Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

New Jacob exhaust brakes: $265, $525...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Jacob exhaust brakes: $265, $525...

OK, guys... here is a Christmas present from Superduty.

This place sells new Jacobs exhaust brakes for Cummins engines.

http://www.ronthebusnut.com/browseDisp_265.html

They are NOT identical to the factory exhaust brakes you get from Dodge, but they are pretty close. They are a universal exhaust brake. They come with a V flange like what is on the end of the 3rd gen stock turbo elbow where it connects with the downpipe and 2 pipe sleeves that can be welded into a piece of pipe.

These exhaust brakes will NOT go right onto the turbo where the turbo elbow goes on a 3rd gen. But if you wanted the exhaust brake in that area, you could either clamp it right to the turbo elbow itself OR cut the downpipe and splice it into it. Or you could pace it further down the exhaust system, which is what I plan to do.

All the joints upstream of the exhaust brake must be welded or clamped with a V clamp or they will blow apart.

These brakes are actuated by air pressure and include a switch and solenoid. On 3rd gens they can be wired into the ECM. I think the actuator could be reversed and operated by vacuum, but I haven't done it. I think the solenoid would work with vacuum, but I haven't done it. I am not promising it would work, only telling you it might be possible.

The text describing them on the website is a bit misleading. Although advertised for a Cummins C, that one is for a 4" exhaust like what is used on the 3rd gens. The Cummins B brakes are for 3.5" exhaust, IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY. So the Cummins C brake that was sent to me fits my 3rd gen. I think the Cummins B brake will fit 1st and 2nd gens, but I am not sure.

I have no affiliation with this company other than I bought a brake from them which I have not yet installed.

I bought one of the B series brakes and found it to be too small, so I returned it. They sent me a C series brake and it fits, ie it is the right size.

The brakes are new. They come in a Jacobs box. They aren't dirty or rusty. Or at least mine were not.

BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am just telling you about this. You are responsible for verifying everything to your satisfaction. These people are not prompt at returning emails, but were fine with phone calls.

I paid $500 for my brake in July. They were advertised for $525 at the time. Air mail is a good way to ship these things if you aren't in a hurry.

I didn't alert anyone privately on this deal because I didn't want to play favorites.

I think he said he had 50 or so in July. I have no idea how many he has now.

If you've ever called me an SOB or liar on this site, your order will be rejected. (Kidding...)

Let me/us know if these brakes work out for you.

Enjoy !
Old 01-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the one that fit my engine.

http://www.ronthebusnut.com/detailDisp_19964.html