Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Oddest/Weirdest Thing You've Towed/Dragged

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oddest/Weirdest Thing You've Towed/Dragged

Just wondering here what is some of the stranger things you all have towed and/or dragged with your rigs. I have a big "butted" chain saw and all my friends are hitting me up to cut trees down etc. Some of these bad boys have been pretty darn big also!!!! Well, I have 100ft of rope that I use to put tension on the trees I'm dropping and on more than one occasion I've used my truck to put "tension" on some really big trees so that they fall where they need to!! I've also dragged some really big stump/root ***** (not out of the ground; but sitting on the ground) with all the dirt still on them. Some of these have been 6-8ft high and wide and deep!!! Don't know what they weighed, but the Cummins in 4Low didn't even grunt!! I also pulled a pop-up camper trailer out that had sunk to the axles during the spring thaw. On that one we dug some channels in front of the tires so I wasn't pulling through so much earth and we hooked up the chains. I could only get to within about 20 ft of the trailer because of the soft ground. Snugged the chain, spun the wheels a bit and out she came with a bunch of sod with it!!! Let's hear some of these strange stories!!
Old 11-23-2005, 08:08 PM

Nothing weird like that but had to tow our spray unit, ( hardy forgot the model # but its capacity is about 500+gallons) and had a good time loading it onto our trailer. Had to drop the trailer, chalk the tires and lift the tongue to get the angle lower, and then dragged the 3500lb spray unit on the trailer. Driving down the road at 50-65mph the fan was spinning really hard creating all kinds of noises. SOunded like a ceiling fan on steroids.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:18 PM

50' pine tree........ the whole thing...... climbed up the tree, hooked it up on a 150' cable and pulled it over
Old 11-23-2005, 08:24 PM

took my 91 dually to los angeles one night about 9 years ago with a 10 ton gn. got down there and pulled a freightliner cabover tractor up on trailer with a 3 ton come-a-long. chain type not one of those cheap things from advance. 2 hours later tractor loaded chain bindered and we are off. ran up 18 138 to i-15 in victorville and headed north to vegas. after 5.5 hours im sitting downtown vegas with this load. the stares from the stroker guys and chevy guys were worth money. especially when im beating them up hills. the old girl was wrecked 2 1/2 years ago but i have 92 now.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:35 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not "odd or weird", but I towed this to our shop back in the spring. I was a little uneasy as it was over $14,000 worth of equipment, but it went well.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:35 PM

Just towed a 4 stall bathroom / shower trailer back from Biloxi, MS. Worked down there for 55 days with 50 other guys repairing storm damaged homes.
We all agreed that the shower trailer/ bathroom was the most important tool we took with us !! I d rather be clean and hungry than dirty and fed,sorry....
evetbody thought it was a wird unit when we showed them what it was while fueling up.....
Old 11-23-2005, 08:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
During an ice storm here a few years ago I was towing whole trees, HUGE trees that would touch mail boxes on both sides of the road to a local dumping place. The ol Cummins was very impressive and other folks were too. We got alot of work done that week.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:47 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Ford Ranger 4x4 regular cab long wheel base.....

Looked kinda hokey because I had to sit it on the back of the trailer to get the weight right for my Nissan Fronty...
Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 PM

Talking

6 person hot tub on a snowmobile trailer behind a Dodge Neon.

All the way from SanDiego Ca to Cheyenne Wy. It did pretty well and averaged 22.6 mpg for the trip (out with the empty trailer and back with the trailer and hot tub). 5th gear empty trailer and no better than 4th loaded.

At the time I had a gasser crew cab dually (9 mpg empty) and my buddy just put a killer stereo in his neon. We were going to take my dually but he talked me into the neon and snowmobile trailer thing. It was a blast! worked great and we had a good time on the road trip (not to mention the Vegas stop over).
Old 11-23-2005, 09:37 PM

i wood chipper with one of those ford 300 motors in it...be i towed it running from one site to another site....it wouldnt start a secod time so once we had her started we just let her idle, closed the gate and towed her to the other side of town......people looked horrified as i was towing amachine that was still running
Old 11-23-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most embarrasing

a trailer full of portapotties.... and whats worse, the hottest girl in laredo was next to me in traffic.... DANG IT!!! oddest thing ive towed or yanked? I would say the disk harrow at the arena i rope at when the tractor broke down, and a couple of tree stumps..

Tx
Old 11-23-2005, 10:20 PM

A 200lb hog. I was running late that morning to our deer lease and didn't go by the camp to get my Bronco so I just went to my stand in my truck. I shot the hog and there was not going to be anyone else there until noon that day so I tied a tow strap around the hog and pulled back to camp so I could winch it up and clean it. Sounds weird but that is what happened.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 PM

no weird towed things, but I have moved a fully loaded 40 yard rolloff. Just moved it out of the way but man was that thing heavy
Old 11-24-2005, 12:06 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last Saturday I pulled our ford 9000 dump truck along with its trailer with about 5 ton of hay out of the soft mud infront of the hay barn were it was stuck four low and first gear i hardley worked the truck a little spinning tell i got down to good dirt
Old 11-24-2005, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pulled out a Pete 18 wheel hydraulic dump bed with my 98 1500 dodge gasser! True story (have witnesses)

Scenario:
Pete with driver pulls up red clay hill and dumps cobble stones behind his rig. Pete without weight on rear wheels cannot obtain enough traction to climb hill and digs rear 8 wheels into red clay,(1'deep).

I show up on job and dig rear wheels free of ruts and hook my dodge to front tow hook on Pete via 30k snatchem strap and dual tow hooks on my rig.
I put my rig in reverse 4 lo and nothing, 2nd try was equally uneventful, 3rd try I stood on the gas and almost got my rear wheels off the ground, but I got the Pete free to drive up the red clay hill on the construction site.

Rick

Quick Reply: Oddest/Weirdest Thing You've Towed/Dragged