Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

JACOB EXHAUST BRAKE ""RETRO KIT"" FOR AUTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JACOB EXHAUST BRAKE ""RETRO KIT"" FOR AUTO

I have contacted Jacob technician's about the warranty approved exhaust brake for the 2006 Dodge Auto.

I was told that unless """DODGE""" receives a lot of e mail, letters, phone calls, they have no intention of making a RETRO KIT for the older Dodge automatic's

I tow a 15,000# 5th wheel and there are a lot of us out there that could sure get a lot of use out of this warranty approved exhaust brake.

I would suggest that if enough of us contact www.Dodge.com and advise them, we would like to see a RETRO KIT for the older automatic's they might listen.

If they are not going to make a RETRO KIT, Dodge should at the very least give us anapproved AFTER MARKET exhaust brake!!!

HELP ME!!!!! THANKS JOHN H (aka Hemlockusa)
Old 01-20-2006, 09:22 PM

Banks & BD Power make Exhaust brakes for older models.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by SuperGewl
Banks & BD Power make Exhaust brakes for older models.
Thats correct, however they would void the warranty if installed on my 2005, thats what the dealer said. Must have one that is approved by Chrysler Dodge.. John H
Old 01-21-2006, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hemlockusa
I have contacted Jacob technician's about the warranty approved exhaust brake for the 2006 Dodge Auto.

I was told that unless """DODGE""" receives a lot of e mail, letters, phone calls, they have no intention of making a RETRO KIT for the older Dodge automatic's

I tow a 15,000# 5th wheel and there are a lot of us out there that could sure get a lot of use out of this warranty approved exhaust brake.

I would suggest that if enough of us contact www.Dodge.com and advise them, we would like to see a RETRO KIT for the older automatic's they might listen.

If they are not going to make a RETRO KIT, Dodge should at the very least give us anapproved AFTER MARKET exhaust brake!!!

HELP ME!!!!! THANKS JOHN H (aka Hemlockusa)

John have you looked at Cummins web page? They have an application for the 2004.5-2006 and later
(includes 2006 automatic transmissions) http://www.everytime.cummins.com/eve...am_braking.jsp

GW
Old 01-21-2006, 06:50 AM

Done.

Also, the Cummins web page is confusing, as I believe the referenced system is for manuals only, but includes the 2006 auto.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:26 AM

I think it's more of a tranny issue to Dodge. I called Cummins about installing one on my 05 & was told all Cummins motors are capable of handling an exhaust brake. Before I bought my truck, I called Dodge & asked about having one installed by the dealer. They told me they were aware & working on the issue but didn't have anything approved at that time. Then they came out with the 06 auto and it was approved for an exhaust brake. I called a local Dodge dealer & asked about the difference in motor or tranny. Same motor & the same tranny. The parts guy looked up the numbers for the tranny & they were the same for 05 & 06. The 06 had a different ECM than the 05 has. I didn't think to ask about the torque converter. I called Dodge again & they suggested I need an 06. What I heard was on you, we already have your $40.000. Pacbrake has a brake & an ECM bypass for the 05 trucks but Dodge hasn't approved it for warranty. So you might be right about flooding Dodge with e-mails & phone calls. They might approve it just so I will quit calling.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frank Hog
Done.

Also, the Cummins web page is confusing, as I believe the referenced system is for manuals only, but includes the 2006 auto.
I understand the '05 needs a flash for the E brake to be used, my son has one and has looked into it....
Old 01-21-2006, 06:23 PM

I called PacBrake this week and they said that their system for the 05 auto will not void the Dodge warranty. I guess I wasn't surprised to hear that reply. Dodge probably will tell you a different story, and they are the only one that counts.

Sigh.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:57 AM

So much for getting Dodge to understand. Here is their reply to my request:

My Request: Need exhaust brake system for 2005 CTD Ram automatic
Comments:
---------
Seems it is a vehicle flaw to have a truck intended to tow, but without any
factory approved device to provide engine braking. Please have Jacobs or
someone else provide a retrofit for this function. Thanks.

Their Response:

Dear Frank:

Thank you for contacting DaimlerChrysler concerning towing with your
2005 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Quad Cab.

We suggest that you contact the service and\or parts department of your
local Dodge dealership for assistance in this matter.

