Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

No Camper Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No Camper Brakes

I just installed a new Prodegy 2 brake controller and I am getting very little breaking action from the camper. I have to move the controller to the highest setting to get any brakes at all and that is very little brakes. Can I check the voltage at the plug in on the truck with the camper disconnected and if so what kind of reading should I get? The brakes seem to be fine but did not check their action with the hubs off.

Thanks for any info
Sam
Old 11-15-2015, 07:42 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you have a compass, old style, hold it beside the rear tire up close to the hub. Have someone step on the brakes. If the coils are working the needle will move to them. You may just need and adjustment.

Also, any time you deal with trailer lights or brakes, step one is always, repeat, always check the grounding. look it it closely. Ground issue will be the reason most of the time.

A trip under to inspect the wires is always #2
Old 11-16-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Electric brakes on 3500 or 4000 lb axles are a bit on the wimpy side to start with. Add to that 30-40 feet of wire that's a bit on the light side for 12 amps draw (2 axles) and downhill can get scary fer sure. Bad grounds, worn magnets, grooved magnet face in drum, glazed shoes, etc. just add to the troubles.

I had to completely rewire the brakes on the first fiver I bought. '88 Alpenlite, should have been top shelf, but it was 14 gauge and daisy chain wiring. Replaced it with 12G star wired from a terminal strip near the axles. All brake wiring in the tractor is also 12G. Ground to trailer is 10G, as is the ground wire in the trailer cable.

When I romp on the binders, it stops.