment/ toys around town or to camp for a weekend. Ocasionally I do haul some stuff for friends usually their 4x4 trucks to camp for a weekend and once or twice a year I will head from NH to NC with the trailer loaded with a car or vending machines for a friend when I go down to visit. Usually my only reguirment when I haul things for them is that they cover tolls/ gas. I am worried that with a bigger truck (1 ton and 14k trailer) That I will get hasseled alot for the staties/ dot. Even though I am not hauling my stuff I am not making any money doing it is it still considered private hauling or should I look into getting US DOT numbers since I will be crossing state lines? The reason I am tentative about getting the DOT numbers is that I dont want to have to stop at weigh stations and have to get the 750k worth of insurance that I have read about (not sure if its truley needed).
Sorry for the long post but just trying to make sure its worth getting the bigger truck and trailer or staying a little smaller and out of the long arm of the law
Thanks
Evan
Old 04-23-2007, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do the same thing, and with almost exactly the same equipment.

I have talked to DOT here in VA about it. I was moving a truck for a friend of mine, and specifically asked them if him paying for the food/fuel costs was considered commercial, and they said no. They told me as long as I am not making a profit, I am legal. Reimbursement for fuel & food costs during the trip (even hotel costs) are not considered 'profit'.

I did take the advice of one agent, and had some magnetic signs made that I put on the truck when I am hauling.

They read "Not For Hire - Personal Use Only"

I have driven thru 12 states loaded this way hauling stuff for either myself or friends, and haven't been stopped or hassled. Probably close to 10,000 miles total. The only 'profit' was form a freind who gave me money for a hotel, but ended up not needing it, and he told me to keep the money. A whopping 75 bucks.

I too looked into getting a cdl & dot numbers, but DOT told me it was not needed for what I am doing.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the info that was the exact advise I was looking for. I like the idea of "not for hire" on the side. I think it might have to get that painted on the side of the trailer.
Evan
Old 04-23-2007, 11:33 AM

TRCM has it right, and we've both been going back and forth on the legal weight forum post ! My signs say "Private, not for hire, not commercial, not in commerce"...I would have added "none of your business and leave me alone" but I ran out of door space. However....document, document, document - keep receipts, have a copy of a bill of sale or title for your "toys" (I have a folder for mine - always have it in the truck). I also carry a copy of the Florida statutes (my home tagged state) with their (screwed up and contradictory) chapters with definitions of commercial, for hire, etc. But also understand that with a dump and an equipment trailer you "look" like you have a business enterprise. Also make sure you are correctly licensed (driver's license) as may be required due to weight, and correctly tagged and insured (private policy, yes...not a commercial policy ?). Have a fun ride !
Old 04-23-2007, 01:03 PM

thats kinda why I am worried. Its not unusual for me to take my john deere backhoe up to my camp for a weekend and I feel that it will draw alot more attention with a dump vs a regular truck. I wont be close to over weight as the tractor only weighs about 3500 but it would deffinitly look as if i were opperating a buisness.
Evan
Old 04-23-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by killed300ex
thats kinda why I am worried. Its not unusual for me to take my john deere backhoe up to my camp for a weekend and I feel that it will draw alot more attention with a dump vs a regular truck. I wont be close to over weight as the tractor only weighs about 3500 but it would deffinitly look as if i were opperating a buisness.
Evan
You'll be OK if the vehicles are registered/insured as in John Doe, not John Doe Excavating.