The Dodge dealerships have the factory training, equipment and
information available to them to diagnose and correct problems with
DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation vehicles. They can also advise you if
the vehicle is performing as it was designed to. Should your dealer
require factory assistance, it is available through the regional
Business Center.

If you have been working with an authorized dealership but the problem
is not yet resolved, seeking a second opinion from a different dealer
may be a viable option.

Thank you again for your email.

Sincerely,

Cynthia
Senior Staff Representative
DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center

NOTE: Please do not use the 'Reply' function of your email system. If
you have a need to respond to this message, please visit us at our reply
form (link provided below). Our system is NOT able to accept any emails
at this address.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:26 AM

Dodge Customer Relations No Help

Frank I got the same response from Dodge ,,, I then replyed and asked how they thought the little parts guy in Topeka Kansas could help with a retro fit on the exhaust brake for the older automatic's or my 2005... I again got the same responce.
I would think someone on this FORUM would have a secret number to talk to someone at DODGE about this.. Prehaps a thread monitor would have anumber.

It would be better if we got a HOME PHONE NUMBER,,, I am a senior and have a lot of trouble sleeping anyway, so a phone call at 2am to this DODGE OFFICIAL would not bother me a bit.
ANYONE HAVE A NUMBER, let this old man know

Thanks John H
Old 01-24-2006, 12:40 PM

If you can find a name & city of who you want to call let your fingers do the walking , if some one does not have a #.
But I guess the 1st thing is to figure who & where ?
And if there making many mutables of millions a year , then they are already getting paid O.T.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:55 AM

How are you guys emailing Dodge? When I get on their site and try to email them, after filling out their form and it asks to verify my email address, that is as far as I can get. Won't let me click on the verification and I can't send the email. Is there another address you are using to get to them?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by PZM123
How are you guys emailing Dodge? When I get on their site and try to email them, after filling out their form and it asks to verify my email address, that is as far as I can get. Won't let me click on the verification and I can't send the email. Is there another address you are using to get to them?
Hi PZM123 - go to www.dodge.com - click on customer assistance - next page on left click e mail us - next page just fill out form with eight VIN numbers your personal information and e mail address... you will get right in.. However after that point you will get a POLITE answer with no meat... It will tell you to complain to your local Parts Man?????? like that little guy is going to have the company make a RETRO KIT.. ha ha

It still would not hurt to e mail them or complaint, as they probably keep record. I contacted PACBRAKE who call me back saying their EXHAUST Brake has been approved???? however they did not nor could supply me any paperwork to that effect. There Exhaust brake costs over 1000.00 wireing wa 67.00 the torque converter lock out switch is supplied by a different company for about $580.00 I recall. sounds like a mis mash of parts.. because you do need that torque converter lock out to actually work properly.. I am taking these DODGE response's down to my local parts manager and SLAP THEM ON HIS DESK... start from the bottom I guess. ... Keep me posted everybody and get more DODGE AUTO's involved!!!!!!!

Later John
Old 01-26-2006, 04:11 PM

OK< Keeping you posted everyone... I made an appointment with My Dodge Dealers SErvice Manager and head transmission man. They had told me that they could install the Jacob Exhaust Brake on my 2005 Automatic and that they had already done one installation on a 2005 AUTO. HOWEVER the installation they were doing on the 2005 AUTO would not lock the torque converter and they both said for the price the exhaust brake would only work for seconds and not really worth the expense. I asked them about this after market Torque Converter lock up buttom, that would actually make the exhaust brake work and they told me that the after market torque lock buttom would not be approved for warranty!! The Service Manager called his regional manager and that manager told him that it was in the cummin's ECM and didn't involve the transmission at all the way it was set up to engage at 0 pedal and also the speed of the vehicle??????? They were trying to tell me that on the 2006 Automatic when the exhaust brake did engage it did not lock up the torque converter>?????? I know there has got to be some AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION EXPERTS on this forum that could get this stright.... If it doesn't lock up the torque converter on the 2006 itdoesn't seem like it would really hold back much??????? Whats your thoughts.. later JOhn
Old 01-26-2006, 04:42 PM

Just sent Dodge an email, may not do any good but...

Will post reply when it comes in.

Quick Reply: JACOB EXHAUST BRAKE ""RETRO KIT"" FOR AUTO