Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

New to the camper. Need input please

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the camper. Need input please

Hey everybody,, havent been on the board in a while. I need some input. Ive got an 02 qcab short bed 4x4..im needing a camper to put on my lake lot. If i get a fifth wheel, im gonna need a hitch. Can you even pull a fifth with a short bed? Whats the cheaper hitches to get ?? Im not gonna be using it but probably this time... Another question,,, i see alot of rebuild titles and bill of sale only campers here. Whats the deal on those?? Thanks alot fellas for pointing me in the right direction!!
Old 10-31-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Yes you can pull a fifth wheel with a short bed. If you currently have a turn over hitch for a goose neck you have numerous options to adapt to the 5er. Cheapest route and not recommended on new trailers is what's called a ranch adapter. Had a dealer tell me they will void the warranty, then you have the Anderson hitch, and bw makes a hitch all that use the turnover hitch. Or if you could get an actual fifth wheel hitch if you don't have the turn over.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:55 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Look at the Curt X5 It's a set of rails that drop into the hole in place of the gooseneck ball It's a very nice product. Plus, you can easily take the rails out and have a clean bed. If you've ever had installed rails, you would know what a pain they are when you don't need them. etralier dot com has them. I wouldn't convrt a 5'er to a gooseneck. The frames are not built for it and most will crack. Not really something you want to deal with on the side of the road. I have had two short bed trucks and pulled my 5'er with both. I had no problems at all. Was told in the beginning that I "HAD" to have a slider hitch. It was bull corn. Just about everyone I've ever taked to that had a slider said they never slid it back. It was more of a pain than anythng. Just like all trucks, long or short. You just have to know how far to the side you can cut it. With a long, you'll be able to cut it further. That's all.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:59 AM

I dont have anything yet. So should i stay away from the gooseneck to fiver conversion? Just go straight fifth wheel i guess?
Old 11-01-2015, 07:14 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
If you're not pulling it a lot the conversion is fine. Both my old trailer (was a 92) and current one (98 model) are adapted to gooseneck. I don't pull them a lot as I set up long term for work and only pull them if I change location. Haven't had any problems with cracking the frame. But as I said the adapter will void warranty on new trailers. With that said I probably wouldn't adapt a trailer much newer than a 98- 2000 though. Seems that the pin box isn't built quite as heavy after that.

With no current hitch. It would be cheaper I think just to get the rails and actual fiver hitch. Rather than buy and install the removable gooseneck hitch and the adapter of choice.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
To be honest if you are only going to put it on a lake lot then you need just a travel trailer.. all one level and more real living space, easier to heat and cool and quite a lot cheaper to buy plus you don't then need a 5ver or goose hitch at all.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I was thinking about saying what Busboy just said. There no sense to have the 5'er and rails to just pull it somewhere and it stays.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah that was kind if my thought. If it is going to be towed to a lakefront lot and not moved again, it might make sense to have someone deliver it.

As far as bill of sale only deals, they might be fine, but I think Oregon requires you to title and license- and to pay license fees from the time it was last licensed.

A salvage title would also make me leery. As long as it was repaired properly it might be fine.

With any type of RV, failure to keep the roof sealed or deal with plumbing leaks can cause mould, rot and seriously expensive damage. RV type fridges are also significantly expensive to repair if the cooling unit is bad.

Tires, brakes, wheel bearings will need to be good enough to get you to the property, I suppose.

If you are tall, I'd also make sure you don't have to stoop over in the shower. The bottom of the shower is often significantly above floor level.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:44 PM

Many thanks fellas!! I was thinking you would have more room with a fifth wheel camper.. If i find the right bumper trailer, that would be fine too.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:19 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Fifth wheel has superior towing characteristics, especially for large trailers. It has enough stability that in most states you can pull another trailer behind it legally.

For a lot of travel, fifth wheel is best.

For a trailer on a lot situation, most use bumper pull trailers, as they make more sense in the layout.

Large bumper pulls will have a 2 5/16" hitch on them and are known as "Park model" trailers. They need a 1 ton minimum to move. Usually the mobile home guys are hired to do it, but a CTD 1 ton can do the job. They aren't practical for travel.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah 5th wheels are generally more stable and handle better.

Issues would be, though, with your short box you may need a sliding hitch to be able to make a sharp turn without smashing the back of the cab. Also 5th wheels put around 20% of their weight on the hitch. Add in the weight of the Hitch and whatever else in the truck, and you generally exceed the truck's rear axle weight rating or the tire load rating before you reach the advertised max towing of the pickup.

The park model might be the winner idea, assuming you will have power/water/sewer all the time and not move the unit. Basically they are the size of an RV trailer but designed not to move often, and not to be self contained.

Heavier, but better insulation, a real flush toilet, all 110v lights, heat, air. Regular 110v fridge, no holding tanks or 12v water pump.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
Yeah that was kind if my thought. If it is going to be towed to a lakefront lot and not moved again, it might make sense to have someone deliver it.
That would be my thought. You'll spend $400-500 to get a good hitch and haul it up there. Spend a day or two of your time. And you take all risk and do all the work.

For $500, you could probably pay some one to take all the risks and do all the work for you.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:15 PM

Thanks fellas. I took you alls advice, bought a 30 ft bumper with slide.. Thanks for steering me in the right direction!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bama
Thanks fellas. I took you alls advice, bought a 30 ft bumper with slide.. Thanks for steering me in the right direction!
Perfect choice, we have friends with the same size trailer and slide on a lake lot, they love it and it is.. perfect. Enjoy and glad we could be of assistance.